Flex Raiding; What's the point?

(Locked)

85 Undead Mage
So, I'm a little lost on the purpose of of this new "raiding" system.

So you have community A, the people that, for sake of simplicity, don't really want to have to try and/or don't have the time to raid. Thus, LFR.

Then you have community B, the raiders. These folks deal with Normal, but more often than not Heroic is the goal.

Normal difficulty appears to be the middle ground already. So why was this simply not added to Normal difficulty to allow less serious guilds the flexibility to do this content? Maybe even have it pugable in a casual setting? There basically seems to be no purpose to add another tier of raiding.

Additionally, this new "feature" is going to further hurt the already dwindling raid community. There is no doubt in my mind that Blizzard is looking to gradually phase traditional raiding out of the game, or at the very least make it a side note at best.

The apparent direction that this new "feature" is taking World of Warcraft is disturbing and disheartening. This will do nothing to contribute to the reestablishment of server communities, it will not generate new and exciting experiences, and it will only push players further away from "real" raiding.

So again, what exactly is the point of this besides trivializing what is already in the game?
Honestly, I'm putting on my tinfoil hat and expecting for normal modes to be removed next expansion and replaced with flexiraids, with it being introduced in the next patch, as LFR was introduced during DS. I don't see having 4 different raid difficulties flying well with the playerbase when it's released, even if they don't experience all four.
MVP
90 Night Elf Priest
Transitioning from random queue raiding to more organized raiding.
90 Goblin Rogue
This will do nothing to contribute to the reestablishment of server communities

I disagree, Heroic Scenarios are already forcing me to make new friends on my server because they require premades.

This will only increase inter-server mingling as it sounds pug friendly.
90 Blood Elf Warlock

Less people are raiding and that's a fact.
You see people going from LFR to Normal raiding but what about normal mode raiders
Transitioning from more organized raiding to LESS organized raiding. Thus phasing out normal mode raiding.
90 Tauren Warrior
Then you have Community C- the "friends and family" groups

Many will work full time or have children or be purely social gamers that want to play with slightly more hardcore friends or partners.

Age ranges between teens to 60s (aka age is arbitrary, look at your own guild and see if it's all teens/early 20s)

You don't see them much in trade chat because their gates aren't really open to strangers.
You don't read them kicking up issues about hardcore vs casual because they're both and in-between at the same time.
More important concerns tend to be their children or their mortgage or health issues...

But they want to play the game & they want to play together.

Some of them are at skill levels where heroic raiding is a possibility but they don't have the time commitment to raid more than once a week.
Others are informed only when their friend or partners informs them and follow the advice and rotation explained to them as "their" rotation. Nowhere near dead weight though you may call them that- they just need someone else to help them understand.

Now for those unaware current Normal mode 10 man raiding does not allow a lot of slack for these people. If someone dies early then it's a wipe and while the better players do enough dps to make up for the below average players so the raid can beat enrages- they can't make up for someone doing zero.

And unlike pure gamer guilds out there, you can't dump these people and recruit new raiders because they are your friends, your partners or your family.

Oh and don't say LFR is the appropriate niche- bring in 10 friends and mingle with 5-15 asshats in a completely challenge free and toxic environment? No. Not fun.
(LFR does have nice & normal people too but inevitably some are asshats)

Flexraid may end up being perfect for these groups. Here's hoping!
85 Undead Mage
06/06/2013 09:07 PMPosted by Kips
This will do nothing to contribute to the reestablishment of server communities

I disagree, Heroic Scenarios are already forcing me to make new friends on my server because they require premades.

People run pugs for normal raids all the time. Why don't you go to those? How is this flex raiding any different other than more "derp" friendly like LFR? Its either going to result in "faceroll = loot" content, or rage quits because the majority of the people doing this level of content aren't raiders. They don't want to "waste their time" or "min/max" or whatever other pro LFR arguments you can think of that draw them to it in the first place.

Everyone else raids normally.

Then you have Community C- the "friends and family" groups

Many will work full time or have children or be purely social gamers that want to play with slightly more hardcore friends or partners.

