1-button Hunter Pet Special Ability Addon?

100 Tauren Warrior
I wanted to know if there is such an addon that can perform this feat.

I have a macro that depending on the pet used, upon the press of the button, your pet will perform their special attack example:

/cast [pet:spirit beast] spirit mend; [pet:raptor] Tendon Rip..... etc and so on with as many pets as i can.

the problem is, our macros have a character max, so I can't make this for all 40 something families of pets.

I would think that someone out there has thought of this and made an addon for it, but searching on curse, if its out there it has a special name that doesn't have anything to do with Hunter/pet/ability.

Anyone know of an option to what I'm trying to accomplish?
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
This seems simple enough to accomplish. We can have a maximum of 5 active pets, to the macro would never need more than 5 lines. It should be as simple as editing the macro after each call pet spell and parsing what type of pet was summoned.

I don't know of any addons that can do this, but it seems possible.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Warrior
This seems simple enough to accomplish. We can have a maximum of 5 active pets, to the macro would never need more than 5 lines. It should be as simple as editing the macro after each call pet spell and parsing what type of pet was summoned.

I don't know of any addons that can do this, but it seems possible.

Do-able, but normally when you do you set up, you just want to plug and play
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Mage
I'm in the process of writing an AddOn to do this. I'm just finishing off a script to automatically generate the list of each family's special ability.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Mage
Okay, the AddOn is now finished. You can grab it from GitHub:
https://github.com/Choonster/PetSpecialAttackButton

To download it, click the Tags button and then click the zip or tar.gz link under the latest tag. Once you've downloaded it, you can unzip the archive and copy the PetSpecialAttackButton folder into your WoW\Interface\AddOns\ folder.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Warrior
Nice, I'm going to give this a shot and an update
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Warrior
Choonster, I tried the addon and it doesn't seem to be working, I tested it out with a crocolisk.

I took the Ankle Crack ability off of auto cast, was spamming the /click PetSpecialAttackButton and it never activated it and put it on CD, is this something you can still work on and put on Curse?
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Mage
Looks like I'll have to do some testing. In the meantime, could you tell me the output of this command?

/dump PetSpecialAttackButton:GetAttribute("macrotext")
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Mage
Okay, it was a fairly simple fix. I've uploaded the new version to GitHub as well as Curse and WoW Interface (still awaiting approval at the moment).

Once it's been approved, you can grab it from the links below:
http://wow.curseforge.com/addons/pet-special-attack-button/
http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/pet-special-attack-button
http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info22352-PetSpecialAttackButton.html
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior
why not just rewrite the macro without the bracketed sections? The macro will try to cast all the spells, but only the spell that is available will actually be cast.

For example:
/cast spirit mend
/cast Tendon Rip
etc.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Warrior
Looks like I'll have to do some testing. In the meantime, could you tell me the output of this command?

"/use Spirit Beast Blessing\
/use Tear Armor\
/use <ERROR>\
/use Terrify Roar\
"

thats what you get
Reply Quote
why not just rewrite the macro without the bracketed sections? The macro will try to cast all the spells, but only the spell that is available will actually be cast.

For example:
/cast spirit mend
/cast Tendon Rip
etc.

Actually that's what your macro does, the OP's macro checks for pet type and casts the appropriate spell.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Mage
thats what you get

That looks like it's creating the macro as intended. Is it working?

One thing to note is that Water Striders don't have an ability marked as a "Special Ability", so the abilities file lists their ability as "<ERROR>" instead. You can change this to "Still Water" if you want.

I was going to respond earlier, but I ran out of game time and only just bought more. Reading the forums is quite annoying when you can't respond to anything.
Edited by Choonster on 6/9/2013 9:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Warrior
Yes it is working, how do you go about changing it to still Water?

That option would be huge, for example with the Spirit Beast, even though the "Spirit Beast Blessing" is the listed special Ability, the more attractive manual use ability of theirs is "Spirit Mend" (the Heal).
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior

For example:
/cast spirit mend
/cast Tendon Rip
etc.

Actually that's what your macro does, the OP's macro checks for pet type and casts the appropriate spell.

Yes but the result is exactly the same but with less space used.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Mage
I'll add an option to the generate script to use exotic abilities where possible.

In the mean time, you can open the abilities_enUS.lua file in a text editor and look for the pet family you want to change. Each entry is in the form ["Pet Family"] = "Ability Name", make sure you keep the quotation marks and brackets where they are and only change the text inside the quotation marks.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Mage
I've just uploaded 1.02 to Curse and WoW Interface. This version uses exotic abilities instead of special abilities where possible.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Warrior
Tested new version isn't working ATM, using the

command you gave before only returns

""

in the chat box.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]