Paladin Mastery and the Future

90 Goblin Priest
Anyone else think the Paladin Mastery is super OP and could use a slight nerf? Or is it just me?

Anyone think a well deserved mastery nerf is coming for them sometime in the future, or is it now time that they reign as the Lord Gods of Healing since Blizzard hasn't shown them a lot of love in the past?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Priest
Mastery was nerfed in 5.3 by ~16.6% for Holy Paladins. I think they're far more in line than they have been this whole expansion.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
Mastery was nerfed in 5.3 by ~16.6% for Holy Paladins. I think they're far more in line than they have been this whole expansion.

I would respectfully disagree. Mainly because I haven't seen a significant (and maybe i shouldnt be seeing something SIGNIFICANT) change to their numbers. Furthermore, I wouldn't say they are quite in balance with most healers just yet.

Would like your thoughts though as to why you think they are more balanced. (numbers, sources, theorycrafting of sorts?)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
LFR is not a good indication of healer balance.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest

And suddenly a wild assumption appeared out of nowhere!
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
The nerf is actually very noticeable on fights that actually require healing, like 2 healing Megaera. On easier content or when bringing more healers than needed, of course absorbs are gonna dominate because they can't be sniped.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
06/12/2013 01:39 AMPosted by Jaesus

I'm not a raider myself but i'm guessing that was said because of that particular character's raiding history
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Anyone else think the Paladin Mastery is super OP and could use a slight nerf? Or is it just me?

bwahahahahhahha.

Kettle this is pot, come in pot.

edit: it is just you.
Edited by Taelaus on 6/12/2013 5:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Um... Do you have a problem with Paladin Mastery or Paladin Healing?

They recently reduced paladin mastery by 16.6% (1/6). Although our mastery is powerful, it's not what makes us powerful. Our power comes from getting "bonus healing" whenever we cast a spell. Mastery is one part of this. Beacon is another. Splash/AE effects and EF are even more.

Any mastery nerf will have minimal effect on us (even the 16.6% one we just got), since it's not real healing. It's an absorb shield. It's a bandaid to stop the bleeding, and it requires REAL healing to get people topped off. What mastery does do is prevent massive overhealing, and make us significantly more mana efficient, since we can "prevent" a little (and I do mean little) damage in the future (15 seconds).

Layering our shields will eat a bit of damage (keeping in mind that a shield tops at 1/3 our health), but it's impossible to cover everyone in a raid with a full shield. Most shields are only 15k~ or so, so they eat little things. They give a bit of wiggle room. Yah it makes the meters jump, but meters don't mean a whole lot.

But this all leads to a gameplay shift. Proactive vs reactive healing. Absorbs grant more leverage to proactive. Paladins however have a slight disadvantage when it comes to reactive healing. We're looking at 2+ second cast times for our power heals. The ramp up time to throw those around is more significant.

Losing more mastery, would highlight our weakness more than anything. Would it change the meters? Not a whole lot.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
As others have said, Paladin mastery has been nerfed.
I also agree with Quess as far as them being more in line.

Now I'm not the most proficient at using Raidbots (not by a long shot lol), but across the board it looks like Paladin healers have scaled down:

All parses over a 3 Month span:

25m NM: http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/Spec_Score/25N/all/14/90/default/#0000000000000000000000000000111111

10m NM:
http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/Spec_Score/10N/all/14/90/default/#0000000000000000000000000000111111

Top 100 parses over a 3 Month span:

25m NM:
http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/Spec_Score/25N/100/14/90/default/#0000000000000000000000000000111111

10m NM:
http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/Spec_Score/10N/100/14/90/default/#0000000000000000000000000000111111
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Paladins are fine every healer is great, none of them are "weak" just people crying about not being able to pad on normal fights.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Paladins are fine every healer is great, none of them are "weak" just people crying about not being able to pad on normal fights.

I agree for every healer except shaman, their ability for spread healing needs addressed.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Meh they shine in other areas more so than other healers, I'm not against it.
Edited by Requital on 6/12/2013 8:34 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
06/12/2013 01:39 AMPosted by Jaesus

Oh delicious irony.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Wow these posts make me laugh. So lets start with some obvious observations which I can see are just beyond you so I must bring them to your attention.