Age ranges between teens to 60s (aka age is arbitrary, look at your own guild and see if it's all teens/early 20s)

You don't see them much in trade chat because their gates aren't really open to strangers.
You don't read them kicking up issues about hardcore vs casual because they're both and in-between at the same time.
More important concerns tend to be their children or their mortgage or health issues...

But they want to play the game & they want to play together.

Some of them are at skill levels where heroic raiding is a possibility but they don't have the time commitment to raid more than once a week.
Others are informed only when their friend or partners informs them and follow the advice and rotation explained to them as "their" rotation. Nowhere near dead weight though you may call them that- they just need someone else to help them understand.

Now for those unaware current Normal mode 10 man raiding does not allow a lot of slack for these people. If someone dies early then it's a wipe and while the better players do enough dps to make up for the below average players so the raid can beat enrages- they can't make up for someone doing zero.

And unlike pure gamer guilds out there, you can't dump these people and recruit new raiders because they are your friends, your partners or your family.

Oh and don't say LFR is the appropriate niche- bring in 10 friends and mingle with 5-15 asshats in a completely challenge free and toxic environment? No. Not fun.
(LFR does have nice & normal people too but inevitably some are asshats)

Flexraid may end up being perfect for these groups. Here's hoping!

Pretty sure this still falls into group A. And if you can't get 10 people together to do current 10 mans, what makes you think you can get more than 10? There is no 5-10 option. It's 10-25, and that's it. And if you make a 5-10 solution, then it isn't a raid. Its a glorified 5 man.

So again, what's the point?
Edited by Niraya on 6/6/2013 9:39 PM PDT
90 Human Paladin
I know my guild will welcome flex raiding.

We often have nights where we don't have enough ranged online or our geared up healers. Instead of calling the raid for the night we can grab everyone online and run a flex raid.

We can have people invite their battletag friends. We can see if another guild wants to join us that doesn't have enough for a 10 man. We can grab some PUGs and bring them in knowing its not going to be as hard as normal modes.

All in all I think its a great addition.
90 Draenei Death Knight
Rewind back to ToC and ICC. You had 3 different raid difficulties:

10m normal
10m heroic/25m normal
and 25m heroic.

10 and 25 were not balanced as they are today, and were two very different difficulties, intentionally.

Then cata came along, and reduced that down to two difficulties:
normal
heroic
The groups who used to enjoy 10m raiding in Wrath, either have to settle for 5-man heroics (which were pretty fun and challenging at the beginning of cata), or they have to step up and improve their game a bit to do normal mode cata raiding. Many such guilds were devastated at this point, because these raids were on par with 25m wotlk difficulty, not 10.

Late in cata, we're introduced with LFR. The term "difficulty" doesn't apply to LFR however. It's more like waiting in line for a roller coaster, without the roller coaster. LFR was introduced to appease the players who probably never enjoyed raiding beyond Naxxramas 10.

So now in late cata, you have these three different categories of raids:
LFR - super, ridiculously easy, anyone can do it.
Normal Difficulty - dedicated raiders only
Heroic Difficulty - only for the most skilled raiders.

This still leaves a pretty sizeable gap for those players who know how to play the game, want a decent challenge to overcome in raiding, but find normal mode difficulty still a bit too challenging.

Flex mode is through and through aimed at the casual player. As opposed to LFR, which is aimed at the bad player who doesn't know what he or she is doing. There IS a difference. As a casual player, you may enjoy raiding with your friends at a relaxed pace without the pressure of forming a perfect raid group, and the fights don't have to be so boring that you can sleep through them.

Now my opinion on the feature... I think it's a wonderful thing to have, but I worry that it will mean smaller raids and longer times between patches, just as LFR was used to justify the lack of encounters in dragon soul.
90 Worgen Warlock

It's also for groups of friends who aren't terribly organized but still want to play together.

The players in my horde guild mostly PvP, but we raided in Wrath and Cata (to a lesser extent). The Pandaria raids are more difficult and require more organization. My horde guild hasn't done any raiding as a group just LFR in small bands.

This flex raid could revive the casual raiding in my PvP horde guild. I'm looking forward to seeing how it pans out.
90 Human Warlock
Honestly I wish this feature was for normal raids. I sucks when you have a 10 man but there are 13 good people you want to bring along but you cannot. Maybe they will add this to normal in the xpac, we can only hope...
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]