Alter Time and RPPM

100 Human Mage
How do you manage the cluster**** that is RPPM trinkets and Alter Time?

With ICD, players who put forth the effort were able to determine about when trinkets would proc allowing for timing of Alter Time and prevention of a mid AT trinket proc.

With RPPM, the procs are pretty damn random and pop up MID ALTER TIME quite often leading to a loss of your trinket procs when AT expires meaning you may only benefit from a couplke seconds of your trinket procs and miss out on the dynamic stacking gains you get with things like pot and IV that usually accompany AT.

No big deal right? You can just wait until they proc to burn AT. The problem with this is that you can go a very long time waiting for these random procs, delaying AT and possibly lose an additional set of CDs as a result.

It just really irks me how completely RNG RPPM makes one of our primary DPS CDs.

Getting Trinkets during AT means you either lose their procs (ok you get a couple seconds but that's it) or lose the extra 6 seconds of buffs that were up and other procs (BF, FoF) you had before AT went up when leading to a choice of losing trinket procs and dynamic gains provided by trinkets or clicking off AT rendering it useless and making it as though you had never even used it.

Just annoying that one of our DPS CDs can be rendered completely useless from !@#$ty RNG that isn't uncommon.

/endrant

So how do you guys deal with this? Under what specific circumstances do you cancel AT instead of letting it expire? Do you experience similar frustrations with the feeling of helplessness that RPPM and AT produce? Am I making a bigger deal out of this than it is or do I have this all wrong?
Edited by Nyctrisim on 6/12/2013 11:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
This has actually become significantly less of a problem for me since I got my legendary meta. Once that procs, my trinkets tend to proc immediately afterwards and I'm good to go.

During a late fight Time Warp burn I just don't worry about it. If I have trinket procs up when I Alter Time, great, if AT munches them, oh well. It isn't worth cancelling it to lose 30sec of your 2pc bonus.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Frost:
To be honest, I don't really bother. If I pop CDs during lust, I make sure I use AT when I can get the extra 6 seconds of lust and icy-veins (with BF/FoF procs obviously).
If I happen to get trinkets/meta proccing at the same time, it's a bonus.

Outside of lust, it can be a little annoying. Waiting for trinkets to proc can mean sometimes waiting 30 seconds after a burn to use AT, meaning it won't be up for the next burn.

Personally (which may be why I'm not a "top raiding mage") I use AT as close to it being off cooldown as I can, to get as much of the 2set as possible plus BF/FoF procs.

Trinkets that proc are an added bonus, and I generally prefer them to "use" trinkets. They do add an element of RNG, but the only time I pay attention to them is so I can prioritise casts depending on stacks (eg refreshing bombs or using icelance/ffb at higher stacks).

As fire it's entirely different, since you want to use AT to get off as many instant pyros as you can. Waiting to use AT can lose you a lot of dps.
Edited by Tuckletuts on 6/12/2013 11:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
This happens to me every so often. It's kind of a gamble, either you let it run its full duration for the 6 seconds of bonus trinket uptime at the risk of another trinket proc'ing, or you quickly unload your procs, and then end alter time to avoid losing trinket procs.

Ultimately, as frost those trinkets are proc'ing so often that it's really not a big deal if you miss out on one or two procs during an alter time. So long as you're extending the duration of at least a couple of other effects, the benefit will probably outweigh the occasional lost trinket proc during AT.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
This happens to me every so often. It's kind of a gamble, either you let it run its full duration for the 6 seconds of bonus trinket uptime at the risk of another trinket proc'ing, or you quickly unload your procs, and then end alter time to avoid losing trinket procs.

Ultimately, as frost those trinkets are proc'ing so often that it's really not a big deal if you miss out on one or two procs during an alter time. So long as you're extending the duration of at least a couple of other effects, the benefit will probably outweigh the occasional lost trinket proc during AT.

Gotchya
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
Just annoying that one of our DPS CDs can be rendered completely useless from !@#$ty RNG that isn't uncommon.

That is literally the problem with Fire to a T.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
It just really irks me how completely RNG RPPM makes one of our primary DPS CDs.

It probably hits mages worse than other classes, but I dislike RPPM just as a whole. Every class wants to line up cooldowns with procs and they can't do that any more. It feels like blizz is doing everything they can to suck the skill out of dps.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
06/15/2013 04:48 AMPosted by Kolzi

It probably hits mages worse than other classes, but I dislike RPPM just as a whole. Every class wants to line up cooldowns with procs and they can't do that any more. It feels like blizz is doing everything they can to suck the skill out of dps.

Agreed
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
Had an idea for a fix. Alter Time doesn't go on CD unless it actually resets you. This would mean that right clicking it off doesn't proc the CD.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]