Relic of Yulon vs Breath of the Hydra

90 Blood Elf Mage
As a frost mage (ilvl 498)....which trinket should I be using right now?
Right now...I'm sticking with Relic of Yulon because of its primary intellect stat
Does the Breath of the Hydra proc enough to make it worthwhile to replace Relic of Yulon?
http://www.wowhead.com/item=79331/relic-of-yulon
http://www.wowhead.com/item=96455/breath-of-the-hydra
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Most certainly yes.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
Breath of Hydra is an RPPM trinket, so the more Haste you have, the more often it ought to proc. As Frost, you usually want Haste on everything you got (which Breath of the Hydra so conveniently has). So the better you gear gets, the more often it'll proc, so the more often you'll have its awesome intellect proc (which outweighs the proc+primary stat on the Yu'lon trinket).

So yes, replacing Relic of Yulon with Breath of the Hydra should see an increase in DPS.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Since no one else has pointed this out, Breath of the Hydra relies on ticks from a DoT.
The only DoT effect that mages have, is our bombs.

Currently, you are running Frost Bomb, which does not tick at all (it simply explodes at the end). To get any use out of BotH you would want to switch to either Living Bomb (great for single target) or Nether Tempest (multi-dotters heaven).

Mages who use a lot of multi-dotting are getting great results with this trinket. I for one hate multi-dotting and would never use this trinket.

While BotH is a good trinket, I think we're much much better off using Cha-Ye's and Wushoolay's.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Since no one else has pointed this out, Breath of the Hydra relies on ticks from a DoT.
The only DoT effect that mages have, is our bombs.

Currently, you are running Frost Bomb, which does not tick at all (it simply explodes at the end). To get any use out of BotH you would want to switch to either Living Bomb (great for single target) or Nether Tempest (multi-dotters heaven).

Mages who use a lot of multi-dotting are getting great results with this trinket. I for one hate multi-dotting and would never use this trinket.

While BotH is a good trinket, I think we're much much better off using Cha-Ye's and Wushoolay's.

^This x 99999999
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage

Sorry you're wrong.

BotH+woosh are BIS for frost. just because you're too lazy to multi dot, or dot at all (LB is the highest dmg single target, NT is great for fights like council and horridon) doesn't mean it's bad, at all, for the spec.

OP: use it, it's an amazing trinket, don't be lazy.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
06/14/2013 08:17 AMPosted by Xiun

Sorry you're wrong.

BotH+woosh are BIS for frost. just because you're too lazy to multi dot, or dot at all (LB is the highest dmg single target, NT is great for fights like council and horridon) doesn't mean it's bad, at all, for the spec.

OP: use it, it's an amazing trinket, don't be lazy.

Xiun speaks the truth. I haven't been fortunate enough to get Woosh yet, but I use Cha-Ye's and BotH (reforged into Crit) as fire on multi add fights w/ NetherT and get decent results.

Besides, Multi dotting is a nice distraction from my usual string of 7-10 fireballs with no crits. It at least takes your mind off how ridiculously bad fire is at low gear levels. :)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
With the recent bomb changes you probably will be happier with Living Bomb as it is the best for single target and is no slouch on 2-3 targets either. Kinda the go-to average bomb for PvE raiding. Use the following macro to either apply Living Bomb to your current target or the target your mouse is hovering over. Even if you manage to apply the Living bomb to your current target and one other it is worthwhile as you get used to multi dotting. But you don't need to stress too much about it.

#showtooltip
/use [@mouseover,harm,nodead][]Mage Bomb

So like they say above Breath of the Hydra.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Thanks for your advice guys...I will drop the Relic of Yulon trinket and use the Breath of the Hydra instead, but I will reforge it from crit > haste.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Sorry you're wrong.BotH+woosh are BIS for frost. just because you're too lazy to multi dot, or dot at all (LB is the highest dmg single target, NT is great for fights like council and horridon) doesn't mean it's bad, at all, for the spec.OP: use it, it's an amazing trinket, don't be lazy.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]