Was this my fault? Stockade wipeout.

90 Blood Elf Priest
I just experienced my first wipe in the Stormwind Stockade instance. Everything was going fine at first but then the tank disappeared into one of the side rooms and his health began to fall at a shockingly fast rate. I ran in after him and tried to shield/heal him but he died anyway. The mobs then turned on me and the remaining dps. The dps ended up dying too because I was too busy keeping myself alive. I died and quit the group out shame. It all happened so fast.

Was there anything I could have done to prevent this? I feel so guilty. We didn't even make it to the first boss which is sad.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
I see you've had your introduction to one of the core tenets of group gameplay!

It's always the healer's fault.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Please.

It's rarely ONLY the healer's fault. The tank probably could have done something better, and you probably could have too. Any rational person, though, wouldn't be mad at you. Wiping happens ALL the time.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
I just experienced my first wipe in the Stormwind Stockade instance. Everything was going fine at first but then the tank disappeared into one of the side rooms and his health began to fall at a shockingly fast rate. I ran in after him and tried to shield/heal him but he died anyway. The mobs then turned on me and the remaining dps. The dps ended up dying too because I was too busy keeping myself alive. I died and quit the group out shame. It all happened so fast.

Was there anything I could have done to prevent this? I feel so guilty. We didn't even make it to the first boss which is sad.

You cannot control a tank running out of your line of sight. You can't heal through walls.

It's probably not your fault.

Do you use the default party frames or do you have them converted to raid frames? Or use an addon?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
If someone runs out of line of sight, it's their fault if they die.

However, you will ALWAYS be blamed.

To this end, I suggest you become a megalomaniac and withhold heals from those you deem unworthy. Spit on their corpse, don't rez them, tell them that you don't waste mana to keep bads alive, and votekick them.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Literally lol'ed. I like this Zombie guy. Why do you play a rogue? Join the dark side.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Whoever pulled when the group wasn't ready for it is at fault for whatever happens as a result. If the puller is not going to ask if the group is ready, then they damn well better observe them well enough to know.

However, I don't think you should have quit after one wipe. Come back, try again, learn, get better. (Or in this case, try to help the person who made the mistake learn and get better.)

Death has very little consequence in WoW, you need to learn not to be too demoralized by it and be able to continue fighting. With a little more caution and attention on the part of the tank/puller I bet you could have completed that instance.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
yeah, don't quit. It will happen. People won't pay attention.

Welcome to the world of healing.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman

This instance has always been a pain due to the small rooms, the mobs everywhere, along with some large aggro radius of some mobs, especially those in the rooms.

I've been playing for years and I still get a wipe every once in a while in that one when leveling alts. And stunningly that place is easier then it used to be since agro isn't as wide on the mobs.

If a tanks runs around a corner it's not your fault. You can't heal through walls. By all means try to get to them but if they moan about it tell them that you forgot to bring your x-ray specs today and can't heal through walls. If they get really up in arms you can also ad, 'or through stupid'. Usually they'll understand. If the group gets nasty then you drop but don't ever be embarrassed over something that wasn't your fault.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
If someone runs out of line of sight, it's their fault if they die.

However, you will ALWAYS be blamed.

To this end, I suggest you become a megalomaniac and withhold heals from those you deem unworthy. Spit on their corpse, don't rez them, tell them that you don't waste mana to keep bads alive, and votekick them.

While I usually play nice, I miss the days where I could say to someone begging for a rez who had died to stupid "Oh, I forgot to train that. My bad"
Reply Quote
63 Night Elf Druid
Get a thick skin. There will be wipes. Some maybe your fault, some, hopefully most, will not. However you will get blamed often when it is not your fault.

With that said, Most of time we healers have to chase the tank to keep them up. But unless they are geared enough to pull and survive at least a few seconds without you it's really not your fault that he fell over.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
Wipes happen. To be honest, I think wipes and near wipes are a much better learning experience than a perfect group.

Learning to keep in range/sight of a tank often isn't easy and sometimes it's impossible. Do what you can, and always ask yourself if there was something that you could have done to prevent the wipe (even if it wasn't your fault). In this case, the question would be whether you could have been closer to the tank to make sure you were line of sight and whether there was a faster way to heal the tank when you did finally get line of sight.

Please note that what I'm saying doesn't actually mean it was your fault and you shouldn't feel bad. It's rather about what you can do to keep the group going (which is the best part about healing imo).
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
In that instance one of the MOBs puts a 20% damage taken debuff on the tank. If he runs into a room and does not know how to keep the mobs all in front of him he will die quickly.
The tank really needs to figure out that debuff. It is called burse if I remember correctly.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
In that instance one of the MOBs puts a 20% damage taken debuff on the tank. If he runs into a room and does not know how to keep the mobs all in front of him he will die quickly.
The tank really needs to figure out that debuff. It is called burse if I remember correctly.

Forgot about that.

LOSing your healer is just kind of dumb, tho. :(
Reply Quote
While I usually play nice, I miss the days where I could say to someone begging for a rez who had died to stupid "Oh, I forgot to train that. My bad"

I still tell them that. When they argue, I call them dumb and insist they run back. 99% of the time, they do.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
06/16/2013 09:57 PMPosted by Sankta
It's rarely ONLY the healer's fault.

In your instance I would of placed blame on myself and the tank seeing as how we both should of been paying attention to LOS.

Healing is an experience, if you wipe don't leave. If people bash you just come back more determined and prove them wrong. You will wipe, be angry, be looked down upon, blamed, but in the end the glory is worth it.

I have seen it on here but I cannot recall who said it but it was like "Healing is a lot like an intense game of wack-a-mole." Words I live by.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
A trick to learn as a healer (and now is the time to practice) is no matter what else is going on you always keep an eye on the position of the tank. That way if they take off you can drop what you are doing and run after them. If you have access to any speed boost talents it can be useful to take those so you can keep up because lots of tanks seem to be unaware that when they use their speedy talents (monk roll, I'm looking at you) they will get out of range for heals. Note that you don't have to do this (a good tank should be aware of where their healer is) but I find it causes less hassles if I charge along behind them.

It helps enormously once you know the dungeons because you then can take a good guess at where they are heading.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
06/17/2013 04:09 PMPosted by Songs

I still tell them that. When they argue, I call them dumb and insist they run back. 99% of the time, they do.

I am so trying that next time.

The best ones I get are begging for a brez. Dude, I'm a Shammy. I can rez myself because I'm important but you're just going to have to wait till combat is over to get back up. Or on my Priest when I can't do either and just say "What part of me being a Priest makes you think I can brez you or that you're important enough to brez over the tank, for example?"
Reply Quote
87 Draenei Monk
Don't worry about the wipe. It happened and it'll happen again but just keep moving on.

One thing I had to learn though was to stick with the tank. Don't try to be everywhere at once when the group splits up. People need to learn to stay together for the good of the group.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Thanks guys. I don't plan on giving up healing so easily. I'm actually somewhat glad it happened if that makes sense because it was a good wake up call. My last few runs have been fairly smooth and perhaps this is an opportunity to rethink my healing strategy. Maybe next time I'll try preemptively bubbling or renewing him before he enters any of the side rooms. Hopefully that way he won't die before I get him back in line of sight again.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]