Misc Healer Concerns

90 Goblin Shaman
This thread is for every type/class of healer: be it LFR, normal, and heroic mode raiding. Please do not make this thread into a “Your opinion doesn’t matter because you only do XX mode.” Also, please no WoL links. This is a your own concerns thread.

I’m making this thread because no matter what mode of raiding you are doing and what kind of healer you are, there’s apt to be some kind of class mechanics issue you run into that is completely annoying or makes it feel like you should be playing XX class instead of YY class.

Please adhere to the following format:

1. Class
2. What mode of raiding do you do? 10 or 25? Tier 14 or 15?
3. If normal or heroic mode, what is your typical healer make up?
4. Where do you find you are weakest as far as healing goes? Include an encounter example.
5. Where do you find you are strongest? Include an encounter example.
6. What kind of quality of life improvements can be made?
7. Misc other stuff (do you want something back that got taken away? etc)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Shaman

2. I have done both 10m and 25m normal raiding. Currently doing 25m normals. Just got done with tier 14 normals, hopefully heading into tier 15 tonight.

3. In my 25’s, our typical make up is 2 resto shaman, a disc priest, a holy paladin, and a MW monk.

4. A. Spread healing.

My example would be Garalon. The fight had people scattered everywhere and the only time I felt really effective was if I used glyph of riptide and popped healing tide totem just about every time it was off cool down.

B. Movement based fights.

Once again, Garalon. Shaman just do not enough mobile type heals for this type of encounter.

C. Abosrb classes.

I really don’t have a particular encounter in mind with this. However, since an absorb is sucking up XX amount of damage when it goes out, my healing sometimes feels ineffective and it’s just feels like I’m better off just waiting to pop a cool down instead of wasting mana trying to snipe heal.

5. Staked encounters.

MV: Feng. The way my 25m would do it is having all the casters stand in the middle of the room at the beginning while both of us shaman would be throwing down healing rain/SLT/CH when needed.

6. Shaman are badly in need of at least one instant cast heal- even if it’s on a 5 second cool down. Glyph of riptide needs to be buffed to be worth taking. Our movement issues need to be addressed badly.

Totems- I know they are considered “spells” now because of pvp, but there was a certain encounter (first boss in HoF) that causes a stun that makes it impossible to throw down a totem when your other healer might have been MC’d.

Spread and movement healing also needs to be addressed. We have one totem that is excellent for spread healing- but there’s a catch: it’s on a 3 minute cool down and it’s in our talents. HTT really needs to become resto baseline and something else needs to be put into that particular tier of talents.

7. Yes. I want cleansing totem back. Priests are currently the only class with a constant mass dispel. Monks do have one but that is tacked onto a 3 minute cooldown. There needs to be a second class with a consistent mass dispel. Especially with the current dispel changes.
Edited by Jujubiju on 6/22/2013 1:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Wish I had time to post more in depth, but I'll just bring up a couple issues with disc rq.

1. Grace. This mechanic needs to be reworked. It is pretty much solely responsible for making single target direct healing a thing of the past for disc. We've said it before, but in it's current implementation atonement filler>direct single target filler in the majority of situations. Call me crazy but I'd actually really like to use heal/gheal rotationally!

2. Atonement. Atonement scaling with damage modifiers needs to die. I get that it is ok for some healers to be stronger on a given fight then others, but that can be accomplished in other, more balanced ways. In early progression disc was close to a required spot for horridon. and to this day we completely dominate that fight. Keep damage modifiers for the dps. We don't want them.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
Posting on my monk next:

1. Class
4. Where do you find you are weakest as far as healing goes? Include an encounter example.

1. MW monk.

2. Normal 10 mans (or I did until half my raid left my server). Was working on tier 14, but attempted Jin'rohk normal on this one.

3. Resto shaman (sometimes 2 of them or a priest).

4. Tank healing. Since this is newer character for me, it could just be me though. I don't feel MW style of healing is really adequate for tank healing. There's really no one encounter I can give an example of.

Mana management: to me it just feels like before a certain spirit level, you absolutely have to watch your mana at all times. I think glyph of mana tea should just be baseline.

5. Spread healing. unlike my shaman, I feel that a MW spread healing is in a good spot. On movement encounters, I have enough maneuvers to be able to handle the way things are. Especially on fights like Garalon.

While there is a negative about mana management, there is also a positive: I enjoy the fact that I can be sitting at 5% mana and still be able to heal.

6. Better tank healing mechanics. I want to be able to feel like I can tank heal when needed.

On fistweaving: I like the concept, but I think Jab costs too much mana to want to use.

7. New class- things haven't been stolen from me that I care about yet.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
1. Class - Mistweaver Monk

2. What mode of raiding do you do? 10 or 25? Tier 14 or 15? Heroic 25s T15

3. If normal or heroic mode, what is your typical healer make up? Usually 2 paladins, 2 disc, a shaman and me. (this is subject to change since we do have a resto druid on vacation, and a resto shaman and another disc that are rotated in)

4. Where do you find you are weakest as far as healing goes? Include an encounter example. Anything that our paladins and our disc priests can really stack up absorbs before a huge AoE happens. Horridon's Dire Call is a HUGE example. There's usually hardly anything to heal.

