Delayed PvP Pet Battles

90 Human Paladin
I am sure there are many mentions of this, but it is worth being the squeeky wheel on this until something is done.

#1 Blizzard needs to do something to severely punish the players that are using the entire timer because they know their only chance is for you to get bored and quit. Even worse are the people who do this just to be jerks and enjoy the idea of frustrating anonymous people on the web. I don't know what Blizz should do, but they need to do something strong to deter this behavioer.

#2 What you can do in the mean time:

When you come accross someone using delay as a tactic, just throw it right back at them. This is the hard counter to these idiots. On several occassions, when I have done this, they have actually quit quickly after realizing that their plan failed. I suspect that if these idiots came accross this often enough, they would try to find some other corner of internet anonymity to abuse.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
/signed

I've yet to come across one of these people, but it's not hard to see how amazingly obnoxious this would be.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Hunter
If I need the entire time to decide what to do then I will take the entire time to decide what to do!

Why do you always show up in these threads and say this when you know full well that is not what people are talking about?

<.<
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
If I need the entire time to decide what to do then I will take the entire time to decide what to do!

Yeah, no (pet battle) child left behind.

I definitely understand that you read a lot slower than everyone else, and if its the first turn, I understand taking the entire time to make sure their team won't murder you if you use Ion Cannon or something.

But to those that take an unnecessarily long time on like the 8th round or 9th round, ugh...timer should be cut in half around that mark. Its a damn pet battle, not a world-watched chess match or something.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

Me too. But, I hope you don't need the entire time to decide what to do on every single turn for an entire battle. It is easy to tell when you are playing someone who is taking their time being thoughtful as opposed to someone using a delay tactic.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
It's a game, pet battles take 5 minutes on an average pvp max level duel , if you don't have time for 5 minutes or want to complain about them doing it, ,then don't pvp battle. Some people in this world may not be as fast as you, but would you yell at an autistic person taking a long time in line? Most likely not, It's a game played for fun , you are ruining you own fun by not looking at what may be the bigger picture. Or maybe they are looking up your pets in a pet journal to see their moves because they may be new. Relax.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
If someone is afking just Alt-tab out and continue your turns every 30 seconds. I can check out the forum while they think they're being annoying to me (in hopes I'll forfeit).

I think there should be a timer reduction every round someone's timer goes out. No way does someone need that much time to decide
Reply Quote
I've come across people who use almost the entire timer for a round, and those that use the entire timer every round, I've even had people simply let the pass timer run out forfeiting their turn but its never bothered me.

Not everybody is swift in making a battle decision, each pet has its advantages and disadventages, and with hundreds of pets with thousands of combinations this can lead to a pretty intense match even if one team seems at a total disadvantage to another. Its all in how the moves are utilized, weighing risk against reward and determining when it'd be advisable to switch out a pet even though it costs you a turn. Fumble anywhere in the chain and it can cost you the match, so some treat pet battles like chess. Thats fine by me, I'm more a brute force kind a person who doesn't care about losing so much as having fun with it. After all besides the occational stone and the weekly, thats really the only reward (well besides the achieves which grant pets after a huge ammount of victories which for some reason they made tradiable thereby sort of robbing the incentive lol)
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I ran into one of these clowns for the first time yesterday. They kept waiting for the timer to run out. I kept healing my Crawdad... over & over & over. Nothing else, just heals for paybacks.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
This is actually something we're planning to address in Patch 5.4. Simply put, round timers in PvP Pet Battles will get progressively shorter for a player who takes more than 15 seconds to issue a command during their turn. This change is planned to take effect in a future PTR build, so please be sure to test it out and share your feedback with us!
Reply Quote
26 Goblin Warrior
This is actually something we're planning to address in Patch 5.4. Simply put, round timers in PvP Pet Battles will get progressively shorter for a player who takes more than 15 seconds to issue a command during their turn. This change is planned to take effect in a future PTR build, so please be sure to test it out and share your feedback with us!

Thank you sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
The timer is fine so long as there is a command given each turn.

Yes, sometimes it does take me a little bit of time to look up a pet; so what? It's not like we're dealing with chess- style move times.

Seriously, if this is what we're complaining about the game must be in pretty good shape.

The only thing that would merit whining is if a person just passes as the timer runs down, even then, big whoop.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter

Thank you so much. I hate when people just sit there idle because they got matched up against me again and refuse to play the game out. I refuse to hand them a win for cowardice but its very lame to see people resort to this sort of stuff.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
I'm glad this is being addressed. Progressively shorter times would work. I was thinking shorter timers if you let the clock run out three times in a row or something.

Luckily I haven't come across this often but I had a few the other night and it is frustrating for sure. Too bad for them I can be very stubborn and no way I'm letting anyone get a free win for acting like a jerk.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Hellelujah.

This is my *pet peeve. The only time I have done this is when a player deliberately puts 2 really low level pets with a high level one so they can waste my team and get xp on the low level pets. This is the one and only time Ill bother wasting someone elses time.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
It's a game, pet battles take 5 minutes on an average pvp max level duel , if you don't have time for 5 minutes or want to complain about them doing it, ,then don't pvp battle. Some people in this world may not be as fast as you, but would you yell at an autistic person taking a long time in line? Most likely not, It's a game played for fun , you are ruining you own fun by not looking at what may be the bigger picture. Or maybe they are looking up your pets in a pet journal to see their moves because they may be new. Relax.

They don't need to check the journal every move so your argument is not valid.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
I support this idea fully.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
They don't need to check the journal every move so your argument is not valid.

Your missing the bigger picture. Your letting others ruin your own joy in pet battling to assume that everyone is using max time to make your day miserable. Maybe their stuck in chat, checking forums or doing other sorts of multitasking, do I really need to list other reasons why people may take max time. Its seriously not that long , and as someone stated. if this is one of our biggest complaints, you should count your blessings
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]