Words I can't name my pet....WHY?

90 Tauren Hunter
Alright. I'm more of a lurker, it's rare that I come out of the background to say anything, aside from feedback on Beta testing and whatnot. So I'm not a common face around here, which is probably a good thing, Blizz probably hears enough whining as it is.

However, today, and some days before, I have found a trend going on that I much don't understand. I have not been able to name my pets certain words.

Don't get me wrong, I know there's a system in place to filter words, and I understand a need for certain words to be filtered out, being offensive or just plain rude, and copyrights. I understood to an extent why I wasn't allowed to name my pink Devilsaur PinkiePie, and settled for Pinkie.

Yet the words I attempted to name my new pets (which since getting 50 new slots, I've been doggedly hunting all pink pets. Just cause you all know you want to see a stampede of hot pink pets going for some boss' face.) were NOT offensive words, atleast in my mind. To be fair, I'll place a list of them down so all other readers can look and decide if they find these words 'offensive' or whatnot, or maybe can explain why it isn't allowed.

Now maybe this is a bug. Doubt it, but for Blizz's sake, I'm just throwing that out there. Or maybe the system has been overloaded due to too many dipwads making 13-years-old-giggle-worthy names (no offense if you are 13, just using the example for an age group that bursts into giggles at the word 'breastpocket'. If you are 13 and don't giggle at words like that you are exemplary and should be praised.)

ANYWAYS, here's my list:

For my Pink Basilisk:
CottonCandy
Candy
PinkVodka
Pinktini
PinkPunch
Pinkjito
Mimosa
PinkMimosa
(and of course, various letter combos that still didn't go. I can't go with the belief that they're screening out alochol names since drinking is quite common ingame. And they are names of cocktails, therefore NOT brand names.)

For my Pink Tallstrider:
Pluck
Plucked
(and more variations cause I wanna call him Plucked darn it. He looks like a Plucked Chicken.)

So my fellow gamers, maybe you can give me an idea why I can't use these words, and maybe some possible other names to use.

(Cause I'm already wondering if I can use Pepto and Ta-tas on any pet if I can't name a bird Plucked or a lizard CottonCandy.)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
06/03/2013 11:34 PMPosted by Makki
just using the example for an age group that bursts into giggles at the word 'breastpocket'.

/shamed

On topic, I don't know why you can't name your pets that stuff. Why not try some more obscure references to the colour...

...Such as naming your pink pet "Prettyin"

;D
Edited by Evalain on 6/3/2013 11:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
/shrug

I just tend to name pink pets, such as the plainstrider, Pinkerton.

A lot of words seem to get put on the can't use list. I was quite annoyed when I couldn't name my venus flytrap pet as Audrey II.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
I was quite annoyed when I couldn't name my venus flytrap pet as Audrey II.

/tableflip

What else would one call such a pet?
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
06/03/2013 11:45 PMPosted by Horeton
I was quite annoyed when I couldn't name my venus flytrap pet as Audrey II.

/tableflip

I know right? D:<

It at least lets you use Audreytwo. But not Audrey, Lil Audrey, Audrey II, etc.
Reply Quote
1 Undead Warlock
Yeah, they're quite frankly too restricted on completely the wrong things.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Meanwhile monkeys and gorillas are named after famous black people.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter
Omg!! It seriously doesn't let you name them Audrey!?

*dies alittle more inside* T______T MY DREAMS! I was going to give it a biscuit too! *sob*

Well, atleast it lets you do variations. I did every variation I could think of for these names and it still wouldn't let me do it.

But totally fine with naming your tallstrider Flamingo (like that's not used 20kabillion times) >P
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter

.......Are you kidding me?

....As terribly racist as that is.................I would probably flip if I saw one named MorganFreeman.

First with a 'OMG SQUEE!' followed by the realization and then 'WTF MAN!? D<!'
*Morgan Freeman my favorite Black actor, cause...he's the awesomes. Duh.*
Edited by Makki on 6/3/2013 11:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
06/03/2013 11:48 PMPosted by Killercaitie

/tableflip

...?

I don't get this whole "Audrey" thing. Is it a TV thing?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter
06/03/2013 11:38 PMPosted by Evalain
just using the example for an age group that bursts into giggles at the word 'breastpocket'.

/shamed

On topic, I don't know why you can't name your pets that stuff. Why not try some more obscure references to the colour...

...Such as naming your pink pet "Prettyin"

;D

*pats* it's okay, we all went through that age and did the same giggle-fits. I can remember when I would burst into giggles at the song 'My Ding-a-ling'........

.......okay well maybe I still do. /shame.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter

...?

I don't get this whole "Audrey" thing. Is it a TV thing?

It comes from 'Little Petshop of Horrors' Audrey was a man-eating plant a guy accidentally raised and named after his love interest.

Also where the phrase 'FEED ME SEYMOUR!' Comes from. :D

And now suddenly I am tempted to make a random alt, name it Audrey, and make it a herbalist and run around turning into a plant and screaming 'FEED ME!!!!' and people. (yup, so glad I grew up. XD)
Edited by Makki on 6/4/2013 12:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
06/03/2013 11:54 PMPosted by Makki

....As terribly racist as that is.................I would probably flip if I saw one named MorganFreeman.

You've never seen that with hunter pets? lol
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter
06/04/2013 12:00 AMPosted by Teidenkeru

You've never seen that with hunter pets? lol

XD Nope, not yet, though I've only like seen 2 hunters with gorillas and one with a monkey with the fez. So probably why I haven't seen one yet XD
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
/shrug

I just tend to name pink pets, such as the plainstrider, Pinkerton.

A lot of words seem to get put on the can't use list. I was quite annoyed when I couldn't name my venus flytrap pet as Audrey II.

what about Audrey two?

oh darn forgot....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7SkrYF8lCU
Edited by Praetahim on 6/4/2013 12:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
And now suddenly I am tempted to make a random alt, name it Audrey, and make it a herbalist and run around turning into a plant and screaming 'FEED ME!!!!' and people. (yup, so glad I grew up. XD)

Oh no dear, not at all.

We grew older, we did not grow up.

what about Audrey two?
Has to be Audreytwo, & I mentioned above that using that version worked. :P
Edited by Killercaitie on 6/4/2013 12:04 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest

GRATZ?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter
06/04/2013 12:03 AMPosted by Killercaitie

Oh no dear, not at all.

We grew older, we did not grow up.

what about Audrey two?

Ah, so very true. The fact that I see MLP, carebears, strawberry shortcake and such and remember when it all first came out reminds me how much older I've gotten. XD...and the fact that I still love them all despite the fact *lol*

And yeah, unfortunately we can't use spaces in names. Nor random characters, though you can use special letters. They have about the same limitations as our own toons names.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter
My guess? Probably just an outdated system - no such restrictions apply to non-combat pets.

You're most likely right. Though I'm still amazed at the 'CottonCandy' one. Is it a label or is some rapper going by that now (sorry if you like rap, I just don't get some of the names XD).

I mean, what point is there to having fun naming* if you can't name your giant lizard that turns people into rock candy 'CottonCandy'? Has the world gone mad? D:!! It's a hot pink lizard what do you name it? Pinkzilla!?.......

.....actually now I might try that one.

((*woo, sad edit there, it's getting waaaay too late in the night XD))

Edit: On a random note off topic. Why are Rogue's colored yellow? Wouldn't like black or Gray fit them better in coloring? Yellow is like the brightest color ever, if you're a rogue, why would you want your dot being that color D:! Yellow is more fitting for like...Pallys. Light is Yellow after all.

...Random thoughts of a sleepy mind <3
Edited by Makki on 6/4/2013 12:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]