Healing pets...

90 Human Paladin
I'm just wondering if any other healers heal pets. I was doing a Hour of Twilight heroic yesterday and the Warlock kept telling me to heal his pet (even though his pet apparently dies instantly). I've been keeping the group alive throughout the entire dungeon, and yet, he still calls me a crappy healer because I didn't heal his pet. Seriously? He said "he's not use to having a crappy healer." He didn't say it exactly like that, but the word he used for instead of "crappy" would of got censored anyways. But back to my point, since he said this, do healers actually heal player's pets? I honestly think it's a waste of time, mana, and global cooldown to heal their pet when I'm suppose to be keeping the group alive (which I've did during the entire dungeon). Even when the group told him I don't have to heal his pet, he still complains about it..
Reply Quote
People complain about all kinds of things, I wouldn't take it to heart. Most pets don't take damage in 5 mans, unless the player is doing something wrong, such as growl is on or a lock is using his blueberry. If he was running his blueberry the tank was probably less than pleased anyways and happy if the warlocks tank dropped.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I don't normally heal pets. Warlocks and hunters have heals that they can toss on their own pets if need be. But... why was his pet being killed? It should have had threat and unless it stood in stuff (which correct me if i'm wrong, i don't recall that place have THAT strong of an aoe problem).
The few times i do heal a pet is if the tank goes down for whatever reason and the pet can hold its own. Yes, the tank can go down to stupid stuff or pulling too far ahead of a group, etc.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Generally, no. I usually don't notice or care.

Definitely wouldn't allow some warlock to talk down to me for it, though. He's got his own ways to heal it. Use them.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Depends in arena I do heal pets and on heroic dark animus you have to heal pets aswel.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Priest
Learn to Mend Pet, Huntard.

I will if I'm bored, or if the pet class is REALLY good and is keeping mobs from nomming my face if the tank sucks. I do keep pets displayed on my 5mans for that reason.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
If the pet is dying a lot, they probably need to turn off the threat presence/taunt.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
If the pet is dying a lot, they probably need to turn off the threat presence/taunt.

^ This.

Sometimes I will heal a pet just out of boredom, but the onus for keeping pets alive most certainly is not on healers. Anyway, I can remember when it was kind of a PITA to keep my pet alive on my hunter if a DoT was ticking on it or something, but that's really not the case now. I think DPS just need to get over it.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
06/06/2013 04:53 AMPosted by Deathpallyx
But back to my point, since he said this, do healers actually heal player's pets?

Yes I do. It is not that big of a deal.

It is a dps increase. However, if you don't the pet should not be dying a lot unless something is going wrong.

Don't locks have an instant resummons if their pet dies? That would make it 1 gcd of dps you are saving by healing that pet.

Mostly I do it between pulls because I can heal and run at the same time. That way the hunter/lock whatever is not staying behind while the group runs forward.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I often do, but only if I have GCD's to burn and everyone is at or near full health.

<S>
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
That warlock really has better pets to use in a dungeon than a voidwalker.

You're fine. Pets don't typically get heals, unless for whatever reason you're asked to/absolutely need to(derptank is dead, deliberate pet tanking, you need to the save group from all-out wipe.)

Some groups expect you to not heal pets. I've been told off before for compulsively dropping a Rejuv on that dropping health bar that turned out to be a pet bar. And most dungeons don't require you to heal pets, since those who use them - warlock and hunter - have their own pet heals. Plus, if you're struggling for mana, that's one more bar to fill that will run your mana down even faster.

So basically, don't worry, the warlock was a sooky sue and you're A-okay.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
I do not unless it's some weird circumstance (Dark Animus) where I know ahead of time I need to. Otherwise, nope.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
The only healing a pet is going to get is any Wild Growth healing it takes.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Priest
I don't ever try to actively heal pets, unless the tank is dead and the Warlock/Hunter is attempting to tank with pet to save a wipe. The pet shouldn't take much damage at all, since pets take 90% less AoE damage, which is mostly what hits non-tanks. The pet might get some incidental healing from my AoE heals, but that's it.

You were doing fine, the Warlock was just an idiot.
Reply Quote
87 Undead Priest
if i have nothing else to do i'll heal a pet, but smart hunters/locks will either take care of it or not complain when they die, and the ones that do get reminded of the fact they can heal their own pets easier than me (gotta love %based heals).
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Depends on the situation. Usually, in LFRs or 5 mans, the pet is on their own. Though, since smite healing isn't picky, they tend to get a heal or 3. World boss, not my issue. It is your pet, and your dps that will suffer if it dies.

But, if I'm in a situation where a pet is tanking, effectively, then yes I would heal it. Such situations tend to be things like heroic scenarios or Barrens Commanders. You can be certain I'd prefer that VWer tank that Commander, rather than watch that thing chase my clothie butt around.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Depends in arena I do heal pets and on heroic dark animus you have to heal pets aswel.

You don't have to actively heal pets on heroic DA. Smart heals and soul link = profit.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
I heal pets ALL the time.

Not by choice, mainly because the developers refuse to look at wild growth. This is the reason we cannot pre-hot a raid with WG. For some stupid reason, if you try to pre-hot with WG, say .1 seconds before a quake stomp for example, if everyone were at 100% health, every single WG will go to EVERY active pet, no matter what. I have 2 hunters, a dk and a mage with a pet. If I ever cast WG proactively, 100% will go straight to pets.

If you don't heal pets; You don't play resto druid, and I envy the fact your heals don't get wasted on such garbage.
Edited by Tonydanza on 6/7/2013 6:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Rogue
I don't even have pet frames on. All pet classes have a way of healing it themselves.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]