So, Ask Mr. Robot rates me higher as fire

90 Draenei Mage
When I check my gear score with Ask Mr. Robot, as my current spec and gear, I have a score of 176,054 as frost and 204,473 if I change my spec to fire and hit "optimize gear". I've read previous posts that say that I should have 38% crit before I switch to fire, yet with my present gear, my haste is too low to pull decent dps as frost anyway. Can someone please advise me on what I should do?
Reply Quote
Stay frost. There is no way you can pull needed crit for fire with your gear level, unless you want to play heavy RNG game.
Reply Quote
95 Undead Mage
38% crit self buffed is the beginning of when things improve for fire. Think it's around 10,700-10,800 crit rating. Frost will perform well even though the secondary stats aren't ideal-- yes, you'll do more dps as Frost with more haste, but you won't do so much more that it isn't worth it now to remain frost.

Honestly Fire was frustrating post 5.2 and up til pretty recently for me. I never switched to Arcane or ran Frost when Fire was nerfed. So what happened is that I grew crit-heavy with gear choices. Something to keep in mind. It isn't necessarily bad to stick with a "lesser" spec, as they are all somewhere on the charts over at raidbots. Sure, Frost is lowest in heroic content, but then Fire gets the gear it needs and outshines the other two specs (as intended through gear scaling). Arcane is (and has been, for the better part of the last two expansions if not longer) always the best simulated spec.

Hope that helps.
Edited by Aarÿn on 6/14/2013 4:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman
At your gear level frost will indeed pull better dps.

At the same time, you are only running normal so if you learn frost or fire well enough then either will be great for you.

One more thing, the numbers on askmrrobot do not dictate any actual dps amount. From my understanding they are based on the stat weights and the amount of a stat you have. Thats it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
EDIT: ...how the hell?
Edited by Jyodi on 6/14/2013 7:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
Thanks for all of the responses. I won't switch to fire yet then, as I imagine I'd find it frustrating without enough crit. I am thinking of possibly switching to arcane as I have a lot of mastery on my gear. Unfortunately rawr.mage has stopped working for this character so I can't see the dps of each spec with my current gear.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Frost will be better.

It's probably simming your fire as having amazingly good rng
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
AskMR isn't a sim. It uses static weights, while the real weights are always changing. Your spec score has nothing to do with real world DPS, only comparing gear sets within a spec.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Thanks for all of the responses. I won't switch to fire yet then, as I imagine I'd find it frustrating without enough crit. I am thinking of possibly switching to arcane as I have a lot of mastery on my gear. Unfortunately rawr.mage has stopped working for this character so I can't see the dps of each spec with my current gear.

A bit off topic, but I hope this helps you...

Rawr has an issue with random enchantment gear. Either unequip your back piece or change it out for a different one if possible and you should be able to use Rawr for your character.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
Rawr really hasn't worked for mages this entire expansion.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Mage
Keep in mind, AMR's rating number is just a sum of the value of all stats on the current equipped layout. You need to keep in mind that if I take the same gear, and even the same spec, and change the weights of the numbers to be 10x their current value but keep the ratio, the rating number will jump up.

If one spec carries smaller weights than the other spec, but relatively the same ratio (even if divided differently amongst dfferently prioritizedstats), the rating numbers will be quite different.

In other words, don't use the rating numbers to compare between specs unless you have made equivalencies for weights between them.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]