Tier 16 Set Bonuses

90 Gnome Mage
I was thinking Frost was going to get some nerf/reworking.

Nerf because it's popular so obviously they will do something about it. Rework because it (still) has no scaling to speak of.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
I'm not sure how I feel about the 2pc bonus for Frost just yet. These are my 3 concerns:

1) We are already getting a chance at FoF procs with each brainfreeze so while it's cool to have a guaranteed proc from one, it doesn't feel exciting. Our "baked-in" benefit of generating those FoF procs are also overwritten.

2) We will be at greater risk of overwriting FoF procs, especially during Frost orb and streaks of FoF charges or brainfreezes.

3) While running with NT, I wonder how this will affect brainfreeze proc streaks, whether combined or not, with FoF streaks. Sometimes my brainfreeze streaks run 3-4 times in a row and that would mean I would either lose a brainfreeze proc that I wouldn't have otherwise lost or lose a FoF proc.

The burst potential will be really cool, but I'm already having procs overwritten without the bonus. I'm interested to see where this goes, but I'd rather see something similar to arcane's bonus where it sounds really cool and is syngergistic to the frost playstyle.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
I agree with everyone saying the 2p for Frost as not being very helpful.

How do you all feel about having the 2p bonus lower the CD of Frozen Orb? So consuming BF would lower the CD of Frozen Orb by a certain amount. Even still lowering the CD of IV like they did for t14 is better.

Or maybe, have the 2p bonus drop the boulder and the boulder makes the target be Frozen for a number of secs. That might be too OP though.

Idk, Im just trying to bounce ideas as the bonuses for Frost dont sound very appealing to me.
Edited by Bogey on 6/12/2013 9:45 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm not sure how I feel about the 2pc bonus for Frost just yet. These are my 3 concerns:

1) We are already getting a chance at FoF procs with each brainfreeze so while it's cool to have a guaranteed proc from one, it doesn't feel exciting. Our "baked-in" benefit of generating those FoF procs are also overwritten.

2) We will be at greater risk of overwriting FoF procs, especially during Frost orb and streaks of FoF charges or brainfreezes.

3) While running with NT, I wonder how this will affect brainfreeze proc streaks, whether combined or not, with FoF streaks. Sometimes my brainfreeze streaks run 3-4 times in a row and that would mean I would either lose a brainfreeze proc that I wouldn't have otherwise lost or lose a FoF proc.

The burst potential will be really cool, but I'm already having procs overwritten without the bonus. I'm interested to see where this goes, but I'd rather see something similar to arcane's bonus where it sounds really cool and is syngergistic to the frost playstyle.

The 2p will be an absolute movement buff. Make sure you spend FoF first if you have two, then BF, then Lance x2. Then you still have Ice Floes to cast twice. This should make Frost extremely mobile, more so than it already is.

On the 2p for Fire, this will be a nice bonus when setting up Combustion (Haste buff will always be up since we're chaining Pyros) though I'm afraid it won't be as strong as I originally thought, since Alter Time will reset the stack to 0 when we're half way through our setup.

4p... That's just awful. I almost never need Inferno Blast and when they nerf CM again, it won't be long before gear scaling takes over and we're back in the same spot. My guess is, that'll take about as long as it'll take to build a 4 set anyway.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
The four-piece for fire looks ridiculously tentative to me.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
06/12/2013 09:41 AMPosted by Mageski
The 2p will be an absolute movement buff. Make sure you spend FoF first if you have two, then BF, then Lance x2.

This.

2p is meant to help Frost's mobility. Frost currently does okay on short term movements as long as it can hold procs and if Orb is ready, but on long term movement it suffers a little and the only thing it can do is pray for RNG with bomb BF procs, and have Elemental cast Waterbolt on the move.

With this 2p, when our BF procs on the move, we will also follow up with a FoF. It will also change our burst phase with AT (basically will become IL -> FFB -> IL -> IL -> some stuff -> repeat). Beats the current 2p IMO (for Frost).

Will probably begin to somewhat favor LB over NT on single target even more (LB wins as it is anyway), because NT results in many BF proc overrides at higher levels of haste. Controlled sustained burst will be amazing with Frost Bomb on low-mobility fights.

