Final Fantasy XIV - A Realm Reborn

90 Tauren Warrior
This is not a post meant to announce the next major "WoW killer" (that will never happen) Let's keep it positive.

That said, I simply want to inform those that may be interested. This is NOT a Sandbox or action oriented game. This is a traditional trinity (Tank/heal/dps) based raid progression (vertical and horizontal) oriented game. There will be 4, 8, and 24 man PVE content. If any of that tickles your fancy, read on.

Release date: August 27th
Current status: Closed Beta phase 3 (starting June 14th)
Monthly price: $12.99

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/product/ - includes details on collectors edition as well as pre-order bonuses.

This game is by no means in any way similar to Final Fantasy XI, and it is a complete and total re-iteration of the original Final Fantasy XIV. This is the new Director (Naoki Yoshida) and his vision. The engine, graphics, content, UI and mechanics - you name it, it's changed. A Realm Reborn was built from the ground up as a new game.

It will be cross platform for the PC and PS3. The interface has been created to allow for smooth gameplay whether you choose to use keyboard+mouse, or a gamepad.

PS3 and PC users both get the option to use the "Cross Hotbar" system:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J7kO8BTZDU

Races:

There are 5 races to choose from, all with male and female variant with 2 subcategories (for lore reasons and subtle changes in aesthetics).

Hyur: Midlanders and Highlanders.

Miqo'te: Seekers of the Sun and Keepers of the Moon.

Elezen: Wildwood and Duskwight.

Roegadyn: Sea Wolves and Hellsguard.

Lalafell: Plainsfolk and Dunesfolk.

Major starting cities:

Uldah:

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/static/img/1302/world/cities/ul-dah/ul-dah_017.jpg

"The bustling commercial hub of Ul'dah sits amid the desolate desert landscape of southern Aldenard. The city is organized strategically around the dome-shaped citadel at its center. Its towering fortifications and protective outer walls are visible for malms in all directions, and serve as a stark deterrent to would-be besiegers."

Gridania:

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/static/img/1302/world/cities/gridania/gridania_013.jpg

"In the eastern reaches of the Aldenard landmass, home to vast, dense woodlands and coursing rivers, lies the forest nation of Gridania. The cityscape is a mosaic of labyrinthine waterways and great wooden structures, so gracefully constructed they seem a part of the surrounding environment."

Limsa Lomina:

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/static/img/1302/world/cities/limsa-lominsa/limsa-lominsa_006.jpg

"On the southern coast of the island of Vylbrand, under the shadow of ancient cliffs worn by the relentless onslaught of the Rhotano Sea, lies the marine city-state of Limsa Lominsa. Said to be blessed by the goddess of navigation, Llymlaen, the city is spread out over countless tiny islands, each connected by sturdy bridges of iron and wood construction, earning her the name the "Navigator's Veil" from traveling bards who have witnessed the city's beauty from afar."

Group oriented content:

18 dungeons at launch (at minimum) starting at level 15.

Raid content includes Crystal Tower and Labrynth of Bahamut. Progression planned for atleast a year after launch.

Primal battles: Ifrit, Garuda, Good King Moggle Mog, Titan, Odin, Ramuh, Leviathan, and possible more. (These may be included in the F.A.T.E system)

F.A.T.E (Full Active Time Event) - These are dynamic events that will occur at random while exploring zones.

Armoury:

"In the Armoury System, changing your adventuring style—or class—is as simple as changing what you hold in your hand.

Each class is capable of performing unique actions which are learned as you gain experience and your level rises. Furthermore, achieving a certain level of mastery in multiple classes will unlock jobs, which feature even greater specialization.

Classes are suited to those who desire versatility, as they allow the use of actions that belong to other disciplines. In contrast, jobs grant access to exclusive actions and are ideal for situations that demand well-defined roles. Which fighting style you adopt is entirely up to you."

Classes ---> Jobs

Marauder ---> Warrior
Pugilist ---> Monk
Gladiator ---> Paladin
Lancer ---> Dragoon
Archer ---> Bard
Conjurer ---> White Mage
Thaumaturge ---> Black Mage
Arcanist ---> Summoner/Scholar

Armoury Chest:

This goes hand in hand with the Armoury system mentioned above. It will offer a completely seperate storage for gear sets for individual classes and jobs.

Each item slot will be able to hold 25 items of that type. This is SEPARATE from your normal inventory (which has 100 slots by itself) and you will be able to save, and name gear sets in the UI.

Crafting and Gathering

"Their trade encompasses knowledge of all of Hydaelyn's natural resources, be it in a cultivated garden or the great outdoors. As a cornerstone of Eorzea's economy, their impact on her inhabitants can hardly be overstated."

Carpenter
Blacksmith
Armorer
Goldsmith
Leatherworker
Weaver
Alchemist
Culinarian

Miner
Botanist
Fisher

Housing:

Each major city will have a housing district. There will be a variety of houses and sizes to choose from and this will be personal and guild housing. These will not only offer a place to call home, but there will be benefits, such as extra experience gain.

There will be neighborhoods of sorts, and once the "instance" is full, a new one is created. You'll never have to worry about overcrowding or not being able to find a place for a house.

