Celestial Blessings: Xuen's Challenge (Melee)

100 Undead Rogue
What I've learned so far-
-His attacks do nothing to harm the adds. (Xuen is giving you false hope.)
-There are several glitches (I hope they're glitches) such as the cleave hitting you when you aren't standing in it, immortal bloods stuck at 1hp, and mirror images that linger after the initial 3 spawns (just to ruin your day).
-Evasion, Combat Readiness, Feint (if you've specced Elusiveness), and Smoke Bomb help deter a bit of the damage from the bloods if you want to try and melee them down.
-Buffs carry over, and lock rocks are useful as ever (which to me is very useful).
-As of 8/9/13 the Tears have been nerfed, and are much easier to handle now! (though I didn't notice any other fixes)

Simple kiting- No luck, the buff makes it impossible, they have to be killed at some point because I don't have the armor value to take the beating. (sometimes leather sucks)
Swapping Anticipation for Shuriken Toss- Thought maybe killing from a distance then using the (very small) window of opportunity to get some more hits in on Wrathion. Didn't help much, by the time ST was able to get down the last one the first one was back up (a minute spawn timer after their death), leaving me to start the cycle over.
Blade Flurry/Evasion or Combat Readiness/Killing Spree- Again, this didn't seem to help, my defensive cd's proved to be fairly ineffective (long cd's not helping much) and I couldn't get enough damage out to get the group down before they overwhelmed and destroyed me.

::EDIT:: 8/10/13
I'm still checking this thread whenever I get a chance (there are always a handful of new posts when I check). So, a couple things. First I have to keep removing bits of the original post as I am a forum noob and didn't think to reserve extra spots, and
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/9687729/?utm_content=news-textlink&utm_medium=launcher&utm_source=internal&utm_campaign=wow yesterday's hotfix says they lowered the health/damage of the bloods.(CONFIRMED)

I FINALLY DID IT!!! The small relief given by the nerf helped immensely! Without the Tears eating my face (now it's more like chomping at your thighs..) it was much easier to focus on Wrathion more.

WHAT I DID- COMBAT
Specced into Nightstalker>Combat Readiness>Elusiveness>Shadowstep>Dirty Tricks>Anticipation
Flask/high end food buff/Celestial Coin buff
Deadly/Crippling

I opened with Ambush, and proceeded through my normal rotation, minus SnD (which I didn't use at all). RS, SS (spammed) Eviscerate, with Expose Armor tossed in every little bit, stayed behind him as much as possible. Avoided Arch (ignored the animation, just stayed directly behind him when possible, Shadowstep/Sprint if needed) interrupted the aoe, and danced around the raining fire. First set of adds, I turned on BF and stayed focused on Wrathion until the tears reached us. Kidney Shot Wrath, popped Evasion and KS, tears down i went back to regular rotation, Blinded him for the first round of doubles, as the tears spawned right about then. Let them come to me, BF, CR, AR/SB (bless that damn macro), downed the second round of tears, bandage. Jump right back in, opened with RS, and EA back to the normal rotation. By now my first round of abilities were off cd, and I repeated the process, a few recoup's thrown in when I was low, Feint when I needed the extra protection, and the second round of mirrors I KS, Vanish CS, then took out the last round with FoK/Sprint.

I know it sounds confusing, and at the time it felt a bit confusing, but my guildmates cheered me on as I screamed into my mic, "I FINALLY KILLED THAT LITTLE *very foul names here*!!!". So, I finally got my cloak, and I'll keep looking here and cheering you all on too, GOOD LUCK (and may the nerf give you the edge you needed as it did for me)!!

And thank you, to all the folks who have posted their tips/tricks/suggestions/strategies/requested a sticky for beating this thing, because it's not just the rogues suffering, it's all the melee.
Edited by Eostre on 8/11/2013 10:17 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Did you ever get this guy down? This encounter is far past annoying. I've repeatedly got him to around 15% & the 2nd round of mirror images but then the 2nd ooze spawn with their speed buff are all over me while I go for the images before they explode.

