Where to start for information

90 Tauren Shaman
So instead of trying to find a raiding guild I decided to start a raid team in my current one, we haven't had a raid yet but we are gearing up for one and recruiting. I came here to get some information that may help me and my team do better. My question general pro train to where I should be looking for information:

Where should I be looking for boss strageys?
Is there any place besides here I should be reading for tips on leading?

Thanks for any help
Reply Quote
For learning boss fights and strategies, there's three main resources I use.

1) Icy-veins. Take notes (I do it old-school in a notebook with highlighters and pen) so you can have the info at hand and answer questions about the fight. If you say "This will hit for a lot, avoid it" it doesn't always sink in. If you say "This will hit you for 300k, avoid it," that can help get the point across.
2) Fatboss videos on Youtube. These are almost always the videos I ask raiders to watch; they're short, concise, easy to understand, and conclusive. Unfortunately they won't be doing raid guides after T15 :(
3) Tankspot fills in any leftover gaps.

If we're still having trouble (looking at you Garalon,) I'll then go to the WoW forums and do a search to see other players' issues and the advice they got.

Additionally, I just wanted to add I was in a similar situation not too long ago. Basically me and a fellow guildie built up a raid team from scratch, recruited and pugged, ran through T14 to get geared and "practice." Once things start to come together and you see people improve and start to work as a team, it all pays off. Good luck! :D
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
In regards to strategies: Just as Meridon said, read the fight on Icy Veins and then watch a few YouTube videos on it. Make sure to watch more than one so you get to learn about the variations in strategies that people use. Make lots of notes in a format you can easily refer to afterwards.

In regards to leading:
1. Make sure you select your members properly and go in together into LFR first to ensure everyone is on the same page performance-wise. While DPS/HPS numbers shouldn't be fully relied on to determine how good a player someone is, they can be used as a rough guide. For example, an ilvl 510 DPS shouldn't be doing 30k on a good day.

2. Memorize the fights and make notes for yourself. Talk through the entire raid the first time you do it. For example, to lead the first boss ToT encounter: "Pulling in 3 2 1 ... Puddle at red marker ... Everyone in the water ... Hero now ... Everyone get out, stack ..." etc.

3. Let people take responsibility during the fight. Using the first ToT boss again, don't call out who has a ball on them to kite. Let them observe and kite on their own. But ensure that you've explained in detail how to perform this mechanic ahead of time. If you decide to call out every little thing like some people do you will more than likely end up with a team that does nothing unless instructed and will wipe the raid if the raid leader is slow to call out.

4. Prepare for your initial raids. Obtain feasts and flasks you can give or sell to people. Let them know ahead of time that they must come prepared with their gear reforged, gemmed, enchanted, etc. Prior to the boss pull, double check that they've flasked up and eaten. There are addons for that.

5. Tell people when they make mistakes so they can fix them. You don't have to call them out publicly in Vent as that will just fluster them. Just whisper the member saying "hey, you need to stack on this boss, you tend to stand too far away".

Leading is just practice. I never intended or wanted to lead but started doing so as it was necessary ... Key is to be comfortable speaking in Vent.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
Good advice here already but I wanted to make a note...

06/13/2013 02:26 AMPosted by Meridon
2) Fatboss videos on Youtube. These are almost always the videos I ask raiders to watch; they're short, concise, easy to understand, and conclusive. Unfortunately they won't be doing raid guides after T15 :(

I LOVE FatBoss and was extremely sad to hear they wouldn't be doing WoW Guides anymore :( But...

Vox Immortalis does pretty decent ones. They're a bit "dry" on the humor side we're used to from FatBoss but the information is generally really good. To prepare of the "end" of FatBoss I'd suggest looking at both VI and FB for now to get an visual guide to encounters.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
06/13/2013 07:25 AMPosted by Malorey
Vox Immortalis does pretty decent ones.

The Vox videos are also very long and very detailed, which I think would be good if you're just starting to lead raids. It's good to know why you want them to handle a mechanic in the way you're instructing.
Reply Quote
I LOVE FatBoss and was extremely sad to hear they wouldn't be doing WoW Guides anymore :(

I KNOW right? :( I've yet to find videos that are just as polished and to the point. Their videos are usually around 7-10 mins, I have no problems saying to my raiders "Hey guys, take 10m to watch this video and you'll be good to go." Plus those guys are charismatic as hell and the info is so much easier to take in when delivered that way.

Vox Immortalis does pretty decent ones.

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to check them out. I'll certainly be looking for a new go-to come t15. Btw OP;

Is there any place besides here I should be reading for tips on leading?

I think these forums, and the stickies at the top if you haven't read through them yet, provide some good resources and advice :).
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
For me having to listen to Vox is a blight worse than sitting through an economics lecture in university. However, it's a necessary evil. It's good content ... Just extremely painful to get through.
Reply Quote
6 Gnome Rogue
I switched from recommending the FB videos to the VI ones a long time ago, when I realized that a lot of the FB ones were missing important information and were also done on the PTR and never updated with live changes... take that how you will.

The FB ones aren't bad assuming you a: intend to use EXACTLY the strat, raid comp etc that they are recommending and b: you take them with a grain of salt and assume that there is stuff you're going to have to figure out on your own.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Another note on the guy doing the Vox guides - in response to complaints about the length of his (IMO excellent and thorough) videos, he is now doing "quick" guides.

Also Aliena of Tankspot fame is back making video guides as well. I always found her videos clear and concise.

For myself, Icy Veins and Manaflask are primary resources. Manaflask has ties to Method, and I like the fact that they embed Method kill videos in the strats themselves so I can see what exactly some of the top players in the world did during an encounter.
Reply Quote
I usually use icy-veins and keep it up, running wow in windowed mode for quick access, give my raiders the main key points like "drop this over here" I ask the tanks or my raid assist to set the markers down for me. When we wipe I will ask the raiders "Okay, so this was a good attempt, but where did we go wrong?" and usually someone will say "well, this tank wasnt taunting fast enough" and I will then question that tank and ask him to be a little faster in his taunting next time if it means him installing a taunt addon to do so.
also, I suggest buying the book The Guild Leader's handbook! alot of good information and even a specific section on raiding with your guild. Its geared for ALL mmo's not just wow, but he does give specific cases to wow as well. You can buy it on amazon, I got mine for like 15 bucks.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]