5. Where do you find you are strongest? Include an encounter example. Anything where AoE is always pulsing for a while. Rampage on Megeara is an example (if you time TFT right). And heroic Tortos just because of the crystal gimmick.

6. What kind of quality of life improvements can be made? I honestly have no problems what so ever with where we are at right now. I believe Blizzard has done very well.

7. Misc other stuff (do you want something back that got taken away? etc) I've enjoyed Monk healing like crazy since I made it my main at the beginning of the expansion. Keep up the good work.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Why exactly don't you want WoL links? Logs let you quantify your argument and look at general trends in other raids, not just the situation in yours.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
because the thread isn't about numbers. It's about class mechanics and feel, from the point of view of the poster.
Reply Quote
1. Priest
10 man heroic modes
paladin / druid / priest
I don't find priests have any true weaknesses because holy is there for raw HPS if needed, and disc is great at preventing damage. Thus, if disc cannot work for an encounter, holy will be able to.
Horridon - playing a disc priest allows the healer to ignore most mechanics while still maintaining adequate(if not superior hps) compared to other healers. It also contributes a lot of damage towards the boss which is vital when first learning the boss.
1. If target is selected, angelic feather should be cast upon that target. Clicking on the ground is ridiculous.
2. Power word:barrier should get the same treatment.
I wish priests were haste based for healing(as in, beneficial to stack haste). Currently, I envy classes that get the luxury of stacking haste for effective dps or healing because then the game feels different as you gear up. Right now, more gear is just bigger numbers, which while effective, doesn't really change what you do.
Atonement should also be more involved beyond a 3 button DPS rotation for maximum effectiveness. (Atonement should however retain it's current strength). It's kind of boring spamming smite / holy fire /penance non-stop.
Edited by Venomheart on 6/19/2013 3:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Haste is beneficial for Holy, Venom.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

1. Class Paladin
2. What mode of raiding do you do? 10 or 25? Tier 14 or 15? 10man heroic and normal.
3. If normal or heroic mode, what is your typical healer make up? Paladin, Priest, Druid
4. Where do you find you are weakest as far as healing goes? Include an encounter example. Really weak on fights that have heavy AoE dmg and the inability to stack. Like Twin Consorts. I hate you !@#$%es.
5. Where do you find you are strongest? Include an encounter example. Stacked, aoe/single target consistent dmg. Meg and Ji-kun are my lovie encounters.
6. What kind of quality of life improvements can be made? Well now that you put me on the spot like that- I HAVE NO IDEA- :( thx
7. Misc other stuff (do you want something back that got taken away? etc) Two Letters- DI
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
Why exactly don't you want WoL links? Logs let you quantify your argument and look at general trends in other raids, not just the situation in yours.

See below.

because the thread isn't about numbers. It's about class mechanics and feel, from the point of view of the poster.

This has nothing to do with "What's your HPS" this is more of a "How does your class feel to you in the content you run and do think there should be changes/tweaks to improve your life" type thing.
Edited by Jujubiju on 6/19/2013 4:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
1. Class

1: Druid!!
2: 10 both mop teirs
3: We started off with disc/druid/shaman but now we're paladin(OP)/Disc/druid
4: Absorbs kick !@#, I dont' have any! An example of that is Jin rokh or spirit kings
5: A constant aoe damage fight like garalon or primordius
6: Well the mushroom one, and they've made that! Thaaaank god :)
7: Hmmm, I havnt' been playing WoW all the long so I don't really have much to miss. I always did like replenishment but I kind of prefer having to be selective about my spells with the lower regen.

And das me!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
1. Priest

2. 10m ToT, occasionally t14 raids

3. Me, Hpal, and Rdruid

4. I can't particularly think of any encounter where I have a weakness.

5. Fights with damage modifiers and fights with predictable damage for SS-ing. Aka: Horridon and Tortos. Spirit Shelling the hell out of stomps is fun and smiting my way to victory is just great.

6. I have no complaints. I do wish Spirit Shell still scaled with mastery, but I think that would be pushing it.

7. I wish the Divine Aegis application would come back to PoH.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
1. Class

1. Priest (Holy)
2. 25 T 15
3. normals with a few pulls on a heroic but nothing serious
4. Weakest on encounters that are very long and have light spot damage. Lei Shen is my best example. Not great at Ji'kun either*
5. Strongest at moderate sustained damage with a short duration. Jin'Rohk, Iron Qon, Megaera.
6. I hate the long cd on chakra. Hate. HATE.
7. The only thing that bothers me is how weak FDCL is. I miss it being baseline and even when I do 10 man and single target heal the proc chance make it a crappy talent.
And like every other healer I hate the 8 second dispel cd.

