T15 4-piece bonus best? (Data requested)

100 Human Mage
So askmrrobot has changed for me form a few months ago. Originally, it was recommending getting the legs and shoulders, which both have haste/crit and then filling in the head, glove, and leg slots with TF off-gear.

Now it's proposing the 4-piece bonus.

Ironically, I've somehow messed up my gear lately by having tons of Mastery, and I can definitely state with confidence that it screws with your dps. I'm working on getting back to stacking Haste>Crit (cap)>master (obviously maxing hit), but I want to know about the value of the 4-piece bonus. Will it be worth it to lose TF items that have haste/crit to get set pieces with mastery that provide the bonus?

Thanks,
Reply Quote
1 Human Mage
Generally, yes.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
Any chance I can get a little bit more data than "Generally, yes." ffrom a level 1 mage? lol
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
I'm wondering something similar. I have 4 pieces of Chromatic Hydra LFR 502, but only two equipped. On the other two slots are a 522+8 Valor chest and 516 gloves. Would have to replace those (giving up a 516 and 530 for 502s) to get the 4-set bonus.

AskMrRobot says those are best in bag, but when I look at stat changes, I don't think the 6% increased to Finger of Frost proc is worth the loss of stamina, spell power, intellect, crit, iLvl, etc...

Wondering what everyone else thinks.
Reply Quote
1 Human Mage
Any chance I can get a little bit more data than "Generally, yes." ffrom a level 1 mage? lol

You asked a pretty straightforward question, "is the set bonus worth it?"

The answer is "generally, yes".

Tbh, its a question with a pretty binary answer space. I'm not quite certain what more you want?

To be sure, just run your toon through the myriad of optimization tools out there (e.g Mr robot etc). Other than that you are good to go.

It really isn't that complex a topic tbh.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
the set bonus is 6.5% crit to pyroblast this leads to more heating up and hot streak procs which means more damage. Unless you gain 3k crit rating from other pieces which you cant the 4p with the horridon helm is better then 3 pieces with the horridon helm and prim chest.
Reply Quote
Been wondering the same too, although I need one more piece to get the 4 set bonus. But I have acquired some 522 gear with better secondary stats and have upgraded some of them as well. Going with alot of the gear to achieve 4pc set bonus will significantly decrease my overall crit, and I haven't calculated my actual crit IF I had the 4pc mostly because I dont know which of the next pcs I'll be able to get and clearly I cant test it out until I get it. Hard to say if 6.5% crit to Pyro alone will be worth downgrading gear and decreasing my crit for all spells just for that one bonus. So, yes, it can be somewhat complex

Guess its gonna take getting the other 4th pc and doing some testing....maybe next week.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
the set bonus is 6.5% crit to pyroblast this leads to more heating up and hot streak procs which means more damage. Unless you gain 3k crit rating from other pieces which you cant the 4p with the horridon helm is better then 3 pieces with the horridon helm and prim chest.

I appreciate the info, but I'm frost and probably intend to stay frost. If I was fire, the 4-piece seems to be a no-brainer, but the frost seems a bit more questionable.

I also want to clarify that I wouldn't be lowering my gear from 522 to 502. I'm talking about having 528 TF gear as an alternative to 522 set gear with the bonus.
Edited by Skardd on 6/15/2013 8:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
The frost 4pc gives you 40% more FoF procs (15 -> 21 is a 40% increase) from Frostbolt, which is the source of ~half of your FoF procs, so overall it's ~20% more FoF.

Ice Lance is ~20% of your damage, so 20% more Ice Lance is +4% damage. However, those have to replace Frostbolts, so there's something of an opportunity cost; the DPET of Ice Lance is about 3x that of Frostbolt, so really only 2/3 of that 4% is actual gain. Which places the set bonus at something like +2.5% total damage, assuming strictly single-target. Which is in the "normal-to-good" range for a set bonus, and probably outweighs whatever raw stat increase you might get from just two offset pieces.

This is all napkin math, so take it with a grain of salt.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Mr. Robot is never wronggggg
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
I appreciate the info, but I'm frost and probably intend to stay frost. If I was fire, the 4-piece seems to be a no-brainer, but the frost seems a bit more questionable.

I'm also Frost, and feel the same way. Fire bonus seems to be more valuable, and have seen that echoed on other forum posts for this gear set.

Which places the set bonus at something like +2.5% total damage, assuming strictly single-target. Which is in the "normal-to-good" range for a set bonus, and probably outweighs whatever raw stat increase you might get from just two offset pieces.

Thanks, your math really helps understand what is happening here. So the real question becomes if the benefits from the higher iLvl gear is equal or more than 2.5% increase to (single-target) damage. I'll go try to figure that out.

To be continued.. (or not, as I am about to start Normal raiding and may wipe out the 502 Chromatic anyway soon)..
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]