Raid Frames and their Meanings

90 Blood Elf Mage
Default frames do suggested targets now Fleurs?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
also have options to display that information in a myriad of ways.

Actually you get the same information from default frames, the above ^ quote is the only difference now.

You certainly won't get the default frames letting you know 'targets' for certain limiting spells. I don't know about you, but guessing who to cast Wildgrowth on is a pretty 'big' deal or dropping SM-Efflor. Imagine a Paladin guessing on whom to cast HR and HS on or a priest using PoH-CoH.

Not only that, you're stuck with those little bitty icons that aren't ever in the same place on the frame.

You can't 'ignore' certain debuffs by removing them completely.

You can't have separate panels for 10, 25 and 40m with different saved configurations.

You can't have panels for pets alone or tanks or friendly bosses to heal.

You can't have sounds.

Color changes.

Hot bars.

Customization colors for debuffs.

Special indicators for threat, mana or mouseover.

'Information' is one of the keys to efficient healing and controlling what you need to see and how you want to see it is advantageous and this alone makes the default frames sub-par.

Every single thing you see displayed on my panel in that screenshot can be changed -

Background panel color.
Icons - have defult or change to grid style
Names - change text, color to class or not, fonts etc and move able.
Text
HP/-HP
Indicators
Border
Aggro
Size/Individual sizes for all items
CGD
Edited by Trollmendous on 6/5/2013 3:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
HC

Actually you get the same information from default frames, the above ^ quote is the only difference now.

You certainly won't get the default frames letting you know 'targets' for certain limiting spells. I don't know about you, but guessing who to cast Wildgrowth on is a pretty 'big' deal or dropping SM-Efflor. Imagine a Paladin guessing on whom to cast HR and HS on or a priest using PoH-CoH.

Not only that, you're stuck with those little bitty icons that aren't ever in the same place on the frame.

You can't 'ignore' certain debuffs by removing them completely.

You can't have separate panels for 10, 25 and 40m with different saved configurations.

You can't have panels for pets alone or tanks or friendly bosses to heal.

You can't have sounds.

Color changes.

Hot bars.

Customization colors for debuffs.

Special indicators for threat, mana or mouseover.

'Information' is one of the keys to efficient healing and controlling what you need to see and how you want to see it is advantageous and this alone makes the default frames sub-par.

Every single thing you see displayed on my panel in that screenshot can be changed -

Background panel color.
Icons - have defult or change to grid style
Names - change text, color to class or not, fonts etc and move able.
Text
HP/-HP
Indicators
Border
Aggro
Size/Individual sizes for all items
CGD

I get your point, but these are all luxuries and personal preferences that I personally feel we do not need in order to get the job done efficiently. Most important things, at least for me, to see, are debuffs, incoming damage, incoming heals, CDs, overhealing, in-rage and out-of-range targets, quick response damage pattern (can explain that if you want), colored frames since I don't usually look @ names, mana of co-healers. Can't think of anything else... But I'm bout to pull Animus.

But again, these are all pretty much personal preferences in how much you want to customize or configure everything. Some like it simpler, some don't. You don't really gain much by using an addon other than what I just said.
Edited by Fleurs on 6/5/2013 5:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
I'm bout to pull Animus.

GL!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
1. Ability to move raid frames. Yes, I know you can do this with the default raid frames. But I need to keep the raid frames together by group, want them relatively centered and use them no matter what content I'm in. That's nightmarish with the basic raid frames, trivial with Vuhdo.

False. Check "Use raid-style party frames." Check "Keep groups together". Unlock them. Drag wherevar. My raid frames are in the exact same spot (just to the right of the chat box) in 5-mans, 10-mans, and LFR.

2. Direction arrow. This is probably the single most important piece of data on my raid frame. It's impossible to keep track of where precisely every single person in your raid is, so being able to rapidly tell which particular patch of fire some idiot decided to stand in is indispensible.

This is entirely true.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
06/05/2013 03:03 PMPosted by Trollmendous
How can I know this on the default frames?

You don't have to know. You just realize what your position is and where everyone else is. It's not something you have to check really either. But it does take some used too.

06/05/2013 03:03 PMPosted by Trollmendous
How can I know if I place Swiftmend down that I will have a good cluster of folks within 10 yards to benefit? VuhDo. You can do the same thing with Chain Heal or PoH.

Same as above but with Chain Heal if its spread out and you don't have it glyphed then you're going to hit it in melee. Maybe in 25 man where there is a cluster but I'm not 100 percent sure about that.

Of course this is all my opinion but I honestly do not see a difference in performance. I see it more as of preference.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
06/05/2013 07:03 PMPosted by Marathel
How can I know this on the default frames?

You don't have to know. You just realize what your position is and where everyone else is. It's not something you have to check really either. But it does take some used too.

How can I know if I place Swiftmend down that I will have a good cluster of folks within 10 yards to benefit? VuhDo. You can do the same thing with Chain Heal or PoH.

Same as above but with Chain Heal if its spread out and you don't have it glyphed then you're going to hit it in melee. Maybe in 25 man where there is a cluster but I'm not 100 percent sure about that.

Of course this is all my opinion but I honestly do not see a difference in performance. I see it more as of preference.

Ultimately, though, that isn't what he was asking. He was asking how he could see that information on the default raid frames. And, the thing is, you can't.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Ultimately, though, that isn't what he was asking. He was asking how he could see that information on the default raid frames. And, the thing is, you can't.

"Vuhdo is far superior to the default frames"

Again it's just my opinion but above was the reason for my reply.

And yet I get what you're saying and what the OP said. My reply just wasn't meant to be all the way though. Just a response to the quote above. Meh. Maybe I just been with default frames for just too long.
Edited by Marathel on 6/5/2013 8:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
I'm not saying people can't get the job done because many good healers do use them (the default) and excel.

What I'm trying to get across is the fact that I like my relevant information delivered to me in a way that registers visually and is another reason that my monitor is a 55" LCD HDTV.

More options isn't a negative thing although it can become a challenge to work it to one's liking. But I really believe it's worth it on the long run.

My hope is that people new to healing at least give it a chance and spend some quality time with the add-on before completely abandoning the idea.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
I've always used healbot since I started raiding on my sham in WoLK. I use a normal mouse so it's nice giving me the options of easily setting up shift alt and crtl macros.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]