Want to buy a house and sell it/trade it? You can do that.

You will be able to decorate your house in a variety of ways with furniture, fireplaces, hot tubs, gardens, carpets, etc. Killed Ifrit? Use his skull as a mantle piece.

Crafters will be able to build parts for the housing.

You will be able to have a marketplace outside of your housing to sell wares.

Combat:

This is a traditional hotbar based MMO. It starts out slower paced, but the complexity will be layered on as the game progresses.

Combat will feature a "Limit Break" system (more details later) which will be a unique group coordinated effort.

Along with Limit Breaks, there is a combo system in place that will keep you engaged and (especially for melee) always trying to find the right position for maximum dps. (due to positioning bonuses)

Main resources are MP and TP (Tactical Points) these allow you a variety of choices in which skills to use in battle but you'll need to manage them efficiently.

There will be ways in which to speed up the global cooldown, such as gear and HASTE.

Chocobos:

Not only will your Chocobo be your most loyal companion, it will also be able to assist you in battle (with the help of some familar greens of course!). You will be able to assign roles and abilities to your chocobo. (more info on this later)

Barding allows you to customize the look of your Chocobo.

Along with Chocobos, there will be a variety of mounts in the game.

Additional:

Marriage

You will be able to dye your armor.

Vanity slots planned in second major patch.

Over 40 pets in the game so far. (these offer no bonuses to gameplay, they are simply for cuteness and collectors)

Servers will be located in Japan, Europe and North America.

Open beta will begin sometime in July.

If ANY of this managed to peak your interest, head over to http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/ to sign up for beta.
Edited by Xerich on 6/9/2013 5:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
You seem to know a lot of the game so I'll just ask you. Have they announced a pricing structure yet?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
You seem to know a lot of the game so I'll just ask you. Have they announced a pricing structure yet?

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/product/

Entry level: 12.99 - 1 character per server, 8 maximum

Standard: $14.99 - 8 characters per server, 40 maximum
Edited by Xerich on 6/6/2013 1:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=y2nfLWxYin4#!
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
Square-Enix Presents - E3 streaming schedule - Starting 12pm PST/8pm GMT today

Livestream here:

http://www.youtube.com/squareenixpresents

Schedule as PDF:

http://square.vo.llnwd.net/o2/e3/SEP...m_ver_0607.pdf

Tuesday Schedule

12:00 (Noon) ~ Grand Opening
12:30PM ~ Square Enix Members-Booth Walkthrough: Thief Theater
1:00PM ~ Deep Silver Presents-Saints Row IV
1:30PM ~ Square Enix Presents-Community Contest
2:00PM ~ Square Enix Members-Exclusive Interview: Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD ReMix
3:00PM ~ Square Enix Presents-E3 Trailer Lineup
4:00PM ~ Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn – Producer Live Letter 1
5:00PM ~ Square Enix Channel! in E3 Part 1
6:00PM ~ Day 1 Closing

Wednesday Schedule

9:45AM ~ Day 2 Opening
10:00AM ~ Square Enix Channel! in E3 Part 2
11:00AM ~ Focus On~Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD ReMix
11:30AM ~ Murdered: Soul Suspect Theater Walkthrough
12:00 (Noon) ~ Eidos Montreal Studio Walkthrough and Dev Roundtable
1:00PM ~ Focus On~Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII
1:30PM ~ Square Enix Presents-E3 Trailer Lineup
2:30PM ~ Square Enix Presents-Community Contest
3:00PM ~ Square Enix Members Exclusive Interview-Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII & Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster
4:00PM ~ Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn-Battle Event Recap & Community
5:00PM ~ Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII & Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster Twitter Session
6:00PM ~ Day 2 Closing

Thursday Schedule

9:45AM ~ Day 3 Opening
10:00AM ~ Square Enix Members Exclusive Interview-Deus Ex Human Revolution: Director’s Cut
10:30AM ~ Perfecting the Art of Play-Behind Square Enix Products
11:00AM ~ Jam Dat Turbo @ Square Enix
11:30PM ~ Murdered: Soul Suspect Theater Walkthrough
12:00 (Noon) ~ Future of Final Fantasy Press Conference Recap
12:30PM ~ Square Enix Members Exclusive Interview-Deus Ex Human Revolution: The Fall
1:00PM ~ Square Enix Presents-E3 Trailer Lineup
2:00PM ~ Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn – Producer Live Letter 2
3:00PM ~ Square Enix Members Exclusive Interview-New iPhone/iPad title
3:30PM ~ Crystal Dynamics Uncut
4:00PM ~ Square Enix Presents-Community Contest
4:30PM ~ Grand Finale
Edited by Xerich on 6/11/2013 6:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
I'm definitely going to be playing this for a while. The first version a couple of years ago was horrible, but they've completely remade the whole thing into what looks like an actual MMO by today's standards. It looks like they have taken a lot of cues from WoW, some from GW2 and some from stuff they did a long time ago in FFXI. And the best part is they are communicating with and implementing ideas from the community 24/7.
In the old days you never heard peep from this company as they pulled the strings from behind the curtain. I'm glad they stepped into 2013 and decided that the fans can make or break you.