I tried several methods with the ooze adds but so far this has worked best for me on the 1st bunch.
I open with a garrote or cheap shot--get a 2-3 point S&d & recuperate up. By this point the 1st ooze bunch should drop. Keep a full point finish saved up so you can drop a kidney shot. Get their attention with a quick fan of knives to gather them. The oozes are physical damage so pop evasion, adrenaline rush ,shadow blades & blade flurry & nuke the boss & them hard.
The 1st thing wrathion likes to do when stun wears off is drop a fire puddle on you, so blind him,dash out & finish the last couple oozes. He should be below 50% now. Keep dancing with him to stay behind ,interrupting blood of deathborn when possible & I get him to 10-15%. At this point I run into trouble because he drops a 2nd ooze bunch whether I'm interrupting or not about the same time the mirror images come up. I can dash in with sprint & fan of knives the 1st bunch---fok the 2nd bunch--but by this time the incredibly fast oozes are all over me----any help would be appreciated.

btw combat readiness & leeching poison seem to help here.
Edited by Steelones on 6/10/2013 9:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Undead Rogue
I managed to get him to about 10% yesterday, but I then ran into the same problem, the second wave of bloods and the split. I had the same problem got the first two waves down, then the bloods caught up to me and finished me off before I could even think about taking down the third set, I haven't been able to get him that far since, but I did note that Cloak of Shadows (now with it's again wonderfully short cd) will negate the attack of his split explosions, but only for one wave, since the effect is still only 6 seconds.

I hope that little bit helped, I'll post here if I manage to beat him, along with whatever I did that worked, hope you'll do the same, and good luck! (this fight's a serious pita)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
I am iLevel 530 and this fight is punishing. It is orders of magnitude harder than any heroic content I have done in ToT so far (only 5 fights). The main problem is the adds. They have 400k hp each, are not kiteable due to a stacking speed buff, and do a decent amount of damage. Even with feint (elusiveness spec), evasion, and combat readiness these adds do significant damage if you are unable to burst them down in the first few seconds. After about 12 attempts I gave up for now. Maybe I will come back to it tomorrow.

Also, his AoE cleave has a wider area than is pictured, you can be standing behind him or off to the side of his back and still be hit, best to just try and interrupt it
Edited by Soldist on 6/11/2013 3:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
I am able to kite them around easy enough and whittle them down with FoK. It is when they re-spawn during his split/AOE phase that I get ganked. I'm trying to get them down 1 at a time so they do not re-spawn all at once still a tall order.

Seeing as I can consistently get him down to 30% I want to try the brawlers guild trick where you form a raid to get buffs.

Sadly I can see this being a ton easier for other classes like the lock video with him just running in circles AOEing everything down :p
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
Kite kite kite lock him up on the clone part. I was able to get the tears down apart enough where I would single the down fast as they re spawned.
Edited by Diamondx on 6/11/2013 9:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
After a few more attempts I noticed that the adds are inconsistent as well. Sometimes they get stuck at 1 hp and cannot be killed, other times they can be killed. Also I am unable to target wrathion himself with killing spree, when the ability is available I get the error message "That ability is not available" when I try to use it on wrathion.

Lots of bugs on this encounter

Here is a screenshot of the 1HP adds taking a maximum of 1 HP over and over (while taking all the extra damage as overkill) yet they just keep coming >.<

http://i.imgur.com/bhydOCs.jpg?1
Edited by Soldist on 6/11/2013 10:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Undead Rogue
Kite the adds into the circle aoe Blood of the Deathborn he casts (which is interruptable, don't interrupt it though). It deals 50k damage a second to the adds. They stayed "dead" long enough for me to defeat Wrathion just after they came back.

Edit: Fight lasted 88 seconds for me, while discovering the mechanics mid fight.
Edited by Nallina on 6/11/2013 10:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Undead Rogue
After a few more attempts I noticed that the adds are inconsistent as well. Sometimes they get stuck at 1 hp and cannot be killed, other times they can be killed. Also I am unable to target wrathion himself with killing spree, when the ability is available I get the error message "That ability is not available" when I try to use it on wrathion.

