Do you hate your offspec?

90 Tauren Monk
Hey heals :> how ya'll doin?

Iv been leveling this monk through dungeons the entire way and as I get closer to 90 I worry a little.
Y'see I LOVE monk healing. Its my favorite play style in the game right now. However I hate playing melee characters (for various reasons. Power to those of you who OWN that role. Respect! Really... I just can't do it) so im never brewmastering or windwalking my offspec remains unactivated and ungeared for.

I worry that im going to be forced to activate WW to do daily's just to get geared for LFR. Do any of you other healers have this problem? Have you found a way around it?
Reply Quote
36 Human Warlock
Mistweavers can put out decent damage. The monk healer in my guild got all the way to rant 8 in brawler's guild and I am pretty sure there was another Mistweaver on mmo-champion who posted videos of him getting to rank 10. I get they are geared but if you don't want to go WW, you could definitely do dailies as MW. You just got to do some research.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Yes I completely understand where you're coming from. For a long time I just wouldn't even TRY melee classes/specs.. and to this day I really don't play classes that are purely melee. However, I used to main paladin (primarily holy) and eventually I switched from dailying as holy to prot - and boy was it faster. In the end, I chose a class with a viable ranged dps off-spec so that I wouldn't have to daily in heals-spec and wouldn't be forced to play a melee off spec.. but in your situation.. I would recommend just giving WW a try.. While I am pretty sure you can daily in MW spec, it will likely be quiiite slow. Either that or try to find a friend to dailies with and just heal them while they pull tons of mobs, etc. Good luck!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Entirely possible to never swap out of MW as far as getting dailies done. Does very respectable damage, especially over relatively short time periods like normal mob kills.

Some of the most fun you'll likely ever have as a healer (MW spec in general). And this is from someone who never, ever used to heal.

Short answer yes you can stay in one spec and get most things done no problem.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Shaman
For me, Enhancement shaman = best offspec ever for a healer.

Ele on the other hand = boring.

I cannot play ele at all and have never had an issue leveling as enhance (even at the start of an expansion where they do not share gear sets and you are still leveling and worried you are not getting resto gear, its still not an issue). You can still build up a strong set of side healing gear in the process.
Edited by Gardiff on 6/16/2013 10:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I play feral as my offspec because I absolutely despise balance and it's a lot of fun. :)
Reply Quote
91 Night Elf Druid
I wish I could have cat offspec, but since the gear I get as a main doesn't switch over, it's kinda pointless :(
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
I hate playing anything but resto. The only thing I like about boomkin is that I can use my resto gear.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I wish I could have cat offspec, but since the gear I get as a main doesn't switch over, it's kinda pointless :(

Agility converts into intellect, it's good enough at least for dailies :p I plan to swap from boomkin offspec to feral again soon :D

As a MW you can do dailies in your healing spec. I'm almost always in my main spec, on my disc priest I do dailies as disc. On this toon I don't really do dailies but if I do I try to get people to join me and I can just stay heals and they can pull as much as they want :)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
Being a melee spec for doing dailies is not hard at all. A lot of the difficulty with melee is staying in range when a mob is following the tank and keeps moving away from you. When you're doing dailies, they all automatically stay in range of you, so .... no problems.

You could also offspec Brewmaster. They have some of the most amazing self-healing and fun rotations.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
I have a Brewmaster off-spec that I will sometimes use for dailies as a change of pace but I can do every daily I've found easily and fairly quickly as a MW. Sure the damage is lower than a dps spec will put out but it's not horrible and the self-healing means never having to slow down...

That said, brewmaster is a really fun spec to play on a casual basis; I'm not sure I'd want to raid tank much but that has more to do with current raids than playing the spec.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Shaman
Hey heals :> how ya'll doin?

Iv been leveling this monk through dungeons the entire way and as I get closer to 90 I worry a little.
Y'see I LOVE monk healing. Its my favorite play style in the game right now. However I hate playing melee characters (for various reasons. Power to those of you who OWN that role. Respect! Really... I just can't do it) so im never brewmastering or windwalking my offspec remains unactivated and ungeared for.

I worry that im going to be forced to activate WW to do daily's just to get geared for LFR. Do any of you other healers have this problem? Have you found a way around it?

