Raid Frames and their Meanings

100 Orc Death Knight
Greetings, healers!

I recently began playing my resto shaman again after several year break (and I am aware of the current state of resto, that's not why I am here). Back then, I used an addon called Grid that worked pretty well.

But now that Blizz has changed their default raid frames to show a lot more utility and customization, and my desire to use as few addons as possible, I find myself using Blizz's default frames and enjoying it.

However, there are some things about the frames I haven't really been able to find answers for. Basically it comes down to what the different graphics, symbols, etc. mean.

For instance, I know that I can see an incoming heal on a target. But what I don't understand is when you see that blue-ish bar with diagonal lines through it. Is that an abosrb shield?

What about some classes showing, when at full health, a thin, glowing blue bar at the very end of their health bar?

I am familiar with the red border with triangles on it, I believe that's who currently has aggro. I assume that other folks who get this, with yellow or orange means they are acquiring high amounts of threat?

Any other things I am missing I may not know about that could be useful?

I appreciate anyone who takes the time to answer my questions. In the nigh ten years I've been playing this game, it's generally always been tanks and DPS. The healing world is still a bit new to me, but it certainly is a very fun way of playing the game in it's own right. There is a certain amount of satisfaction gained knowing that you are the glue that kept the group alive. And I can sympathize that the healer role is generally a thankless one. A role that gains little praise when done well, and nothing but hate when things go wrong.

But I'll always be on your side. :-)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
I believe the blueish line is absorbs. But I am not 100% sure. I use VuhDo, not the default raid frames.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Death Knight
Are there any advantages to VuhDo over the default raid frames, other than personal preference?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
06/04/2013 01:10 PMPosted by Grimbuk
For instance, I know that I can see an incoming heal on a target. But what I don't understand is when you see that blue-ish bar with diagonal lines through it. Is that an abosrb shield?

To the best of my understanding, yes, that's the "value" of an absorb sitting on the player.

What about some classes showing, when at full health, a thin, glowing blue bar at the very end of their health bar?

I believe that one is "incoming overheal"!

I am familiar with the red border with triangles on it, I believe that's who currently has aggro. I assume that other folks who get this, with yellow or orange means they are acquiring high amounts of threat?

yep, I believe so!

... I use VuhDo raid frames, so all my above answers are what I've gathered from a day where I didn't have access to VuhDo and decided to do some LFRs anyway ;)

Are there any advantages to VuhDo over the default raid frames, other than personal preference?

Well, the... *range* of options with VuhDo is superior to what you can accomplish with the default Blizz raid frames. The most meaningful difference I've found so far is your ability to tell the addon more or less exactly which buffs/debuffs you WANT displayed on your raidframes (also I believe the size of the buff/debuff icon?). Both of those customizations are available in limited ways with the default raidframes, but it can be hugely beneficial for some of us to be able to pick and choose exactly what you want to see, if you wanted to go into VuhDo to give it specific instructions on a fight-by-fight basis.

It's most important on a fight like H Spine back in DS, or Durumu in ToT, where there are so many freaking squares on your raidframes it can be difficult to make sense of them fast enough to react to the ONE you actually need to hunt down >.>

The default raid frames allow you to see "all buffs/debuffs" or "only buffs/debuffs you can dispel" ... I believe. For the great majority of fights, this is sufficient, but every now and then one comes up where I throw my hands up in exasperation and open the VuhDo debuff section to basically "disable" buffs/debuffs which are irrelevant to me for the fight, and are confusing the issue for me whether some of them are dispellable (and yet... irrelevant) or not.
Edited by Ellarix on 6/4/2013 1:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest

Yep.

You can individually control how debuffs are displayed on health bars. You can use the "cluster finder" to see who is in range of spells like Circle of Healing, Wild Growth, Chain Heal, Holy Radiance, and Prayer of Healing (I believe it also works for things like Light of Dawn and Daybreak). You can also do things like add "Private Tanks" panels that will let you target or focus someone and they're added to that panel and you can heal them just as if they were int he main section of your raid bars, etc.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Is that an abosrb shield?

yes

Same it is an asorb (IH/DA/PW:S)

Any other things I am missing I may not know about that could be useful?

It's actually much better than it used to be. Been considering using it +clique+move anywhere.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Death Knight
Hmmm. Well, like I said before, I try to use as few addons as possible. WeakAuras is the only addon I could tuly not be able to live without, since it's so powerful for any class and highly customizable.

I use mouse-over healing macros for most of my heals as well as clique (since I can't macro mouseovers to mouse buttons apparently).

What would VuhDo offer me that the default set doesn't?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Hmmm. Well, like I said before, I try to use as few addons as possible. WeakAuras is the only addon I could tuly not be able to live without, since it's so powerful for any class and highly customizable.

I use mouse-over healing macros for most of my heals as well as clique (since I can't macro mouseovers to mouse buttons apparently).

What would VuhDo offer me that the default set doesn't?

You can individually control how debuffs are displayed on health bars. You can use the "cluster finder" to see who is in range of spells like Circle of Healing, Wild Growth, Chain Heal, Holy Radiance, and Prayer of Healing (I believe it also works for things like Light of Dawn and Daybreak). You can also do things like add "Private Tanks" panels that will let you target or focus someone and they're added to that panel and you can heal them just as if they were int he main section of your raid bars, etc.

