Healing with no addons or macros seen as bad?

90 Human Priest
All of you need to disable your add ons and get the real gaming experience. If you can get your group through a raid without the use of your precious add ons, then I will tell you you are a good player. Saying someone is bad for not using the add ons is completely retarded in my mind. If anything, you are immeasurably better than anyone who does use add ons. I didn't bother reading through the 5 pages of comments, and I don't think I'll come back and check on this post, but seriously guys. Add ons don't make players better, they just do the work for you. They are like taking a multiple choice test with all the answers already circled and you are just filling in the bubbles on your scantron. It's essentially cheating, and I hate how prevalent it is in the community.

I am going to invoke the underpants rule here. You don't like mods and macros? Fine. Don't use them. I do. Many people do. And I have seen learning to use a raidframe replacement/click on frame to cast type mod improve someone's performance dramatically.
The use of macros and mods is in no way cheating. Blizzard breaks mods that they find to be unfair and the use of mouse over macros is fully supported in game.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
06/15/2013 02:18 AMPosted by Mignonette
I am going to invoke the underpants rule here.

I didn't know what the underpants rule was. These aren't what you meant, but I also found them while searching and was amused:

http://www.underwearrule.org/underwear_en.asp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Underwear_rule
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
While I particularly like the second option by underpants rule I mean just this:
You are the boss of your own britches.
You choose what is good for you and other people may choose for themselves also.
So I try to avoid blanket statements such as:
"Everyone should..."
"You shouldn't..."
"No one should ever..."

And other people's raid frames are their underpants and not mine.
So they can be in charge of what goes on there.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Oh, I know what you meant - that was in the first result. I was just amused by the others.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Today I was in lfd and the shammy healer said he heals without addons or macros and the tank and another dps said that no raid group would want him and that he is just bad.

I chimed in with that on my main disc priest that I do heal without addons and only use one mouse over macro for PW: Shield and I also top my raids healing. (Most of the time in LFR).

He said there's no way and that I am bad. Asked for my main's name and server. Which I gave and after that chat was quiet the rest of the dungeon.

My question is is it common in the community that you are a bad player if you don't use addons or macro's to heal? Healing addons to me just get in my way of what I'm trying to do. Is there anyone else that just uses the game UI to heal successfully?

I use keybinds, default raid frames, and dbm sorta stuff , also fortexorcist for timers, but no, not healbot grid or any of that crap. And the vast majority of anyone that has ever played with me would not complain about my healing. Thats for sure.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
All of you need to disable your add ons and get the real gaming experience. If you can get your group through a raid without the use of your precious add ons, then I will tell you you are a good player. Saying someone is bad for not using the add ons is completely retarded in my mind. If anything, you are immeasurably better than anyone who does use add ons. I didn't bother reading through the 5 pages of comments, and I don't think I'll come back and check on this post, but seriously guys. Add ons don't make players better, they just do the work for you. They are like taking a multiple choice test with all the answers already circled and you are just filling in the bubbles on your scantron. It's essentially cheating, and I hate how prevalent it is in the community.

lol we found someone that doesnt use addons.

dont be so bitter. just try one out.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Healing specific add-ons and macros will undoubtedly improve performance over using the default raid frames and click-targeting to heal. However it is certainly doable without them. However, raiding without DBM and the like is insane.

Why on God's green earth would someone think that raiding without DBM etc. is insane?

Over the years, with patches breaking my addons, I've walked into raids that were current content and tanked just fine without them. The bosses emote all over the place before special attacks and now it's like DBM is in the game. I haven't run DBM for a long time now and not only does it make me more aware of my surroundings it also isn't needed because Blizz built in raid warnings.

The only thing I miss from DBM is some of the timers and that's mostly on my Disc Priest so I can clearly set up SS for bad incoming damage spikes. Other then that I haven't missed it one bit and feel more peaceful without something yelling at me to move.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman

This comment reminds me of a tank I had while leveling this Shammy. He was a Pally and had to have had good Ret gear to even be able to queue for normal Brewery. His tanking gear was awful and mostly blue stuff from Cata.

I politely mentioned to him that there was an adventuring supply vendor where he could get good tanking gear for level 378.

He responded that he'll never cheat and buy gear, he has to work for it.

I about did a *facedesk* with the rest of the group. Working for your gear is all fine and dandy if you aren't putting 4 other people in jeopardy because you can't hold aggro and anything can insta-jib you.

So like that little Pally, this commentator had decided that all addons are bad. And for what it's worth, I have healed and tanked raids sans addon's before due to a patch breaking them. All my healing spells are keybound along with a lot of other things in case I have to do it. And in the end, everything went fine and I didn't have to tell anyone that I wasn't using addons.
Reply Quote
92 Worgen Druid
I raided the entirety of BC without macros or addons. I tried Healbot. Couldn't stand the click casting. In Wrath, I tried a few addons. Couldn't stand most of those either.

Now I'm using clique on Grid for dispels(only thing I use it for) and mouseovers for everything else.

I have a few focus target macros, but other than that, no.
Reply Quote
83 Blood Elf Mage
it depends, a good mixture of both works. some stuff i don't keybind because memorizing where it all is exactly when I need it is really cumbersome and easy to slip up.

