Resto Druid Gemming

100 Tauren Druid
Hello Everyone! I wanted to get a few opinions on gemming for my resto druid.

Right now I am gemming the following:

-Red: Int / Mastery
-Yellow: Mastery
-Blue: Spirit / Mastery

However I have seen a couple of other resto druids running the following:

-Red: Intellect
-Yellow: Int / Mastery
-Blue: Spirit / Mastery

I have also seen a few running hybrid spirit gems, however I haven't had any mana issues as of yet so I'm not including that option at this time.

Any thoughts of one over the other, or are they about even?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I like int/spirit in blues but to each their own.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
I believe you should be using straight mastery in yellow or mastery/spirit. I have my spirit a bit higher than yours for stressful 2 heal fights and use 320 spirit gems in blues. With the 2:1 trade-off mastery is simply better for us than int as far as I'm aware. I also use spirit gems in my prismatic but I might cut down on spirit soon for more mastery.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
HC
Red: Int/Mastery
Yellow: Int/Mastery (You could do pure mastery but the gain is negligible and if you ever used a HoTW spec/had to go boomkin... You'd be losing out)
Blue: Int/Spirit (Depending on the socket bonus)
Reply Quote
92 Worgen Druid
I might need to swap a few gems out(havent looked tbh) but i like int in red int/mastery in yellow and int/spi in blue. I havent had a mana issue unless Im spamming Regrowth but luckily I havent had to much.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Yellow: Int/Mastery (You could do pure mastery but the gain is negligible and if you ever used a HoTW spec/had to go boomkin... You'd be losing out)

If you prioritize int over mastery in yellow/blue for hotw, why take int/mastery in red?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
HC

If you prioritize int over mastery in yellow/blue for hotw, why take int/mastery in red?

I should have edited it for the Red as well (unless the socket bonus is more intellect), because as I said about yellow, mastery is still technically "stronger" than just plain int (this was actually a while ago, so maybe things have changed but I don't think so... but, Kaels helped me figure out exactly what point of mastery/int levels you have to be at where mastery starts to literally become superior by far, and we aren't there yet. Not sure if we ever will be since it's constantly scaling against int and other haste BPs), but it then doesn't allow flexibility for gear swaps/other talents (hotw). The gain is so negligble that it's not worth having to spend the gold in changing around gems every once in a while. I will say that if you're hardcore resto, never anything else, then mastery is superior. But by an incredibly small margin.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Mainly, I've been basing this off of the socket bonus recently. (When it comes to blue)

If the socket bonus is spirit I'll forgo a blue socket and count it as yellow/red. To each his own, but I would throw an Int/mastery, flat mastery (if it'll throw you over a %threshold) I would only throw in a spirit/mastery if you feel you're really treading the line of being comfortable with your mana.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
RED & BLUE - Int/Spirit
YELLOW - Int/Mastery

though I may soon change red to Int/Mastery cause I am having 0 mana issues.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Apparently there are a lot of different ways lol! Thanks to everyone for the input!

I should have edited it for the Red as well (unless the socket bonus is more intellect), because as I said about yellow, mastery is still technically "stronger" than just plain int (this was actually a while ago, so maybe things have changed but I don't think so... but, Kaels helped me figure out exactly what point of mastery/int levels you have to be at where mastery starts to literally become superior by far, and we aren't there yet. Not sure if we ever will be since it's constantly scaling against int and other haste BPs), but it then doesn't allow flexibility for gear swaps/other talents (hotw). The gain is so negligble that it's not worth having to spend the gold in changing around gems every once in a while. I will say that if you're hardcore resto, never anything else, then mastery is superior. But by an incredibly small margin.

Hmm, so basically?:

If I am full blown Resto Healing: Mastery > Int (by a small margin)

If I am riding bish and dpsing: Int > Mastery (save for Reds which I'm better off with the Int/Master over pure Int)

I guess I just need to see how often I'll be the odd healer out dpsing to see if going into more Int is worthwhile. I do have an almost full boomer set (mostly a mix of 502 gear and oddball 522 gear), but some of my resto gear has a much higher ilvl and better stats.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
It really boils down between spirit or mastery as your goal. People with lots of mastery tend to think mastery in everything, gear, rings and gems. Others think more spirit and so you'll see differences abound.

It's not always so simple to equate the throughout Vs Spirit debate in relation to gems. We're talking about relatively small differences. In regards to reforging, it actually makes a real impact.

I've played both sides of this coin and the tier 15 4-pc convinced me, that no matter how much mastery I could stack, it could not touch the 4-pc's bonus output. So I choose to have more regen to be able to push out many more rejuvenations than your standard mastery build.

On the other hand, one could argue that you could make those rejuvs more strong with more mastery and they have a point. But we often forget that we don't play in a box. We have adsorbs eating away at our healing negating a good fraction of our mastery by default. By 'spamming' so many rejuvs, we lesson this impact considerably.

It also allows us to 2 heal all those fights that call for it and even single heal a number of ToT bosses, something a very high mastery build would have greater difficulty performing.

I certainly won't claim either is best for everyone.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
It really boils down between spirit or mastery as your goal. People with lots of mastery tend to think mastery in everything, gear, rings and gems. Others think more spirit and so you'll see differences abound.

It's not always so simple to equate the throughout Vs Spirit debate in relation to gems. We're talking about relatively small differences. In regards to reforging, it actually makes a real impact.

I've played both sides of this coin and the tier 15 4-pc convinced me, that no matter how much mastery I could stack, it could not touch the 4-pc's bonus output. So I choose to have more regen to be able to push out many more rejuvenations than your standard mastery build.

On the other hand, one could argue that you could make those rejuvs more strong with more mastery and they have a point. But we often forget that we don't play in a box. We have adsorbs eating away at our healing negating a good fraction of our mastery by default. By 'spamming' so many rejuvs, we lesson this impact considerably.

It also allows us to 2 heal all those fights that call for it and even single heal a number of ToT bosses, something a very high mastery build would have greater difficulty performing.

I certainly won't claim either is best for everyone.

I see where it is very viable in 2 healing and solo healing, but what are your thoughts about it vs mastery for a group that generally 3 heals most fights?
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
I see where it is very viable in 2 healing and solo healing, but what are your thoughts about it vs mastery for a group that generally 3 heals most fights?

Really no need for extra spirit in that situation. I would even reforge my spirit where I can along with gems.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]