The good news for you then- you won't.

On my monk I solo everything in MW spec: dailies, old raids etc.

Heck, there's a little spot out in the new Barrens areas for the 90 weekly- I can solo up to about 10-15 mobs at once and not die.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On this one- I don't like playing elemental. It's my dailies spec though.
Edited by Jujubiju on 6/16/2013 11:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Entirely possible to never swap out of MW as far as getting dailies done. Does very respectable damage, especially over relatively short time periods like normal mob kills.

I started out MoP levelling 1 - 90 on a Mistweaver. From lvl 14 up to Cata, I levelled exclusively via LFD (and the occasional SW fishing or cooking daily, lol); by the time I hit Cata, LFD queues started getting longer and I started questing while waiting for them.

Your dps *does* start to lose pace with mob health pools in Cata (ie, you aren't necessarily killing a solo mob terribly quickly) but you are virtually unkillable, and once you're comfy with accessing your utilities for group pulls (Fortifying Brew, Paralyze, Spear Hand Strike to interrupt casts you don't want to take to the face/pull casters into your AoE range, Life Cocoon, etc... ) you can start to pull *large* numbers of most mobs and kill them in virtually the same amount of time it'd take you to kill a couple.

This doesn't *always* make questing faster (... you can't always just gather up a group of mobs you need to AoE them down) but it's worth mentioning.

By the time I hit... 88? I think? it really *had* slowed down for me, and I grabbed a WW spec. what I *should* have done was grab a BM spec; I ended up enjoying BM much more than WW, and BM does an appreciable amount of dps even though it's not as much dps as a WW.... and I liked the survivability of the BM over having to survive as WW (any half-decent WW shouldn't have any trouble, but let's just say I wasn't even a half-decent WW ;D )

Like Juju says, above me... end-game with only a tiny bit of gear, your MW dps scales really well against mobs out in the world.
Edited by Ellarix on 6/16/2013 3:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
Holy is my offspec. ;.;
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
You know, I'm not sure what my main spec is anymore. I'm my raid's tank, so I'd expect it to be tanking, but when I'm not raiding (ie, doing dailies, LFR, dungeons, so on), I'm a mistweaver. So. I guess I don't have an off spec. >>

But my druid, ye gods. I despise playing as a boomkin so much. >>
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
I really don't like boomkin very much. It is tolerable for doing dailies, but I would not want to raid as one. Most of the time, I will do dailies where it doesn't matter if I can DPS anything or not (gathering things in flight form, lololol at the Northern Barrens), or I will do dailies where resto-kitty can get the job done. Heart of the Wild as resto makes things like Farmville trivial. Round up all the mobs, HotW, Hurricane, done.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Shaman
This doesn't *always* make questing faster (... you can't always just gather up a group of mobs you need to AoE them down) but it's worth mentioning.

Yeah- there's that one quest area in Townlong Steppes- the one toward the last few quests where you have to blow stuff up.

I hate that quest on every character. On my monk is was a little easier but that area can kill you. There's a couple of places like that.

I stayed MW all the way up to 90- didn't bother with a dps/tank spec. I picked up a dps spec recently. Should probably figure out how to play it.
Edited by Jujubiju on 6/16/2013 8:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
91 Night Elf Druid
Yeah boomkin just isn't that enjoyable. I've been saying that I'm gonna learn it for over half a year now, and my experience with it is mediocre at best.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

Just carry two sets of gear like Holy pallies. When you first start off it's painful, but later on, it's much less so. With loot specialization, it's nice to be able to select "off spec" when you know you won't get anything you can use (for main spec) off a boss.

The 16 slots taking up your main bag is the biggest inconvenience.

I run Prot as my off-spec to Holy. Although my holy is running 523, my prot gear is still running at 500~ which is respectable enough for what I use it for.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
06/16/2013 09:17 AMPosted by Shuei
I worry that im going to be forced to activate WW to do daily's just to get geared for LFR.

You don't have to do a single daily if you don't want to. Buy crafted gear, off hand or staff and press the queueu button. It's really simple now with how cheap crafted gear is.

Off spec on my monk is ww which i really don't like all that much to be honest. Most likely will switch it to BM and toss kegs around.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]