Spellsteal stupid

90 Undead Mage
So much mana. What was the reasoning behind this change lol...
Reply Quote
1 Human Mage
Dispels were considered too powerful in PvP. Most dispels got a CD.

They didn't want to give SS a cooldown (rightly so) since it is a pretty cool spell. So instead, in order to throttle its use, they made it cost a lot of mana.

Pre mana nerf, mages were too good at stripping opponents of buffs.

IIRC, the design goals is to make dispelling (and through extension, spellstealing) a 'tactical choice' and not a 'spam as fast as you can'.

It works.
Edited by Zomgdps on 6/13/2013 10:15 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
This is another example of PvP killing the PvE usage of a cool mage spell.
Reply Quote
89 Blood Elf Mage
I won't be using it at all for PvP. Cost ridiculous amount of mana for a chance to steal a random buff. Make it have a CD, cost a lot less mana, and steal the most recent buff the target used. THEN it will be strategic.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Shaman
spell steal is still ridiculously strong in pvp..... mana doesnt mean anythiing to a mage.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Mage
It does if you play arcane.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
spell steal is still ridiculously strong in pvp..... mana doesnt mean anythiing to a mage.

It runs you oom in only a few casts and it does take a bit of time to recover it. You can cast it maybe like 3 times and you're done.

Anyways, OP, it's so mages can't spam cast it in pvp so they wern't just keeping a target clean all the time.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Shaman
It runs you oom in only a few casts and it does take a bit of time to recover it. You can cast it maybe like 3 times and you're done.

but with incanter's you recover quick enough. and theres always mana gems that no one actually ever uses... but could...
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
It's quite amusing how many mages still insist on spamming spellsteal on me. They end up oom and dead while I'm still at full health, albeit short on a few buffs.
There are moments when it's useful, such as when you're locked out of frost school or they are sitting in a polymorph but I don't use it much. If they have only a few buffs and it's something quite beneficial like twilight ward or hand of freedom then why not.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage

The mana cost increase was only for fire and frost iirc.

Or it had a very tiny increase compared to them.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage

As Arc you can spam this more then Fire or Frost.. and still have plenty of mana left over.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Make a macro that puts your mana gem and spellsteall on the same hotkey (i suggest using the loose mana glyph while doing this.)
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
My issue with the current Spellsteal is that it doesn't (to my knowledge) have a priority system governing which buffs it steals first. Normally, I'll be fighting a priest or a druid with the goal of stripping away their HoT or, in the case of priests, their bubble. However, I always seem to end up stealing all of their class buffs, while the truly crucial magic effects remain glued to the original caster. In short, I wouldn't mind the horrendous mana cost if I knew for sure that it would be a solid investment; in other words, that it would steal a HoT or a PW:S before wasting my time with petty class buffs.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
You see me pop my healy you spell stealy, if ur frost it has no cost cuz you're never at a loss for mana. rhyme any time
Edited by Anusexecute on 6/18/2013 10:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote
83 Troll Druid
they changed it to balance it. maybe dont spam it and see what happens LOL XD SO BRAVE (90s kids)
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
You see me pop my healy you spell stealy, if ur frost it has no cost cuz you're never at a loss for mana. rhyme any time

I'm so angry and so happy after reading this.
Reply Quote
6 Human Warrior

Whats the name of your healy?
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Its great. I never hover below 97-98% mana in PvP.

And then i Spam spellsteal to debuff a target if hes HoTTed to hell and back.

I dont care about gaining the buffs, i care about them healing.

And if i spam spellsteal i go OOM in 5 seconds...

Now with 5.4 mana gems. i might actually start using them :)

If there was a glyph to dispel an additional spell on spellsteal id take it straight away. I just hate fighting against god mode healing.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
My issue with the current Spellsteal is that it doesn't (to my knowledge) have a priority system governing which buffs it steals first. Normally, I'll be fighting a priest or a druid with the goal of stripping away their HoT or, in the case of priests, their bubble. However, I always seem to end up stealing all of their class buffs, while the truly crucial magic effects remain glued to the original caster. In short, I wouldn't mind the horrendous mana cost if I knew for sure that it would be a solid investment; in other words, that it would steal a HoT or a PW:S before wasting my time with petty class buffs.
Yeah, really. It's a lot of mana. 5% int is nice...but not when I'm trying to actually do something useful.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]