* Just now teased this out but I am not super sure what to do here. heal is to small and slow, flash is to expensive and renew is like killing a gnat with a stick of dynamite.
Edited by Winnifred on 6/20/2013 3:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote

1. Class

1. R-sham
2. 10 man T14/15, T15 LFR
3. 10-man myself, Holy priest, r-druid.
4. Anything with mobility and burst, like Tsulong.
5. Anything with widespread raid damage e.x Lei Shen
6. I'm very happy with the class, I'd like a totem overwrite protection cause sometimes I clip them by accident. Wish I had more mobile options other than totems, Riptide, and spiritwalker (CD).
7. I've just started playing this class and very much enjoy the recent changes (removal of buff totems mostly).
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk

1. Class

1.Mistweaver Monk
2. 10 man T15, T15 LFR
3. 10-man myself, r-druid. r shaman (mostly, sometimes a disc instead of one of them)
4. Keeping tanks up that are getting pounded-doable but takes a lot more work
5. Anything with widespread consistent raid damage-Tortos, Tsulong (night), Garalon
6. I'm pretty happy with the class, life cocoon could be better as could the utility aspect but I have no complaints about the healing abilities
7. new class so nothing got taken away, it would be nice to have some good glyphs to choose from instead of a pile of meh to are you effing kidding me?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
1. Class

Resto Shaman

2. What mode of raiding do you do?

Cleared 16/16 T14 with H Stone Guards (I healed most of MSV & HoF on my Mistweaver, and switched to my shaman for the end of MSV/HOF and all of TES, as well as our H Stone guards kill)... now 1/13H T15 on this shaman (Wrath/Cata was spent on my beloved Disc priest).

I also do LFR, of course. Unlike many people I know, I... enjoy LFR. I regard LFR as a place I can "practice" fights as a healer, to a certain extent (... monitoring timers to use my abilities properly even if the upcoming mechanic would cause any of the devastation of even normal-mode) and I do not hesitate to run them all, including previous tiers, multiple times if it would benefit friends and guildies.

Strict guild 10man. *ALWAYS* 3 heal (though I wish we'd push to 2-heal) with a Disc priest and a holy priest.

I don't have any problems with the T14 fights I cleared as progression on my shaman (most of MSV & HoF was cleared on my Mistweaver), but the worst thing I've encountered so far was pre-nerf 10N Tortos (... Whirl Turtle movement speed and Health has been reduced, no?)

I'm going to part from my shaman brethren and say that it's *movement-heavy* fights which screw us more than spread fights (though I absolutely defer to early progression shamans). I can take the hit and glyph Riptide for spread fights, and run Glyph of Chaining, and single-target heal, and yell at raiders to dip their toes into the blue circle when they can... but if *I* have to move throughout the fight? Yeah.

... yay, I can Lightning Bolt on the move without having to waste a glyph on it now... that's... dps, right?

I can tell you that 90% reduction of the initial heal or 75% reduction of the initial heal... Glyph of Riptide does *not* answer the problems a heavy-movement fight poses, any more than 20sec every 2 min does for glyphed Spiritwalker's Grace. I'm *screwed* on a heavy movement fight, when it's hit-and-miss, touch-and-go whether I can get a single cast-time heal off when it's needed. Additionally, beyond spread-heal fights... on heavy movement fights there's no *telling* where players will be moving in relation to one another, for hopeful effectiveness of Chain Heal.

... I will grudgingly admit that additional surface area of HR *will* help a bit on some movement-heavy fights (presuming the entire raid doesn't have to move to a different *area* of the room).

Megaera. Fights with heavy healing required during stacked phases.

For the love of the god, please make HTT baseline for Resto and give us a different talent choice. Or if you *must* (and I know some extremely successful resto shamans say this is not the way to go) "nerf" HTT and make the other talents in that tier competitive, and buff Ascendance to be competitive. Additionally, SLT is close to *garbage* when it cannot be used for healing-intensive stack phases (... note that healing-intensive stack phases are *not* compelling gameplay for anyone). MTT needs to be re-worked so that stacking Spirit and sacrificing your own throughput is not a viable strategy for raid-healing.

Nope; I'm too new to the class, end-game, to know about the value of things shamans used to have. Though I *will* complain that I have not even *seen* a resto shield yet (if you're interested, Blizz, you can check my armory to see how many LFR & normal-mode Tortos & Consrot kills I have; I'll admit to have not been using coins on either difficulty for some time, since there's more important gear on the horizon...)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
1. Class- Paladin

2. What mode of raiding do you do? 10 man Normal tier 15

3. If normal or heroic mode, what is your typical healer make up? Holy Paladin, Disc Priest, Resto Shaman

4. Where do you find you are weakest as far as healing goes? Heavy movement or raid unable to stack. Horridon, Tortos and to a smaller degree Durumu.

5. Where do you find you are strongest? Include an encounter example. Med/High sustained damage on raids with the ability to stack up. Jin'Rokh/Megaera

6. What kind of quality of life improvements can be made? EITHER make our single target heals heal for more or give them a faster cast time (with reduced reliance on infusion of light)

Divine Intervention, to this day I still don't get why it was removed.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
1. Class

1. Shaman
2. LFR, both tiers
3. n/a
4. Mobility and spread fights (Garalon)
5. Stacked and immobile fights (Feng)
6. Better spread healing options
7. Make HTT baseline. Adjust MTT so that I don't have to sacrifice too much of my own throughput due to Spirit stacking.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]