5.4 mage set bonus

90 Human Mage
watcha think of the 2 set/4 set for mages?
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Arcane is lackluster, fire seems a bit over powered, and I am very intrigued to see what exactly an Icy Boulder does for you.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Arcane's the best out of all them. Frost is pretty bad since we end up wasting procs anyway. Fire's not much better. Hopefully they'll tweak invocation because I'd hate to play RoP again.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Crazy! I wonder what the whole ice boulder thing from the 4 set is going to be. I really can't wait to see the animation.

Also, that 2 piece is good enough to where it might be bis for PvP. So that's a bad thing. But thats a big might.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
yea I wanna know about icy boulder does
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
Fire's 4P is terrible. Inferno Blast is only used for 2 things - Getting that first Hot Streak, and spreading DoTs. It doesn't hit hard enough to warrant spamming it and firing off Pyroblasts, and if it was, it'd be such a minimal increase.

This might change, depending on how badly they nerf crit for fire....which is just about inevitable, which might make the problem moot anyways.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
Fireball and Pyroblast have a 10% chance to cause Inferno Blast to have no cooldown for 6 sec.

Ok, so Fireball crits, your casting your next fireball, you IB at the end of the cast to proc Pyroblast! and two things happen - you get a garunteed Pyro, and you get a chance at a further Heating Up proc from the FB.

If you use Pyro right away, then start casting FB, and if you were lucky that Pyro crits, you have just procced another Pyro. Regardless of whether that crits or not, you will next be casting another fireball. If The pyro crits, and you proc heating up then at the end of the next FB cast, you are then in a situation where you want to use IB but it may still be on CD.

If you use the method of not immediately using Pyro proc but rather fish for another heating up proc to give you a double chance at proccing Pyroblast!, then you have, at minimum, one more FB, if it crits you have both buffs, 1 more FB + the Pyroblast! proc and whichever way it works another fireball and by this time your IB is off CD.

At the end of the day, you have a bunch of if statements that if you get thif followed by if you get that then provided you were lucky enough that your Pyroblast or FB actually procced this bonus (it is only 10% afterall), then you have a situation where I could probably count on one hand the number of times this would be useful in an entire night of raiding. And even then, I am not even sure if the dps increase is actually measurable.

I am hoping as this is PTR that this set bonus for Fire is simply a placeholder while they work out what to put there, because as it stands, you would be significantly better off ignoring the 4 et bonus as fire and organising your gear around the best pieces instead. At least then you would actually get an increase to your damage...

Now this is from a PvE point of view, I have no clue how useful this will be for PvP, but then as far as I am aware this is the PvE tier bonuses.

EDIT: Oh and just because when I read this the very first thing that came to mind was this meme:

https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/2727748211/c3d0981ae770f926eedf4eda7505b006.jpeg
Edited by Virtutis on 6/11/2013 11:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
now I wonder if the 2 set removes the frostfirebolt chance to proc FOF like it does now or will it give 2 fof charges at once?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
now I wonder if the 2 set removes the frostfirebolt chance to proc FOF like it does now or will it give 2 fof charges at once?

That's a great question. Would hate to waste anymore procs than I already do.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
watcha think of the 2 set/4 set for mages?

where is this? O.o sorry i just saw this thread and a couple others about the new sets and cant find it anywhere! can link? thanks! :D
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
mmo champ has the info
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
06/11/2013 11:00 PMPosted by Virtutis
Fireball and Pyroblast have a 10% chance to cause Inferno Blast to have no cooldown for 6 sec.

Ok, so Fireball crits, your casting your next fireball, you IB at the end of the cast to proc Pyroblast! and two things happen - you get a garunteed Pyro, and you get a chance at a further Heating Up proc from the FB.

If you use Pyro right away, then start casting FB, and if you were lucky that Pyro crits, you have just procced another Pyro. Regardless of whether that crits or not, you will next be casting another fireball. If The pyro crits, and you proc heating up then at the end of the next FB cast, you are then in a situation where you want to use IB but it may still be on CD.

If you use the method of not immediately using Pyro proc but rather fish for another heating up proc to give you a double chance at proccing Pyroblast!, then you have, at minimum, one more FB, if it crits you have both buffs, 1 more FB + the Pyroblast! proc and whichever way it works another fireball and by this time your IB is off CD.

At the end of the day, you have a bunch of if statements that if you get thif followed by if you get that then provided you were lucky enough that your Pyroblast or FB actually procced this bonus (it is only 10% afterall), then you have a situation where I could probably count on one hand the number of times this would be useful in an entire night of raiding. And even then, I am not even sure if the dps increase is actually measurable.

I am hoping as this is PTR that this set bonus for Fire is simply a placeholder while they work out what to put there, because as it stands, you would be significantly better off ignoring the 4 et bonus as fire and organising your gear around the best pieces instead. At least then you would actually get an increase to your damage...

Now this is from a PvE point of view, I have no clue how useful this will be for PvP, but then as far as I am aware this is the PvE tier bonuses.