Imagine a new fight like Durumu with the maze phase and this 2p. My body is *ready*!!

That said, I don't know what the deal is with the Icy Boulder on 4p =/
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Did you guys notice that our mana gems are apparently going to restore 360k mana as well?

Something tells me they want us to go arcane again...
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
That said, I don't know what the deal is with the Icy Boulder on 4p =/

I'm putting my bet on what a few others are saying that I've seen, and it'll make the target be considered frozen for a set amount of time. At least, this is mainly what I'm hoping for.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Did you guys notice that our mana gems are apparently going to restore 360k mana as well?

Of course they do, people went away from Arcane in 5.2 and 5.3 so they think something is wrong.

I do feel though, given how radically they keep changing Arcane from one expansion to the other at times, it's almost as if they have no idea how to balance it properly. At one point it was so ridiculously OP with Scorch weaving but the next it got changed into something only mages farming 13/13 heroic could use. =/
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage

That has to be a datamining error given that our mana pools are only 300k.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
For the frost bonus, I wonder if it will work like:
use brainfreeze, still has a chance to proc an extra Ice Lance, gives you one ice lance (Possible change of getting two ice lances)

or if brainfreeze will no longer have a chance of proccing brainfreeze, and will always just give you 1
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
probly will be they always do nerf fire, but the 4pc could save a bad rng string with a proc just IB 3 times and good to go as well as its cleave potential.

Even if CM is massively nerfed and we have really low crit ratings, I don't see the appeal of the 4 piece, outside of AoE.

Get HU, use IB.
Hardcast fireball until you get another HU
Hardcast a fireball+use pyro, have neither crit
Hardcast fireball until you get another HU

If you go through all of those events in 6 seconds, then the IB cooldown reduction could net you an extra pyro. But the odds of that are pretty low. I mean, a removal of the cooldown entirely doesn't even seem that helpful to me for single target.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Can't say im a fan of the set bonuses. I suppose the 2 pc would be good for a combustion since we should be casting pyro's before that, but the 4 pc sounds so lack luster and almost with no benefit.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Arcane -- 2 and 4 piece -- Both GROSSLY favor Arcane.

Note: I am not saying they are OP. I'm sure if it is deemed so, they'll be toned down. I am pointing out that the set bonuses that favor one spec so heavily often force the class to go that spec for maximum DPS.

T16 clearly favors Arcane over the other specs. The 2 and 4 piece also synergize nicely, which you don't see often. (It looks like you're trying to do that with Fire and Frost, but it's not working).

Fire -- 2 Piece -- Interesting. Really depends on the buff's uptime. If this has an uptime like DS's (T13?) 2 piece, it may be nice. I also find it odd that this won't provide any more Haste rating than the level 85 gear (considering due to stat deflation -- the T13 provided much more haste).

Fire -- 4 piece -- likely won't notice a difference with the 4 Piece at all. A thought would be for the 4 piece "proc" to also buff IB's dmg as well.

Frost -- 2 Piece -- seems much more like a PVP 2 piece than a PVE one. It's also pretty bad.

1) FFB can cause a FoF proc by itself. In order to maximize movement, I usually carry around 1 FoF. This means, the 2 Piece would be wasted.

2) ALSO -- FoF procs happen and our current single target order of priority is Brain Freeze > FoF > FoF, so as to not waste the RNG BF procs. This would be causing lost procs.

3) I really don't need more instant cast spells based on RNG procs. I'd rather have a Mastery/Haste/SP buff. The T15 2 piece is nice (despite the devalued Crit component).

4) Time spent casting a "free" FoF proc is time I could have spent casting FB (keeping the debuff up) which also has a chance to proc FoF as well.

The ONLY way this 2 piece would be useful to me as Frost was if the free FoF Ice Lance it granted was off the GCD (and even then I don't think the game would be able to register fast enough to prevent me from casting an unbuffed Ice Lance by accident).

SUGGESTION: Instead of a FoF proc -- consuming BF makes your next Frostbolt hit as if the target were Frozen.

Frost 4 piece -- Fun!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
Frost 2pc is pretty awful, so many of those procs will be munched unless you sit on a brain freeze to dump all your FoF procs, in which case you'll probably lose out on some BF procs. Overall just a very lackluster 2pc.

