my DPS went up 30k by switching to frost

90 Blood Elf Mage
and I have no idea what I'm doing (I read guides and understand the basics but it's still new to me). what the heck man. It feels like less work to get these numbers too.

I like it. It just makes fire look very, very sad to me now :(
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Ego
I felt the same about frost before 5.2. I didnt really get it so i just stuck with Arcane. After 5.2 I decided to switch to frost and i just been destroying meters since. I actually been ranked on a bunch of fights, and I think i am at least 156 on all ToT fights except for a few.

Also frost just feels easy to play, just hit your bomb, frozen orb, icy veins, wait til you get 2 FoF and brain freeze, hit alter time, spam ice lance and frostfire bolt, hopefully you keep getting procs, alter time effect happens, if you have your 2 set you get a nice haste boost after. I can usually get over 200k and just try to maintain your damage throughout the fight. Frost is also good for fights with alot of movement.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Total shame because I find frost to be the most boring spec. nothing about it feels very... mage-y to me.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Ego
whats not mage-y about throwing frost bolts and ice shards at an enemy boss?
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
It took me a while to enjoy Frost but right now I think its the most fun raiding spec for mages.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
i got 300 bux back when i switch to geik... fire
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Frost is the easiest to pick up by far imo but it got boring for me after a while so I switched to fire for funsies
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Fire is all about gear once you have good gear fire will beat frost
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
and I have no idea what I'm doing (I read guides and understand the basics but it's still new to me). what the heck man. It feels like less work to get these numbers too.

I like it. It just makes fire look very, very sad to me now :(

Welcome to the club. I've been trying to go fire ever since 5.3 hit but the only way I can beat my numbers as frost is when I get extremely good RNG with how my trinkets line up with my combustions, and then on top of that, how lucky I get with the pyroblast crits.

Frost just seems to do better damage more consistently with less effort. I think people are slowly starting to catch on.
Edited by Kaikou on 6/13/2013 10:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Frost is an absolute monster, and it's very consistent damage. I really enjoyed playing frost, but fire is what I have the most fun playing.

Once your crit is high enough, you should give fire a try. It's very unpredictable damage because it's so RNG based.

I really dislike arcane, I don't like the idea of having to stand in the stupid runes. Then again, all the mage 90 talents are dog s***.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
No frost mage seems to agree on stat priorties. But I find the frost rotation to be very simple. keep your bomb up then use procs in this order Brain Freeze>Icelance>then frostbolt as a filler
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
No frost mage seems to agree on stat priorties

Crit to cap, haste, mastery, additional crit.

Crit is damn near equal in value to haste up until you hit the crit cap.

I think there's also been discussion about switching back to NT from LB once you hit a certain haste breakpoint (I think it was ~12,700 something) but I haven't really looked into that.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Most Mages agree on:

Haste>Crit to Cap>Mastery

23% Crit Soft Cap is what most are going for as ToT Trinkets when procced should move you to the cap. After reaching that Cap go Haste/Mastery.

There is still not a complete agreement on what to do when reaching 12685 Haste, which is the 18th tick of NT. Reaching this point give you the flexibility to use LB single target and NT multi. Some are still going haste after reaching that point, some are gemming Int and staying as close to that number till they can reach the next NT tick (15833).

I would say most of the better Frost Mages agree on what I said above. There are more debates past this though like to use IV Glyph or not. How much Haste, is there a limit or not, etc.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Frost is more consistent than Fire, that's for sure. The problem with Fire is that if the RNG doesn't go in your favour then you won't be doing exceptional numbers. With good RNG, a Fire mage will beat a Frost mage if the two are equal, but it also depends on the fight. Fire has to potential to blow Frost out of the water on something like the Council, but Frost has a clear advantage on something like heroic Horridon.

Switching from Frost to Fire for the first few weeks will likely bring you a lower DPS because you simply aren't as used to it as you are Frost and the RNG can really show its ugly side when you start. Switching from Fire to Frost can be the opposite because now you have consistent DPS and it's much easier to take advantage of your cooldowns without the risk of RNG or you screwing it up to get in the way.

Generally for Frost I'd say it's Haste>Crit>Mastery. That seems to be the general consensus.
Reply Quote
Total shame because I find frost to be the most boring spec. nothing about it feels very... mage-y to me.

Play it in PvP. I agree, it's extremely boring in PvE, but it is insanely fun in PvP.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
06/14/2013 01:10 PMPosted by Veggie
Frost is more consistent than Fire, that's for sure.

^ This.
Reply Quote
Sadly, when I switched to my frost spec temporarily, I was able to get through my legendary encounter with Nalak... could not do it as Arcane.

My DPS, however, remains constant between specs.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]