How good is arcane?

I've recently picked back up on this character after a long break from mages and was wondering how Arcane is holding up in comparison to the other two. for the life of me, I cannot play fire or frost worth a damn and frankly don't want to, they're probably the most boring specs of any class out there for me.
Reply Quote
1 Human Mage
Arcane 'works' for LFRs and even some normal raids, though to put that statement in context, not selecting a spec and spamming FFBs all night long also "works" in those domains.

Arcane does not work in PvP.
Reply Quote
Arcane 'works' for LFRs and even some normal raids, though to put that statement in context, not selecting a spec and spamming FFBs all night long also "works" in those domains.

Arcane does not work in PvP.

So arcane is in a pretty bad spot? I knew Arcane was bad at PvP, I don't think any spec of any class has it as bad as Arcane in that regard. But PvE too? thats surprising.
Reply Quote
1 Human Mage

So arcane is in a pretty bad spot? I knew Arcane was bad at PvP, I don't think any spec of any class has it as bad as Arcane in that regard. But PvE too? thats surprising.

Again, as eluded to in my previous post. It depends on what you mean by "bad spot".

I would say the entire state of the mage class is in a 'bad spot', but not because I can't do dailies with my chosen spec.

IN fact, I can. Heck, I can even do dailies on my holydin.

But if you are looking at what is optimal in the challenging portions of the game, then yes, absolutely, Arcane is in a 'bad spot'.

But if all you care about is LFRs and 5 mans and dailies and playing with yourself, then sure.. go ahead and do what you want, you shouldn't really care (and no one will really care either).
But that is a by product of a more larger scale failure of design.
Edited by Zomgdps on 6/12/2013 9:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Arcane in PvP is doable, but incredibly difficult. Frost is more viable in PvP, though in PvE it does less damage than Arcane in the long run, but I see a lot of people just keep their frost spec until the purples start flowing in, then dual-spec Fire/Frost.

I prefer Arcane due to its simplicity in PvE.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Arcane is so good, that I can wait to get a 3rd talent tree so that I can spec Arcane into all 3 of them!
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Mage
Arcane in PvP is doable, but incredibly difficult. Frost is more viable in PvP, though in PvE it does less damage than Arcane in the long run, but I see a lot of people just keep their frost spec until the purples start flowing in, then dual-spec Fire/Frost.

I prefer Arcane due to its simplicity in PvE.

For PVE raiding, arcane isn't top till extreme endgame gear with lots of heroic pieces and heroic 4T15. Wtihout that kind of gear fire and frost are well ahead of arcane.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
Arcane is fine in BGs and large scale World PvP. Too many bads know stuff all about the mechanics of it, including positioning and how to even gem/forge the class, and then write it off as 'unviable'.

That said, it's not a dueling spec, so they're not good in Arenas.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
Arcane gets the job done. It’s no longer stellar but I still enjoy it.

One point that I don’t like about Arcane is its ability to pull agro. Arcane doesn’t have a steady base damage rate. Instead in creates what could only be described as a sign wave as you build up stacks and release. It’s at the peak of these waves (4 stacks) that you can find yourself right under the tank on the ago charts.

You’re generally in no danger of pulling off the tank but, if the tank were to expire, just know that you may be next if you are at the peak of your stacks. It’s a pity that you can pull that much agro but not top the charts in DPS.
Reply Quote
1 Human Mage
Arcane is fine in BGs and large scale World PvP. Too many bads know stuff all about the mechanics of it, including positioning and how to even gem/forge the class, and then write it off as 'unviable'.

Yea.. thats it, you've hit the nail on the head.
The issue isn't with the spec, or its mechanics, or anything of that sort. Oh no.

The issue is that out of the millions of players who play mages, only this ilvl 496 mage with his magnitude of raiding experience in MSV LFRs has figured out what the spec is really about, what its mechanics are, and how to gem/forge it.
Everyone else is an idiot who needs to l2play.

Yea.. that must be it. It has to do with the wh0lesale, largescale, gamewide stupidity of all the players of the class. (with the exception, ofc, of this one single mage here quoted).

It most certainly has nothing to do with something inherently flawed with the spec itself...

/rollseyes.

