Was this my fault? Stockade wipeout.

100 Pandaren Shaman
You'll be blamed for a lot thats out of your control. Dont take it Personally. If something is your fault, admit it, learn from it and move on. If it isnt your fault, then let them rage, laugh to yourself and move on.
Reply Quote
When a wipe occurs sadly is mostly either a tank or healer fault.

But I will not worry that much, since many tanks these days due to heirlooms and enchants think they are immortal and go like the Road Runner through a dungeon without looking if the healer is behind them, or if they can heal the 10+ elite mob damage tanks are taking.
Edited by Xydrak on 6/18/2013 10:25 AM PDT
Reply Quote
One thing I like to mention to new healers.......have a thick skin. You will get blamed for others mistakes despite what the log says.

Tanks LOVE to run up ahead and pull new groups of mobs while you are given the choice of following him, or staying back to heal the rest of the group he left cleaning up.

Players will stand in floor damage areas (fire, spikes...ect) and expect you to heal them through it. When they die, guess who gets the blame.

After a while, you will get a "ah whatever...lets just do this" attitude, and stuff like that wont bother you.

This shammy is my third healer, and I enjoy it more than any class.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Thanks guys. I don't plan on giving up healing so easily. I'm actually somewhat glad it happened if that makes sense because it was a good wake up call. My last few runs have been fairly smooth and perhaps this is an opportunity to rethink my healing strategy. Maybe next time I'll try preemptively bubbling or renewing him before he enters any of the side rooms. Hopefully that way he won't die before I get him back in line of sight again.

Good idea, actually. It helps when you level with a tank so you know what they're going to do, or at least are used to the instance so you know the things that could go wrong and can preempt them.

Don't give up, even though there will be plenty of tanks with little or no situational awareness. Do your best to stay with the tank, and you'll be fine 98% of the time. You are going to *LOVE* healing Hellfire Ramparts. So much running... so many nightmares about running...

As far as making folks run back, general courtesy is that if the healer has to run back, so do you... at least that's what I tell DPS or tanks begging for a rez when they did something stupid and got us all killed.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Level 30 Blood Elf First World Problems.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Even if things go right you'll likely still be called a bad, welcome to dungeons! You've been warned!
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
06/17/2013 05:56 PMPosted by Sarakatawen
A trick to learn as a healer (and now is the time to practice) is no matter what else is going on you always keep an eye on the position of the tank.

I usually set the tank as my focus target when I am healing in a 5-man. It keeps their status on my screen 100% of the time and also gives them a different minimap icon that can help find them if they run around corners or whatever.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Thanks guys. I don't plan on giving up healing so easily. I'm actually somewhat glad it happened if that makes sense because it was a good wake up call. My last few runs have been fairly smooth and perhaps this is an opportunity to rethink my healing strategy. Maybe next time I'll try preemptively bubbling or renewing him before he enters any of the side rooms. Hopefully that way he won't die before I get him back in line of sight again.

This is a good idea. Healers learn more from wipes than from anything else. Don't be ashamed or feel guilty when you or your group dies, but be vigilant. Ask yourself if you could have done something differently.

Preemptive bubbling is great on a disc priest, as they are based off shielding.

Reading your original post, it sounds like the tank was probably the one at fault.

There is a general mentality of "If a tank dies, it's the healer's fault. If the healer dies, it's the tank's fault."

But you start to learn at higher levels that isn't always the case. Sometimes a tank dies because they don't use cool downs properly, or because they have decided they can pull 10000 mobs when a healer has no mana, or because they think they are god's gift to tanks so they pull entire rooms intent on soloing them.

Actually, just this week our prot paladin decided that he wanted to pull the first mobs in Throne of Thunder with an afk healer (me) and an absent healer, because prot paladin healing is ridiculous. Luckily, I got back in time to keep everyone alive, but I did make fun of him for pulling without a healer.

Everyone here has said roughly the same thing: You need a thick skin to be a healer.

Along with that, you also need to be willing to defend yourself when it's not your fault. Some healers won't do that and will just be like "yeah, whatever" when a tank or dps blames them. I'm not that type of person.

I will 100% admit if I mess something up, without hesitation. But I will also 100% point out when it's someone else's fault and they can either own up or chicken out of admitting it.

Be honest with yourself and with others. Don't take on blame that doesn't belong to you, but own up to your mistakes.

And don't quit a group after one wipe. Give it 10-20 before you decide it's hopeless.

It gets really frustrating at higher levels when you see people go "oh, one wipe, I'm out of here," no matter what it's for. Everyone has a learning curve, and it's important to allow for the differences in those. 10-20 wipes is enough for even the steepest (more than that, and they just don't have one) learning curves.

This got a little long, but healers are rare enough that I don't want to see someone discouraged out of doing it because of the bad attitude of tanks/dps that we have to contend with on a daily basis. Us healers are the foundation of our raids/dungeons, because without us (after a certain level), groups can't do much of anything.

Yeah, that's right. We get blamed for everything...but we also have the power of life and death. I feel like stating that cheesy line about responsibility and power, but this is already too long!
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
While I usually play nice, I miss the days where I could say to someone begging for a rez who had died to stupid "Oh, I forgot to train that. My bad"

Yeah we can not use that line too often anymore, I tend to use the following line when groups complain or start to berate me on any of my healer toons. Especially when I get them saying things like "are you stupid (L2Heal nub, you are just bad...etc), why did you let me die... etc", and then beg for a rez.

I am sorry I am too stupid/bad etc. to know how to rez you.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Priest
Peoples advice has been good, just going to point out something else that can be quirky and that is stairs. Follow your tank closely when it comes to stairs.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Peoples advice has been good, just going to point out something else that can be quirky and that is stairs. Follow your tank closely when it comes to stairs.

QFT. Ugh...stairs...
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
Learning to anticipate the next stupid thing the tank will do to try to prove how pro he is, like running to pull the next set of mobs, out of LOS, just before your cast finishes, while at low health, as the current group hits him in the back the whole way, is a major part of what being an "experienced" healer means.

And, yes, stairs are evil, and just about every tank thinks that a meter or two past the top is the absolute best place in the world to be.
Edited by Rheeah on 6/30/2013 4:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
tell them that you don't waste mana to keep bads alive

I actually say this quite often lol
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]