EDIT: Oh and just because when I read this the very first thing that came to mind was this meme:

https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/2727748211/c3d0981ae770f926eedf4eda7505b006.jpeg

if you cant see its potential then just go back to frost.

glyphed inferno blast spreads pyro dot ignite and combustion to up too 4 targets, thats not a target cap of 4 for those dots but a spreading limit per inferno cast, so being able to spam it means we can get our pyro dots and ignites and combustions on many many targets again, aswell as having it save bad rng strings, think of it like this, you go 5 fireballs but no crit but oh wait 4pc procced so you can just inferno blast 3 times and have full procs ready to go.

but i still say they need to tweak it a bit to allow you to use it when you need it instead of another rng factor to gray our hair.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
cant say about frost till we see what kind of damage the 4p is although ive been pretty satasfied with frost so far
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage

if you cant see its potential then just go back to frost.

glyphed inferno blast spreads pyro dot ignite and combustion to up too 4 targets, thats not a target cap of 4 for those dots but a spreading limit per inferno cast, so being able to spam it means we can get our pyro dots and ignites and combustions on many many targets again, aswell as having it save bad rng strings, think of it like this, you go 5 fireballs but no crit but oh wait 4pc procced so you can just inferno blast 3 times and have full procs ready to go.

but i still say they need to tweak it a bit to allow you to use it when you need it instead of another rng factor to gray our hair.

This...is intriguing...but probably would only be useful in a very few select fights. Not claiming that I know what next tier will entail in the way of encounters, but if its anything like ToT then we can probably expect a few multi add fights (Tortos, Horridon, etc.) where spreading combust indefinitely would be useful.

I guess I'm looking for a four piece bonus, especially in the last tier of an xpac, that will have more practical usefulness on 100% of the encounters, and not just to cheese some massive dps on a couple gimmick fights.
Edited by Grimsheeper on 6/13/2013 6:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
This...is intriguing...but probably would only be useful in a very few select fights. Not claiming that I know what next tier will entail in the way of encounters, but if its anything like ToT then we can probably expect a few multi add fights (Tortos, Horridon, etc.) where spreading combust indefinitely would be useful.

I guess I'm looking for a four piece bonus, especially in the last tier of an xpac, that will have more practical usefulness on 100% of the encounters, and not just to cheese some massive dps on a couple gimmick fights.

This exactly. I highly doubt the amount of AoE fights in the next tier will warrant a 4 pc build for solely AoE. Just seems very unlikely.
Edited by Jarvins on 6/13/2013 6:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Arcane is lackluster, fire seems a bit over powered, and I am very intrigued to see what exactly an Icy Boulder does for you.

It is the other way around.

Fire's 2 and 4 pc set bonus seem iffy. how many "Pyroblasts" can you get off in a 4 second period to stack up to 3750 Haste for 4 seconds, and even then, what do you do with 4 seconds of 3750 haste? Reapply your mage bomb and hardcast pyroblast?

The only time I've ever gotten enough Pyroblasts in a row like that is mostly through Alter Time Pom Combustion Combo's, and even then, you ahve to imagine that when you revert back time, you will lose the 2 or 3 stacks you recieved.

The 4pc on the other hand, I've not formed an opinion.

I'm pretty neutral at this point, but I'll be looking at it.
Edited by Seebach on 6/13/2013 7:08 AM PDT
Reply Quote
06/13/2013 12:42 AMPosted by Thursdays
glyphed inferno blast spreads pyro dot ignite and combustion to up too 4 targets, thats not a target cap of 4 for those dots but a spreading limit per inferno cast,

Would love to see any sort of evidence supporting this.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
06/13/2013 07:06 AMPosted by Seebach

It is the other way around.

Fire's 2 and 4 pc set bonus seem iffy. how many "Pyroblasts" can you get off in a 4 second period to stack up to 3750 Haste for 4 seconds, and even then, what do you do with 4 seconds of 3750 haste? Reapply your mage bomb and hardcast pyroblast?

The only time I've ever gotten enough Pyroblasts in a row like that is mostly through Alter Time Pom Combustion Combo's, and even then, you ahve to imagine that when you revert back time, you will lose the 2 or 3 stacks you recieved.

The 4pc on the other hand, I've not formed an opinion.

I'm pretty neutral at this point, but I'll be looking at it.

since it is a stacking effect, im sure the duration resets. but id think 6-10 seconds would be better than 4.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
I'm a fan.

Frost 2/4 look really nice. It almost seems like a way to prevent multi-dotting as frost as well, since the extra BF->FoF procs would mean that those getting large chains of BF would suffer. This sounds fantastic to me. It'll be interesting to see what sort of damage the icy boulder does, but hopefully it is a percentage of the FFB damage.

Fire looks like it could be fun. The stacking haste from Pyro, while short-lived, seems nice. Imagine getting your PoM/AT chain of 8 pyros and having an extra 3750 haste for combustion. Seems to me like that could combine into a decent amount of damage. The 4 set sounds interesting. I haven't played fire recently enough to know what it would change, but to me it sounds like this - Get proc > HU > IB > Pyro/IB combo spam to give you 6 seconds of machine-gunning.

Arcane looks like it could be a little overpowered, but again, haven't touched it since Cata (and have no desire to).
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
you realize that only the most recent NT applied can give BF procs right?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]