Lots of bugs on this encounter

Here is a screenshot of the 1HP adds taking a maximum of 1 HP over and over (while taking all the extra damage as overkill) yet they just keep coming >.<

http://i.imgur.com/bhydOCs.jpg?1

I'm having the same problem with KS and the adds a couple times have bugged out as well. I really hope they fix it soon.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Rogue
Kite the adds into the circle aoe Blood of the Deathborn he casts (which is interruptable, don't interrupt it though). It deals 50k damage a second to the adds. They stayed "dead" long enough for me to defeat Wrathion just after they came back.

Edit: Fight lasted 88 seconds for me, while discovering the mechanics mid fight.

The pool hurts the adds? I didn't notice that! I'm going to have to give it a shot, thank you!

::EDIT:: Yeah i tried that, no such luck, the pools/cleave do nothing to hurt or slow them down, such a shame, and how misleading of Xuen to give us such ideas!
Edited by Eostre on 6/12/2013 4:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
I tried kiting the adds through Wrathion's pools and frontal cones as well based on the emotes from Xuen "use his power against him". I never saw damage taken from the pools nor his frontal cone. I am going to have to go with Soldist's notion that the adds in the encounter are bugged to some degree.

Nallina, you are also majority Heroic Thrunderforged. That will be a big push in dps over the majority of the posters. They will now blow him up like the !@#$% he is near as fast (Primordious needs to give you his damn trinket)

On a side note, make sure ya have a good friendly lock close by to grab cookies from. It may be the difference between a kill or a wipe. There were a couple times were I was soooo close but didn't quite make it and a lock cookie would have done the trick.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Rogue
the pool does not hurt them, tried it, idk what Nallina is talking about this thing is hard =/
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
Maybe it was capacitance from the Meta gem or vodoo gnomes hitting them.

I would think with her gear she would be getting stacks at an insane rate.

I know Mine did a lot of the tear damage along with gnomes.

Capacitive Primal Diamond – 21.00 base RealPPM on landing melee/ranged abilities and swings. No ICD.
- At 5 stacks, fires a Lightning Strike, which deals [280 + 75% AP] Nature damage. This is considered a ranged attack for Hunters, and a melee attack for everyone else.
- Base proc rate is multiplied by an additional coefficient:
1.136 Combat
1.789 Assassination
1.114 Subtlety
1.339 Arms
1.152 Fury SMF
1.257 Fury TG
1.721 Feral Cat
1.532 Frost DK 2H
1.134 Frost DK DW
0.838 Unholy
1.295 Retribution
0.809 Enhancement
1.087 Monkbot
0.950 Beast Mastery
1.107 Marksmanship
0.950 Survival
1.000 Anyone Else
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
Has anyone tried teaming up with someone on the same part of the quest? I know we could do it on our rogue quest in the past and maybe that's the simple solution for the masses.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Rogue
I will be home in a few hours if anyone wants to team up and try to beat it, I'll come back to this forum when I get home and see. Lets hope that works
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior
Any tips you can give to a fury war doing this?

I have tried over 30+ times and the best i could manage was him down to 30% before the oozes spawned at the same time as the images.

I am using flasks, pots, the celestial token, and food buffs.

Is it just a matter of me having a low ilvl? was this intended to be completed with patch 5.4 ilvl garrosh gear? warriors are not that great at self healing as other classes.

Also I was not able to find any video regarding the melee challenge, any assistance would be appreciated.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Rogue
Bro we just as stuck as you ae, I havnt found any videos either like I said I should be home in about 2 hours if anyone wants to group up n see if we can do it together.
I've potted flask buffed eat, and still can't get him down, the best I did was used crippling poision slowed the adds fok them down ASAP and kept that ging but I n the end it failed
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Rogue
im home if anyone wants to try this together #rindail1366
has anyone beat it yet?
Reply Quote
100 Undead Rogue
I've been trying the last half hour still with no luck.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Rogue
I just killed him with shammy and druid buffs I had cookies but I didn't use them, EARTH SHIELD is the savior on that, just run around uysse burst of speed stay away from adds use shuriken toss to kill them, when u get 2 adds left evasion just burn them, burn the boss keep doing it
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]