Server mergers are inevitable...

100 Blood Elf Paladin
06/08/2013 07:01 AMPosted by Rîtual
I still believe they will kill/merge some realms. This week's price reduction is a precursor of things to come. They'll see where everything shakes out to, collect the data, make decisions and take action.

There's definitely sense to this post. I imagine they are working on some sort of solution to the server problem but they need to consider a lot of things before proceeding with it.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
06/08/2013 06:02 AMPosted by Rîtual
That list is a bit deceptive, in my opinion. It lists my old realm, Sisters of Elune, as medium pop which is frankly laughable. If that's what Blizzard considers "medium" population, I truly feel for those stuck on what Blizzard defines as "low."

I can vouch for this on Arathor as well. I wonder if there is a way to use auction data to get a more realistic picture? Whenever I log onto a realm I check the AH for mounts (Arathor often has either none listed or maybe a couple of JC mounts).

I see neither of you two got the memo where they decided to redefine the population levels.
Low = anything less than medium
Medium = anything less than high, but more than low
High = Anything above medium, but not full
Full = The gold standard of where they wished all realms could be.

The actual numbers involved are not public, but it doesn't take a rock (<---intentional spelling) scientist to determine that what was once considered low, is now a medium pop realm.

I don't think you understand how it works...

Server population levels are based off a comparison to the most populated server on a given battlegroup.

So, for example, if the most populated server in your battlegroup has 100 toons, and your server has 80 - well, that's a high pop server IN YOUR BATTLEGROUP. Where as lets say the top populated server in your battle group has 10,000 and yours has 80, then you are on a low populated server again IN YOUR BATTLEGROUP.

So as you can see from this example a server with a population of 80 could be low, medium, or high - relevant to the BATTLEGROUP.

Hope that makes it clear.
Edited by Smokefire on 6/8/2013 7:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm definitely all for a low server merge. I was on borean tundra server yesterday just to check it out cause it was a server that I was on for a while when I started playing wow. it's so dead there no one talks, there's hardly anyone on, galleon and rares remained untouched the whole time with no effort to form a group. Most likely because it's pointless to try on that server.
At the same time though it's already at the point where blizz should stop letting people on stormrage. Log in que times are nightly and it's a pain when you are trying to get a raid group there on time. Not everyone has the option to log on an hour early when they are just getting off work in time for a raid. :) Free character transfers would be nice since people shouldn't have to pay to leave just because blizzard messed up by letting more people in especially with the discount toon transfers this past week. And no one wants to transfer to a dead or dying realm. If they could merge the servers so realms aren't so dead or give better options for the free transfer it might actually work for once.
Edited by Corruptlyn on 6/8/2013 7:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Do you guys really think Merging servers is going to solve the problem permanently?

Ok you merge two low pop servers together..the population improves okay problem solved right??? Wrong players can still faction transfer, players can still server transfer, players can still chose to roll or start playing on another server.. all of which means while the merger increased the population it does not mean that population will stay on that server.

That is why many think the solution is going to have to be more than just Merge the servers

Maybe it is going to mean limiting server transfers to once every 6 months or to raise the price of the services? Maybe it means limiting server choices when new players start playing or when you want to re roll and play on another server.. if said server is full it is closed to new rerolls or new players.

Maybe solving the problem means we will not have some of the freedoms we now enjoy or the services we now use... fixing the low pop servers permanently is going to affect us all and it will not always be pleasant.. I agree it needs to be done

Maybe instead of merging they open up CRZ even more allowing Cross realm guilds and raiding on current content , Cross realm AH.. might not that be a better option then merging and closing a server? If more capacity is needed we have it, closing and opening servers is not something that is done like turning on a light .. it takes time.. So say they cut the servers down by 1/2 of what they have now... new expansion drops and many new and old players come to the game.. now we have 2 hr play ques like with Did when Wrath hit.. No one liked that then and it will be no different now.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
06/08/2013 07:31 AMPosted by Rîtual
Hope that makes it clear.

Wait a minute folks! We have a rock scientist on the scene now!
All of the questions shall be answered succinctly and accurately, with data to bolster the information provided.

You're over thinking the intentional vagueness in my parody of defining realm populations.

Funny thing is though, that most players believe what you posted.

If you do a little research you may find that what I posted is 100% true. Realm population levels are based off a comparison within the battle group.
Reply Quote
I think you're all forgetting something.

The process of merging servers is not something that is easily done just by pushing a button. There's tons of data just for one server. Merging only 2 servers is considered a big process. That would require a good amount of work to transfer all that data to another one.

We're not talking about just a character.

There's the fact of all those mails that haven't been opened, the server-bound items, the guilds, the bank items, every little things like that, that makes the whole process complex. It's more complicated than you think.
Reply Quote
And I'm not talking about the complexity due to duplicate names with guilds or characters.
Reply Quote

The process of merging servers is not something that is easily done just by pushing a button. There's tons of data just for one server. Merging only 2 servers is considered a big process. That would require a good amount of work to transfer all that data to another one.

There's the fact of all those mails that haven't been opened, the server-bound items, the guilds, the bank items, every little things like that, that makes the whole process complex. It's more complicated than you think.

No one is saying it isn't complicated, we're saying that it needs to be done because it is just ridiculous that they have let servers be this dead for this long, almost going on 2 years now. Seriously. It is embarrassing on their part.

Why is it embarassing? Do you think that if it hasn't been done, it's because it's not worth it? You have services to transfer, why not use them? You don't have to pay for ALL your characters.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
...With the quantity of dead servers.

If you deny it, you're like those that were saying Blizz would "never allow PVE to PVP transfers" and all those "will never happen" other stories.

...and the people that say there is only one way to fix a problem would still have humanity living in caves.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
That list is a bit deceptive, in my opinion. It lists my old realm, Sisters of Elune, as medium pop which is frankly laughable. If that's what Blizzard considers "medium" population, I truly feel for those stuck on what Blizzard defines as "low."

I was about to write exactly that. Skywall is listed as Medium, if that what Medium is, what is Low pop? 10 ppl online?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter

Let's say the WoW overall population drops to 5 millions. This would still be a very large amount of players. But with way too many servers.

At the end of the day, it's not a huge issue for me as a casual player, but I understand the frustration of guildies struggling to find enough raiders since our server is slowly becoming a ghost town, similar to a lot of other servers.

Bottom line is, it's bad business because as more people get tired of struggling to field a raiding team, more people will quit the game, like a vicious circle.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
You guys wanna know what could be worse?

[tinfoilhat]

Blizz might announced giant crz of all wow servers. The people who have paid for transfers may feel deceived (as usual). Trolls will rejoice because their target based improved so many folds! Gankers may also rejoice at the number of targets to choose from.
[/tinfoilhat]
Reply Quote
57 Pandaren Monk
06/08/2013 08:50 AMPosted by Dotpanzers

I was about to write exactly that. Skywall is listed as Medium, if that what Medium is, what is Low pop? 10 ppl online?

Sometimes not even that . It's to the point where most of the realm knew horde got Galleon at 4pm Tuesday and Alliance at 4:30 if you didn't go then well... bad news lol.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]