Plus the game is gorgeous to look at.
Edited by Jumble on 6/13/2013 5:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
71 Undead Mage
This is the game that really got me started on MMO's and RPG's mainly. I love the old console versions, but they have destroyed the franchise with the online versions. After how bad the first ones were, I will never buy/play another online FF game again. Hope other people find enjoyment with it though.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
This is the game that really got me started on MMO's and RPG's mainly. I love the old console versions, but they have destroyed the franchise with the online versions. After how bad the first ones were, I will never buy/play another online FF game again. Hope other people find enjoyment with it though.

For it's time, FFXI was a pretty good MMO. I enjoyed playing it a lot more than I did EQ.

A lot of its concepts just didn't age well in the post-WoW market.
Reply Quote
74 Blood Elf Priest
I'm still quite excited for this title, and will likely get a copy for my PS3/4 (Collector's edition :3) and maybe a copy for my PC, pending how well the PC handles it during Open Beta. I'll be going the miqo'te male route with a friend, possibly gonna be a white mage (though archer and black mage both seem neat, as well). PS3 UI looks really nice, plus I can use a keyboard for chatting if I need/want to (or just sit back all relaxed and derp around with quests/FATEs/playing in cities, etc...)

And they have the hairstyle I want <3 (along with a first/last name feature... so I can get the name I want~).

I'm not sure if there's an in-game voice system a PS3 player could use in lieu of mumble/teampseak or vent... but I do have a laptop, so I could just have vent/mumble/teamspeak running on that instead. (or Skype, as some groups seem to go)

Still holding out hope that when they implement the marriage feature, that they allow same-sex characters use it together. But I feel that Japan's culture will be more of the deciding factor in that decision (unless they just do it by region, or something).
Reply Quote
I just got a email with my beta information - set up my PS3 and started downloading. I'll finish the download tonight and play it tomorrow.

But let me explain.

I played FFXI for years.

I now play World of Warcraft.

I've played Rift, LOTRO, Neverwinter, Warhammer...

I all ways go back to Wow cause the reality is... all MMO's have the same design. You create a character quest/level gain abilities...etc

I think I'll play the beta and just see, but I don't see my self going to it and starting all over again with a MMO.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
Starting all over again in an MMO is the thing I desire most. I love Azeroth but I'm pretty sick of it. Not the games fault.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Starting all over again in an MMO is the thing I desire most. I love Azeroth but I'm pretty sick of it. Not the games fault.

I have to agree. Much as I love raiding in WoW, there's a lot of fun to be had installing a new MMO and leveling a toon for the first time -- or if the game's well designed, the first time per faction.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
so far enjoying the beta !
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
this game is fantastic
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
definitely going to unsub wow after this game officialy launch
i hope i didnt come back to wow
Reply Quote
98 Human Warlock
I didn't think I'd wind up liking as much as I did, it has all the makings of a good square enix game (as opposed to a bad one, which there's no median, there's just good and bad)

The music, the world, the story

I'm kind of tired of quest based progression, but having what amount to dynamic events to break up the monotony helps, not to mention the guildleve stuff

My one complain is the difficult so far, as a thaumaturge it's a bit schizophrenic. The level 15 story mission that has you meet (who I'm guessing is) the main antagonist is so much harder than anything else you've done in the game up until that point, to the point I'm not sure if it's possible for the squishies.
Reply Quote
74 Blood Elf Priest

My one complain is the difficult so far, as a thaumaturge it's a bit schizophrenic. The level 15 story mission that has you meet (who I'm guessing is) the main antagonist is so much harder than anything else you've done in the game up until that point, to the point I'm not sure if it's possible for the squishies.

It's completely possible, I've seen many Thamauturges and Conjurers come out of that in tact. There's a strategy to that particular encounter, although I'm not entirely sure if we're allowed to discuss it outside of the beta in particular detail or not. (So I'm playing it safe :P)

But, on my Lancer, I loved that encounter. Made me think for a bit and come up with my own strategy (not the ideal one, but it worked) instead of just being able to say "veni, vidi, vici" two minutes after the encounter started. Still have to try it on my Conjurer, but I think it'll go smoothly so long as I don't do anything too dumb, lol. (Took a few risks on my lancer that would kill the squishier people).

The first dungeon without a healer was similarly fun, we had to plan each pull, sleep a mob or two here and there, and plan a very "I have no idea if this'll work" strategy for the last boss (which worked, though I accidentally pulled threat and died >.>;)

Overall, I'm really impressed with this game so far. It has it's own, unique feel and style that meshes well with the game's universe and makes play easy. PS3 users were also commenting, a lot, that the controls were easy to use... I still have to try it on my PS3, shocked how well it runs on my PC lol.

Fave part was totally when everyone formed a line to complete a bugged quest, since only one person could do it at a time without it exploding.
Edited by Ryniel on 6/16/2013 2:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
so much good impression around, i hope its as succes as GW2 or even better at launch and the rest of beta
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Warrior
Not interested in Solo unfriendly game.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
Not interested in Solo unfriendly game.

It is solo friendly.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]