Holy pvp performance in arenas

90 Human Paladin
I've recently decides to venture out from the world of bg heroes and into arenas with the intent of going 2200+ and I wanted the opinion from the paladin community on the state of holy paladins post 5.3 in relation to pvp, specifically arenas though all feedback is appreciated.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Healers are dependent upon the others on their team. Its just a plain fact that the better players prefer to run with a shaman or a disc than a hpal.

The shaman tremor totem to break aoe fears, and spirit link are huge. They can range interrupt and offensively purge. Their hex is difficult to remove especially at high pressure moments. I feel it would be much much easier to hit 2200 with a rsham than hpal. Better toolkit and easier to find a better team.

Paladins have no offensive dispel. Our interrupt is melee, so if you are pillar humping, it will not be used. Your partners get aoe feared, you can only dispel one of them. We have a decent cc setup but two of them break on any damage so they do not work with any type of team that does dots. All of our cc can be dispelled. Since we can't range interrupt or fade, we get cc'ed easier than most healers. We have less HOTs so cc's have a bigger impact on us.

Save yourself the trouble, and if you are just starting, go Rsham. The devs seem committed to keeping them the dominant arena healer.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I completely agree. Stay a BG hero for a while or reroll bc arena healadin play is a bit frustrating at the moment.
Reply Quote
95 Human Paladin
I have seen a couple of posts from Ghostcrawler that they typically don't read "class" forums. He believes class forums are meant for "theory crafting" etc.

I strongly recommend that you repost this in arena or healing forums.

H Pally definitely needs help.
Edited by Boudecca on 5/31/2013 11:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Eh, if you communicate well with your partner then you'll do well. Just tell your partner which one you'll CC. Repent, blinding light, HoJ, then repent again. If you think you're going to be interrupted use Devotion Aura. You can run by and use your melee interrupts too. Plus you have a lot of heals that don't require a cast time, which is great. Holy Prism, Holy Shock, Eternal Flame. You have bubbles galore, especially with Clemency. And that's all without using your healing CDs.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
paladins get cc stuns to death way too easy and a force bubble from them is way too easy to pressure out.

if you're a paladin i would suggest going haste in 5.3 if you go crit you're not gonna get anywhere with slow heals and hoping for a crit.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Healing tier atm is like
Disc + Rdruid
Monk
Pally + RSham

which is better than it has been for us in a LONG time. The aura mastery and divine protection changes are great, if you play good hpally comps you can do just fine.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
fwiw, jungle cleave with an hpal was able to get close to rank 1 on bg9.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Shaman
I have done a few with a Hpal in 2 v 2 and when the other team bursts it seems like denounce is an awesome asset for a team, of course i am low MMR and not very experienced in ladder pvp. Other then that i think with a decent partner paladins do pretty darn good, they aren't resto druids or disc but they are still pretty darn good. My favorite thing to see is their arsenal of fun stuff, shiny lights, purple swirlies on heads, bunch of different hands, a few oh crap buttons etc etc. This isn't really on par with the UP/OP discussion but i think they hold their own at least from my stand point.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
The main problem with Hpal is the lack of reliable CCs and lack of ways to break out from other's CCs (Trinket and Divine Shield).

We have one single target stun with 60s cooldown, which can be dispelled. We have one Disorient with cast time, almost-melee range and high cooldown, which also can be dispelled, and we have one Incapacitate with cast time, 15s cooldown, which can be dispelled too. Depending on the pressure, we can't use 2 of our CCs, due the risk of being interrupted.

We're not like priests who can freely fear, or druids who can keep away, root and cyclone. Even rshan is better if you consider Entangling Totem + Capacitor Totem which are just click and go skills, also Tremor totem is way more usefull than Devotion Aura.

I would say Holy Paladin is the worst healer atm for PvP. You'll only realize that when you face a comp like yours, but with a diffent class healer.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
i don't use repentance as holy anymore. i pick up fist of justice (i like the shorter cd) or sometimes i get burden of guilt + speed of light combo to get away and heal (always works)

try new things? invest haste into your holy palla and stop sticking with crit!

if u arena stick with sacred shield over EF the heal over time is so !@#$ty imo. i rather get shield absorb every 5 sec that combo with illuminating heals for more absorb.

holy paladin is the worst healer cause people stick to old rules and are afraid to try new things.

5.3 is not a crit era for holy paladins LOL. u will fail if u stay with crit.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
i don't use repentance as holy anymore. i pick up fist of justice (i like the shorter cd) or sometimes i get burden of guilt + speed of light combo to get away and heal (always works)

try new things? invest haste into your holy palla and stop sticking with crit!

if u arena stick with sacred shield over EF the heal over time is so !@#$ty imo. i rather get shield absorb every 5 sec that combo with illuminating heals for more absorb.

holy paladin is the worst healer cause people stick to old rules and are afraid to try new things.

5.3 is not a crit era for holy paladins LOL. u will fail if u stay with crit.

I would like to see the haste performance in arena as it has to date been a fairly poor performer.

Mastery along with sacred shield was the goto setup in 5.2, the 40% reduction to absorb affects removes both of these as a viable option as illuminated healing was hit very hard and a 20k shield is a waste of time.

I would advise you go eternal flame and stack spirit and crit. You will not be healing through some comp setups out there atm as a holy pally no matter your setup. It would be a good time to re-roll to resto-shaman.
Edited by Vaega on 6/3/2013 2:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Imo I think hpally are in an awesome spot right now I don't understand why people are hating on them. I would definitely recommend playing a hpally in arena. I would recommend running with a melee comp though we have an amazing synergy with them.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Eternal Flame is a god send over the shield in Arenas, especially when facing Mages, who can spell steal the shield and make it hell on my melee partner (DK) to get them down before they snare or root and drop that stupid frost AOE. (Mage/Shadow Priest are my enemies, HATE THAT COMP)

I'm no PVP Arena expert in any capacity, just stating my personal preference. Currently spec'ing for Stam and Int in gems, spirit, then crit, then haste then mastery.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]