5.4 Preview: Connected Realms

90 Human Hunter
Taken from
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/10158897/54_PTR_Coming_Soon-6_11_2013

New Feature: Virtual Realms

Virtual Realms are sets of realms that are fused together, and will behave exactly as if they were one cohesive realm. Players on the same Virtual Realm will be able to join guilds, access a single Auction House, join arena teams and raids, as well run dungeons or group up to complete quests.
Players belonging to the same Virtual Realm will have a (#) symbol next to their name.

Thoughts?
Edited by Samarrah on 8/5/2013 3:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Of course!!! We finally unite the server(Mostly) and BAM! Server merge(Mostly)! I am iffy about it. Truthfully it's a relief for our community who enjoys a larger AH and more group variety. But to those of us who truly appreciate the magic of Cho'gall, this could be a disaster.

It depends too much on which server we get. I would love to opt-in for another tiny server to be our "sister server". A small increase would be nice, something to chat about on Trade for awhile. A medium pop server, with all their trolls and spammers? Complete train wreck for our community.

I suppose we'll see. I still have faith <The Alliance> will keep us strong and unified even with the possibility of being surrounded by strangers!
Edited by Telestio on 6/12/2013 7:34 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Not a fan. If I wanted to play on a bigger server, I'd just play on a bigger server (and I have, played on both very high, and low, pop servers). Although a lot of people have been urging for merging low pop servers, and this sort of seems to be doing practically that. Plus, having played on alliance on Cho'gall, I can definitely see you guys liking it, just for the expanded auction house. Every time I scroll through it on my ally alt, 90% of the auctions are from 1-2 people (and about twice the price as horde-side prices)
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I agree with Hades. While I do see it being great for some, it's just not my taste. I mean, what is the point of having separate realms now?

Then again, it depends on how Blizzard is working it. Will they make it so you can leave and join another realm on a whim? Maybe it's a paid service? Really, without knowing anything about it, there are many things that could make or break this feature.

As for The Alliance, I'm not to concerned. Even if Cho'gall Alli becomes med pop (again, assuming that is how Blizzard is working it) we will still have community and friendship as before, it just won't be completely realm-wide.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
I have the same concerns as you guys pretty much. I mean, the very fact that there are fewer people on Alliance than the average server fosters a sense of appreciation for each other and encourages a close-knit community. BUT the way I see it, if a healthy auction house and more opportunities to raid, pvp, etc keep some of my favorite people here (people who, in the past, I worried would transfer) then great! As for our guild, I think it will still be fine. Like Carnash said, the friendships we've made now, coupled with the fact that many of us feel a sense of pride in our community, will keep a lot of us connected going into this.

I remember having a conversation with Luna about sticking around until Blizzard does something about the imbalance. We joked about reminiscing about the good ol' days before the merge or whatever.

"Back in my day, if I wanted ore, I couldn't just buy it off the auction house like you kids do today. I asked my friends for help and if they didn't have any, I'd farm it up myself!" lol.

OH! LUNA! This is you! lol.

"Back in my day, when I wanted a sexy platekini, I had to transfer to another server to get it because it wasn't something I could find in our little auction house. Nowadays, if you kids try to look as sexy as me, all you have to do is spend a few gold right here. You don't have to work for it." :P
Edited by Samarrah on 6/12/2013 2:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
My main question on it is, will you be able to do current content raids in any difficulty you want for fused realms? I assume yes based on the general wording but they didn't explicitly mention it so I am kind of erring on the side of no.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
We better be able to mail our BoA heirlooms to alts on different realms, tis all i'm sayin. I find out out Blizzard can do this and not that.

>.>
Reply Quote
90 Troll Rogue
They don't just Merge servers because then they would have to REFUND hundreds of thousands of dollars in Name/Realm changes. Also there is a !@#$ ton of stuff tied to the NAME of a toon, I don't think they know how to get around.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
They don't just Merge servers because then they would have to REFUND hundreds of thousands of dollars in Name/Realm changes. Also there is a !@#$ ton of stuff tied to the NAME of a toon, I don't think they know how to get around.

They wouldn't have to refund any money on anything.

Thats like saying they would have to refund money I spent on TBC and WOTLK.

Which is just silly. i bought those at that time and that was so i could play them at that time. Sure they *could* refund it, but they are not obligated to.
Reply Quote
As Hiroran said, they would not have to refund anything. The realms are not being "merged," but "fused;" a subtle difference, but a difference nonetheless.

It is going to work very much like battlegrounds do right now. You are doing to see other people, but they might be from different physical servers. If these people are on the same virtual realm you will be able to group up with them, trade with them, raid, BG, arena with them etc. In order to see whether or not his person is on a different physical realm there will be a "#" next to their name, similar to the names in a BG, where you have the realm they are on next to their name. So, things like realm xfers and name changes won't be effected, and therefore won't need their expenditures refunded.

Now don't get me wrong, if I xfer from a realm and end up fused with the realm I just xferred from I would be upset, but the new virtual realm system doesn't necessitate a refund because of that. In essence, you know that there will be virtual realms, there have been rumors for a long time and it was announced a while ago, so in a reality if you xferred your realm recently and you end up fused with your old realm, I don't feel too bad for you.
Reply Quote
Also, if anyone knows of a list or potential list of which realms are being fused with which realms, I would be very interested in knowing.

Thx.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
No new info about which realms will go where as far as I can tell. But I too am very curious! I've heard speculation about servers within their respective Battlegroups being fused together. It makes sense, but there is still no official word...
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/10551009/Patch_54_Feature_Preview_Connected_Realms-8_5_2013

More info is available!!!

We haven’t decided yet which realms will be made part of a Connected Realm, or which other realms they’ll be connected to, though realms will only be connected to other realms of the same type (e.g. PvE to PvE, PvP to PvP, RP to RP). In the end, we’re considering a number of factors, including Battlegroup, population, and faction balance.

I feel like most of their points have already been covered and that there wasn't a ton of new information, except the hint at the end of the Q&A that this feature might be delayed a bit...

D:
Edited by Samarrah on 8/5/2013 3:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Rereading it, something did stand out:

Q. Will Connected Realms have any limitations?
A. There should be no limitations. We want the experience to be seamless, and we expect it work as if you’re suddenly part of a much more active realm.

No limitations? Seamless experience? The above excerpt seem very loaded and to me would imply that I can mail stuff to toons on another server if we are grouped together, which was a big concern I had. Maybe I am assuming things --and I wish they had spelled stuff out more-- but to me, that is a bit comforting.
Edited by Samarrah on 8/6/2013 5:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
And so it begins...

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/9948294765#1

Good luck to the folks at Boulderfist & Bloodscalp!!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]