Good advice is to slowly keybind things. Don't go all at once, especially on a high level character that you have lots of abilities for. There are times when you will get frustrated, give up and just click your abilities because it will be easier then remembering what keybind was what automatically.

But slowly over time you'll get the hang of it.

I don't keybind buffs or abilities that are longer than a 1.5 min cooldown. I keybind the stuff i use very often. Sometimes common sense is best, on new encounters im a little nervous and it's better for me to just click crap because I forgot the keybind that i used and paying attention to the actual mechanics of the fight is way more important then paying too much attention to how I tried to set up everything perfectly.

I'm sure hardcore raiders and gamers have everything set up narcissisticaly perfect and took time practicing their abilities to the fullest degree. That is fine but 95% of the playerbase doesn't need that dedication they just need to be good enough not to wipe, the game gets hella complicated as you go along, with many different combinations you can use to be successful... usually the correct positioning and knowledge of the fights is way better than what you keybound or not. (which I learned myself trying to get that picture perfect while forgetting the raw mechanics of the fight... it's stupid) It probably helps 5-7% of your game skill. But if the other 95 is crap, the best layout in the world won't play the game for you.
Reply Quote
92 Troll Druid
Why on God's green earth would someone think that raiding without DBM etc. is insane?

It's ridiculous to think of running any serious content from intuition and bravado. I'm sorry, not everything is seen from a boss's castbar.

Healer's aren't always looking at the boss and cool downs need to be precise at times. Not running a boss mod is asinine.Those who argue for such things are mostly LFR heroes, nothing more.

Next we'll have to listen to those who think Vent and Mumble are for the weak minded...
Edited by Trollmendous on 6/18/2013 12:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
06/18/2013 12:29 AMPosted by Trollmendous
not everything is seen from a boss's castbar.

Right. Some are from HP% or energy levels or on strict timers.
Blizzard certainly designs and tunes encounters assuming raiders are using Bossmods, but nothing in normal modes requires it. What bossmods, and addons like Weakauras, do for you as a raider is track and collate information. It makes the encounter easier because you have fewer buffs/debuffs/casts/states to watch and timers to mentally track.

If you have decent/good raid awareness, you'll find most normal mode fights are quite doable without a bossmod.

A good example would be Jin'rokh:
You don't need a bigwigs timer to tell you when the pool is going to drop. It happens at a fixed time, the boss does a big emote for it, and there's a Blizzard encounter warning all before the Thundering Throw. Then the pool forms. Similarly for the storm. There's a big message for it. Very easy.

On the other hand for Heroic you have Ionization, and, say, a hunter trying to pre-deterrence would be very error prone mentally tracking the time from pool forming to Ionization going out.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Warrior
for the record, the default raidframes show you everything, unless you have the option checked to only show dispellable debufs (dont know why anyone would but options are always good i suppose unless they trap bad players)

you can see all the debuffs players get including stacks of it. magic poison ect. all have thier own distinct colors on the borders of the debuff. the raid frames show incoming heals as well as the amount people are shielded for. they also show your hots and what not.

healing addons are a personal choice but by no means a requirement for success.
Reply Quote
92 Worgen Druid
It's ridiculous to think of running any serious content from intuition and bravado. I'm sorry, not everything is seen from a boss's castbar.

Back in my day we didn't have voice chat and we communicated via macros in chat.

And we timed boss abilities with a stopwatch.

Casting CHeal on Tank, next cleric in 3.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
I started using mouse over macros in Cata on my paladin, and converted a lot of them over for my disc priest. If I didn't use mouse over macros, I would definitely use a specialized healing addon for assistance in being more efficient as a healer.

I used to do the click frames/cast heal thing when I first learned to heal dungeons while leveling. It works out just fine for five mans, but in BGs and raids I really really didn't like being that slow. Maybe some people really aren't that slow with a default set up (no addons, no macros, click and cast set up) but I don't really get any personal sense of satisfaction for doing things the hard way.

I like using macros over addons for healing mainly because they aren't as likely to break during new patches, or if the author decides not to keep the addon up, I may have to switch to something else and I don't always have the patience to relearn new addon set ups. I do use DBM, and TellMeWhen (mainly for dps) and I use Raid Frame Indicators to list specific buffs I want to see that I can't get the default raid frames to show me (at least at the beginning of the expansion, they may have fixed those issues since then.

I see that Vudhu tells you who the best person would be cast an AoE heal on to get the max benefit...for that reason alone, I may have to break down and try it. So crappy to try to coat the raid with spirit shell, only to find that it only hit 2 people in a party. Such a waste.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
06/18/2013 12:21 AMPosted by Solidify
it depends, a good mixture of both works. some stuff i don't keybind because memorizing where it all is exactly when I need it is really cumbersome and easy to slip up.

When I first server transferred I jumped immediately into a Heroic ToT starting at Ji-kun. I raid with only one action bar showing and use my Vuhdo only for my Hands.

http://i.imgur.com/vHKZ4WM.jpg

Needless to say, I didn't check my bars before raid (out of sight out of mind) and had to click all my spells from the Spellbook for Ji-kun and ended up LoHings the tank I was supposed to BoP on Heroic Durumu---TWICE! Because Vuhdo reset and muscle memory had taken over. Sometimes keybinding is amazing, sometimes /facedesk. I can never show my face on that server again.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]