I see that extra class of logic helped out /facepalm
Edited by Zomgdps on 6/13/2013 8:52 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Mage
The problem Arcane faces is it needs to turret to put out what are some pretty amazing numbers, but many of the fights on current raids don't allow much turret time, if any.

Some people who farm 13/13 heroic do play Arcane, and they do incredible.
Edited by Breaktheice on 6/13/2013 8:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
1 Human Mage

"Incredible" is relative when you are farming 13/13 heroics. That being said, even at that level, Fire beats out Arcane handily.

When heroics are on farm, it doesn't really matter since you are usually more concerned about not boring yourself to death rather than worrying about being fully optimal (after all, farming != progression).

We usually run completely suboptimal builds for our heroic farms "just for the lols". It isn't really indicative of much.
Edited by Zomgdps on 6/13/2013 9:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
The OP wanted to know how good is arcane. It’s not great but arcane will get the job done. He should have no problem pulling satisfactory numbers and progressing just fine.

He already stated he doesn’t like either frost or fire. I see no reason in derailing him if he wants to continue as arcane, as long as he realizes he will not top the charts.

You all can tout how the other two specs are superior and you will be correct. If he isn’t being called to participate in heroic raids for high end damage he is fine. His damage will still be sufficient and welcome in 5’s, lfr’s, and normals.
Reply Quote
1 Human Mage
The OP wanted to know how good is arcane. It’s not great but arcane will get the job done. He should have no problem pulling satisfactory numbers and progressing just fine.

He already stated he doesn’t like either frost or fire. I see no reason in derailing him if he wants to continue as arcane, as long as he realizes he will not top the charts.

You all can tout how the other two specs are superior and you will be correct. If he isn’t being called to participate in heroic raids for high end damage he is fine. His damage will still be sufficient and welcome in 5’s, lfr’s, and normals.

His damage will be sufficient picking no spec and spamming FFBs into the boss (at least, for those 5 mans and LFRs that you mention). Why can't we advise him to pick that choice?

Do not bash people for giving correct advice.
Edited by Zomgdps on 6/13/2013 10:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
23 Night Elf Hunter
Arcane is the worst spec until you get your 4pc and even then you still want a higher ilvl then just LFR 4 tier pc.

It works in LFR because as long as you do some dps you are fine but I have gone against other arcane mages in there around same gear and demolished them. Not bragging, just letting you know arcane at a lower ilvl doesn't compare to frost. I love arcane, but I know how to play all 3 specs and I want to always put out the best dps I can and unfortunately it is usually only 1 of the 3 specs.

If you raid in a guild then you will want to play frost until your gear allows for arcane. Otherwise you are just hurting your guild with your dps when you could be doing a lot more damage.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Mage
06/13/2013 09:15 AMPosted by Zomgdps

"Incredible" is relative when you are farming 13/13 heroics. That being said, even at that level, Fire beats out Arcane handily.

Not always.

http://worldoflogs.com/rankings/players/Throne_of_Thunder/dps/

Arcane pulls ahead on some fights
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
His damage will be sufficient picking no spec and spamming FFBs into the boss (at least, for those 5 mans and LFRs that you mention). Why can't we advise him to pick that choice?

Do not bash people for giving correct advice.

I don't recall bashing anyone. O.o

The OP had stated that he didn't care for Frost or Fire. I was attempting to tell him that arcane is still viable, just don't expect to be on top of the charts.

His damage will be sufficient picking no spec and spamming FFBs into the boss

Is not correct.
Edited by Noikona on 6/13/2013 10:52 AM PDT
Reply Quote
1 Human Mage

His damage will be sufficient picking no spec and spamming FFBs into the boss

Is not correct.

Yes it is.

Oh look. I can play the game too! xD

Arcane pulls ahead on some fights

On fights where you can abuse how the bombs work with Arcane's mastery, sure.

But that will change when they nerf the bombs, and Arcane will fall back down as soon as that happens.

Arcane has only ever been good in MoP when it is being played in its 'unintended' state.
Previously, it was due to 'scorch camping' (they nerfed that). Today, it is due to the retarded and imbalanced state of the mage bombs.

And rest assured, they will nerf the bombs back. It is a stupid situation right now.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Mage
^So if Arcane does well they're abusing their mastery, but when Fire scores a string of crits and pulls ahead, they're not abusing their mastery?

Okay.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]