what are virtual realms?

(Locked)

90 Human Warlock
All the moaning from people about crz.. and now they go and do this... I picked my realm in 2005, and I still love it. When/If this comes into effect, Kargath will basically stop existing in liu of this virtual realm.

Blizz may be trying to keep subs, but I can see this making more people unsub. I know i'm thinking about it. I like my server as it is.
90 Human Warlock
I am going to say something that I have been trying to deny for a long time:

Blizzard is shady.

We all know what this is. Just call it by what it is. And honestly... I can't believe they had the audacity to squeeze money out of people before they made this announcement.
93 Draenei Death Knight
Well it's kind of made my decision to make toons on all the different oceanic servers feel like a waste of time, if they are going to be merged together anyway. But then again, at least I will have the ENTIRE wow population at my feet, but here is the problem, people on my main oceanic server know a LOT about me, as I've been more open there, and the other oceanic servers I've sort of used to get away from all of that. Oh well, I will always have Moonguard.
90 Pandaren Mage
It would be awkward if you met another character with the same name.
90 Blood Elf Mage
If they combine all the PvE realms together, all the PvP realms together, and all the RP realms together then their about to lose ALOT more players as most players computers are not going to be able to handle that.
90 Troll Death Knight
I'd be surprised if Malfurion doesn't get linked somewhere; this realm is deader than a doornail.

My Alliance characters are on Fenris and it seems to have a higher population, but even it's nowhere near as busy as it once was; I'd love it if Malf and Fenris got linked so I could actually send my BoA stuff to my other characters, maybe get some of my friends who have Horde alts to come to my guild, too.
93 Draenei Death Knight
It would be awkward if you met another character with the same name.

My oceanic belfie is going to say hai to you soon.
93 Draenei Death Knight
WRA is becoming more and more connected to Moonguard.
Basically, they are taking groups of low pop realms and merging them together using CRZ. For all intents and purposes they will be one realm, just with more than one entry point so that they don't have to deal with the same name issue. Your current realm will just be your gate way to the virtual realm that adds a name modifier to your name in your tooltip/chatlog.

Interesting, I wonder if this would be a good opportunity to have a look at adding last names like some have asked? /shrug
90 Human Death Knight
06/12/2013 12:59 AMPosted by Xenobia
It's realm mergers by any other name, and we're yet to be told which realms it would be

Yep.

Virtual realms are just Realm mergers without saying "Realm Mergers" or "We are merging X with Y,B,C,D,J" etc.

Putting a different name to it for ... whatever reasons.

Kind of funny this comes out right after the 50% sales ends. Makes me feel like a idiot for transferring now. Seems a bit shady and greedy.

I agree.
Community Manager
can someone explain how this works, and which realms will be linked together etc? Will I be seeing people from WRA etc in Stormwind?

We're working on an article currently that will explain more about Virtual Realms in detail. We're hoping to have it out to you all soon and will do our best to answer as many questions as you have as possible.

Keep in mind, we've only released the PTR notes at this point and still have testing, refining, more testing, gathering constructive feedback, testing, and then... when we think it's actually ready, releasing this live. While we have an idea of when we think we are going to have the patch go live, it's no guarantee that everything will go as expected (*crosses her fingers*). This isn't something that's going to be out in a week or anything.
Edited by Nethaera on 6/12/2013 7:17 AM PDT
With the new cross realm thing there adding its going to kill the AH going to be soooooo much Undercutting going on items that coast 10k will be like 5000g or less

I fail to see why this is a bad thing.
99 Blood Elf Priest
06/12/2013 07:13 AMPosted by Nethaera
can someone explain how this works, and which realms will be linked together etc? Will I be seeing people from WRA etc in Stormwind?

We're working on an article currently that will explain more about Virtual Realms in detail. We're hoping to have it out to you all soon and will do our best to answer as many questions as you have as possible.

Keep in mind, we've only released the PTR notes at this point and still have testing, refining, more testing, gathering constructive feedback, testing, and then... when we think it's actually ready, releasing this live. While we have an idea of when we think we are going to have the patch go live, it's no guarantee that everything will go as expected (*crosses her fingers*). This isn't something that's going to be out in a week or anything.

Awesome that we're going to be getting more information asap. Do please put this in the list of things that get some clarification:

"Does this mean that there's a possibility that even though I have characters on two medium population realms, that due to VR they could be merged together with other medium population realms and then I'll start seeing queue times??

If I ever see a log in queue, I'll be canceling my sub. I won't pay to wait to play. There are reasons I'm not on high pop realms, and that's the biggest one."
i can't report the above post...net playing up a bit...but my thread is getting a bit out of hand. settle down petal!

You see an opinion you don't like, so you report it? Sure it was a bit harsh, but stop being a mini moderator. At least state why you dislike his post, sheesh.
11 Draenei Paladin
Considering my well established dislike of crz I wanted to repost what I said in another thread.

I guess this is ultimately where crz was headed all along and on paper at least I am thankful for it, because with multiple low pop realms being able to share a single AH and form guilds, crz finally makes sense.

I just leveled enchanting on a new character in the past few days on a dead realm and there was almost zero mats for sale on the AH, luckily i was able to use my crafters to create items for disenchanting. The ability to buy the mats would have made the process far less tedious

Now all we can do is wait and see, and hope for the best.
90 Human Death Knight
cheers dead server wont be dead anymore
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]