Hope Coming in 5.4

100 Human Warrior
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/10158897/54_PTR_Coming_Soon-6_11_2013

New Feature: Virtual Realms

• Virtual Realms are sets of realms that are fused together, and will behave exactly as if they were one cohesive realm. Players on the same Virtual Realm will be able to join guilds, access a single Auction House, join arena teams and raids, as well run dungeons or group up to complete quests.
  • Players belonging to the same Virtual Realm will have a (#) symbol next to their name.

• Hang on fellow Nerubians, we're nearly there!
    Edited by Hengrad on 6/12/2013 2:47 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    90 Dwarf Warrior
    But the thing is, Azjol is ahead of the bell curve in population. The problem lies on horde side. It's completely dead, but alliance is just fine. It's just not as populated as a high pop realm.

http://wow.realmpop.com/us.html

This is updated every 10-12 days.

Azjol has a 72k population, around the 60%-65%.

Edit: I absolutely want this to happen for Azjol Horde. But I don't see it happening as Alliance is just fine.
    Edited by Entropius on 6/11/2013 11:49 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    92 Pandaren Shaman
    I wish to see this aswell, if progression is taken into account with the fuse, we'll be eligible ;D
    Reply Quote
    100 Undead Priest
    I look forward to the day applicants decide to go elsewhere because we're bad rather than because we're on Azjol-Nerub Horde side.

Seriously though... I hope they do this right. Between Virtual Realms and Flexible raids, 5.4 will be the patch that fixed everything Blizzard broke. Yay for the Titan team coming back to save WoW :D
    Reply Quote
    90 Blood Elf Priest
    Definitely looking forward to this. Not only does Horde definitely need a boost in raiders, our economy could use a bigger pool as well.
    Reply Quote
    92 Pandaren Shaman
    I look forward to the day applicants decide to go elsewhere because we're bad rather than because we're on Azjol-Nerub Horde.

Not to troll here but..
    Edited by Kipsofthemud on 6/12/2013 11:51 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    100 Human Warrior
    They will likely bundle realms based on their total populations. Some realms like Mal'Ganis or Illidan would be exempt due to their high-pop tally of 200k+ characters. Azjol-Nerub has around 72k, while the least active realms have 17k. It depends on what number they will set as the standard population and the limit--if any--to how many realms they would group together. If they aim for 150k, we could see a virtual realm composed of anywhere between two and ten individual realms. The beauty of virtual realms compared to a simple merge is they could move or switch specific realms to other VR groups in case of drastic fluctuations in realm activity.

The only issues I can see players having are: 1) identical guild names in the same VR, 2) raid progression being ranked by VR rather than specific realms, 3) cross-realm guilds affected by VR group changes, and/or 4) simple realm pride. But overall I think the prospect of having a larger player base to interact with overpowers those potential problems.
    Edited by Hengrad on 6/12/2013 3:27 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    90 Dwarf Warrior
    Except all of you are getting your hopes up over nothing unless you're saying you expect blizzard to only want 30-50 realms at 150k (Which is on the border of having queues I.E Locked realms). Some people enjoy the VERY low pop realms, some people enjoy the quietness etc etc. They understand that.

There are hundreds of realms worse than ours. I doubt Azjol will get hit with this.
    Reply Quote
    100 Undead Priest
    Except all of you are getting your hopes up over nothing unless you're saying you expect blizzard to only want 30-50 realms at 150k (Which is on the border of having queues I.E Locked realms). Some people enjoy the VERY low pop realms, some people enjoy the quietness etc etc. They understand that.

There are hundreds of realms worse than ours. I doubt Azjol will get hit with this.

You shut your vile mouth.
    LET US HOPE!
    Reply Quote
    100 Troll Hunter
    I've prepared my managers chair and long fluffy white cat for when Azjol gets tied to Zul'jin. Hope Breaker.
    Reply Quote
    100 Undead Priest
    Hope Breaker.

raid boss in 5.5?
    Reply Quote
    100 Human Warrior
    Don't forget your Shan-Dun, Breaker of Hope!
    Reply Quote
    90 Pandaren Warrior
    Azjol would get tied to zuljin?!

So we almost transferred off realm a few months ago, considering if this actually happens omg, we saved thousands of dollars guild wide.
    Reply Quote
    90 Pandaren Warrior
    Hope Breaker Decix
    Reply Quote
    90 Draenei Shaman
    Keep your hopes up! They probably will use the same type of thing they do with crz with a few twists. In which case queue times would not be affected. Allowing them to fuse a horde favored population realm with Azjol.
    Reply Quote
    100 Human Warrior
    http://wow.joystiq.com/2013/06/24/officers-quarters-one-realms-solution-to-low-population/

Definitely worth reading the whole thing for insight on how to maintain a realm.

The concept of virtual realms is appealing, however I think it is a step away from community. Back in vanilla, BC, and Wrath, there was a huge sense of community within guilds and realms. People had something they could be proud of and they were willing to work together to accomplish a common goal. I do think virtual reams will help smaller population servers by having easier access to raiding consistently, but I do not think it will bring back that sense of community.

So while virtual realms will provide a larger pool of players, it won't revive the community spirit on its own--that's our responsibility. Put old quarrels aside, acknowledge that it's everyone's problem, communicate.
    Reply Quote
    100 Undead Priest
    So while virtual realms will provide a larger pool of players, it won't revive the community spirit on its own--that's our responsibility. Put old quarrels aside, acknowledge that it's everyone's problem, communicate.

Agreed.... unless the servers we are merged with are static (rather than using CRZ style randomness, it's a permanent merge).
    But ya, we can't even do community events like Dragon Souls battle royal in the arena because we don't have a static community any more (as CRZ allows really anyone with an invite to participate).

That being said, I think our tiny little community is doing better in terms of interaction (at least it feels that way). And we're also doing better in terms of progression as we're currently at 96th up from 114th (t14) and 146 (t13).
    Edited by Poena on 6/24/2013 2:10 PM PDT
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]