It's also compatible with Clique and Mouseover Macros. It also offers the same functionality as Clique built in, if you want. You can also store "macros" in the addon itself, freeing up your macro space.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
06/04/2013 01:26 PMPosted by Grimbuk

fyi, I use a 12-button Logitech mmo mouse, and I have no issues with mouseover macros being mousebound, using VuhDo (have never used anything but VuhDo since I've had the mouse, so I couldn't advise you as to whether there are workarounds for non-VuhDo users).
Reply Quote
100 Orc Death Knight
Thanks Tiriel. You posted too quick while I was writing my last response. :-)

VuhDo definitely sounds pretty good. I am not sure if it's quite enough to push me over the edge to get it yet, but we'll see what happens when I start doing a lot more raid healing. I will certainly keep it in mind.

Oh, and Taelaus, I do use Move Anywthing as well but the default raid frames can actually, by default, be moved anywhere you want with an undocking option.

Thanks again for the replies!

Edit: I only use one extra button my mouse, so mouseover mouse button macros isn't too big a deal. Most of my macros are keyboard bound with standard buttons and Shift-button operators.
Edited by Grimbuk on 6/4/2013 1:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
HC
I like default, I've tried all those fancy shmancy addons that allow you to a bajillion things but I've always come back to default. It's pretty configurable and unless you want to go into tiny details like... Having someone's nameplate turn a different color when they have a debuff, there has been no real reason to switch. It is basically personal preference now, there's not much any addon can give you more of. They just let you configure things hardcore so you can have it extremely specific. I hope that explains it well ><
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Priest
Same as Fleurs. I've tried different UI's and always fall back to the default Blizzard UI. I'm just more comfortable with it and don't find myself missing any major information by using it.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I currently use vuhdo, I'd go back to the default if they fit exactly where I wanted them to and if it wasn't for that annoying bug where they lock the frames and if someone leaves it makes healing quite annoying until you reload.

I used the default frames for years and loved it :D
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
So basically, raid frame addons like Vuhdo are hands down more customizable. However!

95% of the extra customization is not really needed. Default raid frames already show incoming heals, absorbs, debuffs, etc. My opinion is the only major benefit to custom raid frames is using the cluster finder. Everything else for me falls under the "nice, but not mandatory" category.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest

Everyone has their own personal preferences, but the two features of VuhDo that makes it worthwhile for me would be:
1. Ability to move raid frames. Yes, I know you can do this with the default raid frames. But I need to keep the raid frames together by group, want them relatively centered and use them no matter what content I'm in. That's nightmarish with the basic raid frames, trivial with Vuhdo.

2. Direction arrow. This is probably the single most important piece of data on my raid frame. It's impossible to keep track of where precisely every single person in your raid is, so being able to rapidly tell which particular patch of fire some idiot decided to stand in is indispensible.
Reply Quote
Default frames do not have sex appeal.

:(
Reply Quote
92 Human Priest
the default frames are more than good enough.

i personally switched to vuhdo because i wanted more customization in frame sizes and placement. while you can unlock the default frames, the movement and layout are still somewhat limited.

2. Direction arrow. This is probably the single most important piece of data on my raid frame. It's impossible to keep track of where precisely every single person in your raid is, so being able to rapidly tell which particular patch of fire some idiot decided to stand in is indispensible.

true story.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I currently use vuhdo, I'd go back to the default if they fit exactly where I wanted them to and if it wasn't for that annoying bug where they lock the frames and if someone leaves it makes healing quite annoying until you reload.

I used the default frames for years and loved it :D

I am pretty sure they fixed that, as I haven't had any problems using the default raid frames in BGs since 5.1 or 5.2ish. Two things I recommend when using the defaults raid frames:

1) Turn on the energy bars. This allows you to see how much mana/rage/energy/runic power your tank has. This is extremely helpful at the start of a pull, so you do not drag aggro off a rage-starved bear. I also like to see how much mana my co-healer(s) have, so I can plan my spell usage, or call for raid CDs (Hymn, Mana Tide, etc.) appropriately.

2) Depending on the fight, toggle on or off Dispellable Debuffs only. On fights where it is critical I dispel the correct thing at the correct time (Horridon), I prefer to only show debuffs I can dispel, so I do not waste time clicking on useless things. On other fights where it is critical to see debuffs that can't be dispelled, but must be healed through (Durumu with Arterial Cut), I turn all debuffs back on.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Vuhdo is far superior to the default frames. Not only do you get more information you also have options to display that information in a myriad of ways.

For example, say I want to know if my Wildgrowth will hit the optimal amount of people. How can I know this on the default frames? How can I know if I place Swiftmend down that I will have a good cluster of folks within 10 yards to benefit? VuhDo. You can do the same thing with Chain Heal or PoH.

VuhDo takes a bit to work out correctly and some people just haven't spent enough time discovering all the goodies within. There is a lot more to it than what I have said so just try it out but be warned. When you first load it up it won't look anything like mine or what you will have it setup like.

I took a screenie a mintue ago in a 5 man to give you an idea -

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa103/Pancakes4breakfast/WoWScrnShot_060513_143932_zps9a769eae.jpg
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
HC
06/05/2013 03:03 PMPosted by Trollmendous
also have options to display that information in a myriad of ways.

Actually you get the same information from default frames, the above ^ quote is the only difference now.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]