4pc sounds cool.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Don't forget there'll still be 2 months of PTR to test things out. No doubt they will change a lot of details (iirc a lot of the set bonus' are datamined anyway, not official blizz release).

Currently, Arcane is the big winner here (I'll still avoid it like the plague though). It is sad however, that Arcane seems to be built around having set pieces.

Personally, I love the frost set bonus'. The 2 set will mean a lot more movement capabilities, as well as a bit more burst damage. It seems the only people complaining are the NT multi-dotters having a whine about too many BF procs. I think this will make frost bomb a lot stronger on single target, since it won't "eat" extra BF procs.

Compared to previous tiers (14/15) these set bonus' look really nice, although they seem far too strong for arcane.

As for fire, I see it like this: After doing the PoM/AT pyro combo, you'll have an extra 3750 haste to bump up the number of combust ticks. And for 4 set, it says no cooldown. The way I read it, this means that for 6 seconds you can spam InfBlast as often as you want for that 6 seconds, while getting a million pyro procs. Add to this the haste you get from casting pyro, and you could build a nice bit of damage when 4 piece procs.

What I'd really like to see though is better scaling for frost mages. Please make us not suck in 5.4 gears.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
do any of you actually understand the fire spec? i have to wonder the way you all criticize the 4pc bonus.

its geared mainly towards aoe potential and i believe they should make combustion have a 100% chance to proc it so you ensure aoe when you need it most, but it also has that 10% chance of procing on single target, yes we dont use it much now, wether they nerf CM or not doesnt matter to this, the fact is we dont use it much now mostly because it has a cd. the proc on single target could easily save a bad rng string by letting you use it 3 times for a HS and HU.

think of fights like tortos, once you finish a set of turtles and swap to the boss and combustion is ready, but you only have 5 seconds or so until the next set comes whirling out, if you get a proc then its OP, and many other fights it could do the same.

the point is that its geared to fix fire aoe since fire single target is tops right now and if they dont nerf CM it should remain there or close to it.

also if they dont let combustion always proc it, they could let us bank the proc, not starting the 6 seconds of no cd until we use it, so we could get one and use it on aoe or to save a bad steak of no crits, some way of having it when we need it not just having a 10% chance of doing good aoe or a 10% chance of saving a bad rng streak. either way this 4pc has incredible potential.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage

That has to be a datamining error given that our mana pools are only 300k.

But if you use glyph of loose mana you won't get the 360k at once, it will be over a course of time, so you could technically end up needing all 360k mana.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
make haste scale with frozen orb IMO
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
do any of you actually understand the fire spec? i have to wonder the way you all criticize the 4pc bonus.

its geared mainly towards aoe potential and i believe they should make combustion have a 100% chance to proc it so you ensure aoe when you need it most, but it also has that 10% chance of procing on single target, yes we dont use it much now, wether they nerf CM or not doesnt matter to this, the fact is we dont use it much now mostly because it has a cd. the proc on single target could easily save a bad rng string by letting you use it 3 times for a HS and HU.

think of fights like tortos, once you finish a set of turtles and swap to the boss and combustion is ready, but you only have 5 seconds or so until the next set comes whirling out, if you get a proc then its OP, and many other fights it could do the same.

the point is that its geared to fix fire aoe since fire single target is tops right now and if they dont nerf CM it should remain there or close to it.

also if they dont let combustion always proc it, they could let us bank the proc, not starting the 6 seconds of no cd until we use it, so we could get one and use it on aoe or to save a bad steak of no crits, some way of having it when we need it not just having a 10% chance of doing good aoe or a 10% chance of saving a bad rng streak. either way this 4pc has incredible potential.

Can you explain to me what bosses this tier a fire mage has the opportunity to AoE? I mean sure, there are a few exceptions, but there is no way a 4 pc set should be tailored to MAYBE 25% of a instances fights. I really dont see the real benefit. And as far as the 2 set goes, 4 seconds is really only going to affect combustion stacking, so its not the greatest either.

Im sure after some PTR testing it will all be tweaked and we'll all be happy :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]