2013 MacBook Air

11 Night Elf Druid
Anyone get there hands on it yet how does it play wow?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
I am curious to this as well.

I am about to go pick up one and test it out. I'll post back this evening :)
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Human Warrior
better than old model, still not great. it gets about 44fps on "Good" according to one reviewer.

haswell wasn't a huge performance boost over ivy, it's a huge energy saving boost. but cpu wise it's like like 5% faster give or take a little. air is still a much lower clock speed. the GMA 5000 is certainly an upgrade over 4000 but it's still no dedicated nvidia/AMD.

point is, it's bette than last years model, and it's playable at medium settings. Gaming machine, it is not.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
You seem to know a lot Omegal. Please, if you know, how will a late 2012 27" iMac would perform with WoW and/or the other Blizzard games? The one with Core i5 and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX.

Thanks!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
better than old model, still not great. it gets about 44fps on "Good" according to one reviewer.

haswell wasn't a huge performance boost over ivy, it's a huge energy saving boost. but cpu wise it's like like 5% faster give or take a little. air is still a much lower clock speed. the GMA 5000 is certainly an upgrade over 4000 but it's still no dedicated nvidia/AMD.

point is, it's bette than last years model, and it's playable at medium settings. Gaming machine, it is not.

I am still waiting on the transfer of WoW from my retina macbook to this one.

Definitely not a gaming computer, but the only game I play is WoW so this should be sufficient. I purchased the maxed 13" with the i7 and 8gb of ram. Once I get it loaded I'll post.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Human Warrior
Yeah that should be very playable. long as you aren't expecting to run ultra, you should be able to do everything there is to do in game. probably run good or high just fine, maybe tone it down to fair or good in LFR if you're like me and don't like raiding sub 40. then again some don't mind raiding at 30fps
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
The MacBook Air suggested everything be run on "Low". I tried everything on low settings ran to the Shrine of Two Moons, which was pretty populated and the fps dropped to high 20s low 30s. Fans instantly kicked on and the MacBook got quite warm.

When I was out in Townlong Steppes I was getting 40-44 fps on "Low".

Needless to say I was not impressed and will be sticking with my 13" rMBP. :) Again, this was with the maxed out 13" MacBook air with the i7 and 8gb of ram.

I hope this helps for anyone that may be deciding. I would highly recommend looking into a refurbished MacBook Pro if you are looking to play WoW on it.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Human Warrior
the cpu was probably a huge factor there. plus it is still a GMA after all. a retina macbook pro is going to just be miles ahead of an air.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Hunter
well, that's a bummer. i wasn't particularly buying this macbook air for playing wow but it seems like i'll be getting the same if not a little better fps on this than my old laptop. i bought the highest end i7 with 8gb of ram as well.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior

Good to know though. For people like me looking at upgrading from 4 year old laptops that struggle on Low even with discrete graphics, that's a huge upgrade!

Reliable 30+ fps on good is like a dream for someone whose laptop shuts down to prevent overheating in LFR on Low. The MBA shall remain on my list.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Hi guys. I just got my MBA and i would like to say it runs wow relatively well. Ive got my setting on custom mainly but when I'm on good i can reach around 40-60 fps in shrine.

I did an LFR on good and i did notice the frame rate dropped to around 20-25 but its still fair better than the 2010 imac i was on.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
Hi guys. I just got my MBA and i would like to say it runs wow relatively well. Ive got my setting on custom mainly but when I'm on good i can reach around 40-60 fps in shrine.

I did an LFR on good and i did notice the frame rate dropped to around 20-25 but its still fair better than the 2010 imac i was on.

so may I know the specification of your MBA? CPU? Ram? thx.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Using the 1.3 GHZ i5 model with 8GB of RAM. Got the smaller 128 SSD and it does load up the world very quickly which is rather impressive.

Can get a bit hot over long periods but generally okay.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
Using the 1.3 GHZ i5 model with 8GB of RAM. Got the smaller 128 SSD and it does load up the world very quickly which is rather impressive.

thanks for sharing this with me..i'm still confused about whether buy or not to replace my 3-year old laptop Lenovo ideapad Y450..

i heard many things about the temperature and the sound of the fan... what i care is, whether this level of temperature could make a consistent damage to macbook air.. and the sound..is it very loud? or just the same as other notebook..

btw, what ur fps, in the 25-raid dungeon,, 10? 5? the wild map?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
I'm in the market for a new MBA (I'd like to wait for a Haswell MBP but I need it now). I would like to be able to play some WoW and StarCraft 2 on it, both on the go and using an external monitor.

Would the baseline dual-core i5 CPU with 4 GB of RAM be enough to run those games smoothly on medium or (custom) high? Are there any advantages to getting the hyper-threading i7 since they are both dual-core chips?

I'd rather not upgrade the CPU and RAM if I can help it, with hopes of putting that $250 towards a more dedicated gaming machine at some point in the near future. Just wanted to know if I could scrape by or whether the 8 GB RAM upgrade would be necessary for a good gaming experience.
Reply Quote
88 Worgen Druid

Could you possibly upload a video of the game running on your configuration? I was looking at the i5 with 8GB RAM for my configuration as well. I'd love to wait for the MacBook Pro but who knows when Apple will grace us with an announcement re: that machine.

I'm assuming the HD 5100 integrated graphics on the MBP coupled with what will probably be a 2+ gHz Haswell CPU will make a huge difference when running WoW.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Hey Guys,
I bought a 13 inch Macbook Air (2013) and configured it to the 1.7GHz i7 processor with 8gigs of RAM.

Wow runs incredibly smooth. I have the settings set to medium and im averaging better frame rates in some areas than my 2010 iMac with a 1gig graphics card.

Im extremely happy with the performance. Only thing is it does get quite hot around the WSAD keys and its often that i can feel my skin getting quite hot as the heat escapes around the side of the keyboard tiles.

Hope this helps
Reply Quote
2 Blood Elf Paladin
hey Guys,
I just bought mac air today and installed the windows 7 pro 64 bit on it.
The thing is: Mac OSX driver for graphic suck for gaming purpose (suppose that Apple doesn't want you to play on Apple laptop, so they can keep their head rating high on everything else, but not for gaming things). And, it turns out my friends and I can play LoL (which is more graphic intensive than WoW) with medium settings, shadow off, benchmark mode, vertical synce off. And, we got 100 fps when in start, to mid game is around 70-80, when in battle 60 cap. So, you put on the vertical synce it will be 60 fps constantly.
WoW is more about cpu intensive than LoL, so I would think MBA with i7 and 8gb ram will be better. HD 5000 is the very good upgrade for MBA.
Reply Quote
78 Human Hunter
I would love to get back into wow! I'm just entering college so I need a light laptop like the MBA, but everyone is talking about how hot it is getting... I am very worried that this laptop would burn out and I would be screwed for college, if any one could help that would be much appreciated. I have a budget of 1,400.00. Would buying extra fans for it work?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]