1. Just about every healing class has situations where they could be seen as "overpowered" due to the way mechanics favor certain classes when stacking or spreading or triage healing ect.

2. In all situations where the damage to the raid is very minimal.....LFR especially and even normal at this point when people overgear them and understand fight mechanics a ton Disc Priests and Holy paladins are going to look really good because they are going to absorb all that juicy damage you need to heal to look good on meters as a holy priest.

http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/Jin'rokh_the_Breaker/10H/all/14/60/default/#0000000000000000000000000000111111

3. Once you get to a level of difficulty where you can actually play your character and the encounters aren't dumbed down so much to let everyone defeat them you will see that currently we have probably the best parity in healing in a long time where everyone can be effective.

4. I find it horribly asinine that someone with 23 normal raid kills since MoP was released and a bunch of lfr kill thinks that you have anywhere close to the experience or data to make a statement like this which is horribly ignorant on its very best day.

Lets just deal with the facts.

1. You have never stepped foot into a heroic raid and almost no normal and the normal you have done I would imagine have been at the nerfed level.

So do you really think this makes you qualified to make a statement about paladin mastery based one what?.....some lfrs....could we please step back into reality

2. Paladins are an AMAZING healing class id say just about every 25 man runs with at least 1 and a ton of 10 mans will also.

3. Priests dun dun dun....ARE JUST AS GOOD and again just about every 25 man and a lot of 10 mans will also have them.

These forums really should be used to bring legit concerns about healing balance and throughput and serve as a platform for solving real problems in making the healing landscape look really strong and make all classes viable and appealing.

When you bring this unfounded bs with no data save that you think they are overpowered you cheapen this forum and you make the job of people who actually want to help this game worse.

Please don't bother posting in this forum
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Meh they shine in other areas more so than other healers, I'm not against it.

<----------Vanilla player who quit after clearing BT, made a short 2 month return about a month into Wrath, then quit until MoP. I literally returned for MoP because I had an itch to heal on my shaman. We are a very good healing class, but our weaknesses are a little too pronounced right now. We could probably argue about whether or not our strengths are pronounced enough, but their is no argument over whether our weaknesses are too pronounced.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
The problem with almost everyone posting a reply *note* I said ALMOST everyone, Is that they are assuming I am using LFR as my source for this information.
Let me dispel your fears, NO I AM NOT.

I heal two separate raids each week and both have paladin healers with equivalent or slightly higher gear to my respective healers. When I see that Illuminated healing (YES THEIR MASTERY) is doing almost 50% of their healing....on both AOE and Direct Healing phases. I have an issue with that. Even after the nerf.

Someone stated that nerfing their mastery would only highlight Paladin Healing Weaknesses. Would it be wrong to go off and then say, nerf the Mastery and then buff the heals themselves? Would this not result in a much greater balance?

also. MFW someone states absorbs as heal-snipes but doesn't acknowledge that Paladin Mastery does just that but NOT as effectively as other classes.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
When I see that Illuminated healing (YES THEIR MASTERY) is doing almost 50% of their healing

I don't believe you for one second after reading this.

50 percent of my healing as mastery. I wish..oh how I wish.
Edited by Marathel on 6/12/2013 12:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
06/12/2013 12:05 PMPosted by Jaesus
When I see that Illuminated healing (YES THEIR MASTERY) is doing almost 50% of their healing....on both AOE and Direct Healing phases.

Please link that log from anything post 5.3
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
Additional Info:

Guzrud. You are an !@#$%^- who assumes that based on one account, someone's entire experience can be reflected on their raid progression. The fact that you only have access to one of several of my characters which you are using as your basis, further enrages me because you are generalizing.

Secondly, the current armory update shows me using a holy priest. My main spec is Discipline which I use to heal for this guild's progression team. I am currently testing out some different stat priorities on Holy. So again ASSUME all you want but it is WILDLY incorrect.

SMH people using armory to try to determine why a person is posting on a general topic. My character, and my heals have nothing to do with the fact that Paladin Mastery accounts for almost 50% of the healing they do. This is every paladin i have healed with on NORMAL MODE 10 MAN AND 25 MAN FIGHTS.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]