This Game Does Nothing To Teach Bad Players..

90 Troll Rogue
This game does nothing to teach bad and new players how to become good at the game. You can level a toon from 1 to 90, become full epic and beat the last raid boss all without doing anything to try and learn to be a good player. There is no motivation to learn rotations, no motivations to learn boss mechanics, no motivation to learn how to reforge and gem/enchant properly, and no motivation to learn what really makes your class good. And why should you when you get to experience all the content and get all the cool looking epics anyway? This game has catered to bad players for too long! It is time to change this!

Time and time again the waves of new players come in and they cry and complain that the game is too hard and that they don't understand this mechanic and they can't comprehend this or that game feature (cause google is so hard to use guys, right?). And instead of blizzard implementing ways to teach these incompetent people how to play their game, they just water everything down. Oh that raid to hard for you? Let's nerf their damage and HP by 50%. People complaining that the classes are unbalanced? Well lets turn them all into the same homogenized versions of each other. Oh green fire quest too challenging even though it was meant for players that excel in their abilities as a warlock? Ahhh what the heck! We will nerf that too!

So anyways.. What needs to be done about this? When did Blizzard decide that making the game easier was a better idea then teaching players how to play their game? And how can we get them to stop dumbing the game down for people who just do not even try to be good at the game?

I am sure most of you have heard of Egoraptor or watched some of his cartoons. But he also has a series called Sequelitis in which he talks about the aspects of video games and their sequels. He says some extremely smart and relevant things about this subject. You should check out this video if you haven't already (Vewer discretion is advised).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FpigqfcvlM

Every game developer (ESPECIALLY BLIZZARDS!) should watch this short little video and take notes. WoW is not the only game that has catered to the idiots of our society. Many games, especially more recent games have fallen into this rut of playing the game out for you. Every little item is highlighted for you, arrows point you everywhere you have to go, plot lines are spelled out for you in black and white, all of the thinking is done for you and all you have to do is press the buttons it tells you to, near zero effort. In WoW you can literally level a character to 15 and then use the LFG/LFR system to get to level 90, full epic, and clear all the boss content without doing ANY damage. Granted you will have to go unnoticed by other players in your LFG/LFR groups, but most of the time you have an impatient tank who just doesn't care cause they are doing 60-70% of the damage anyway, or people just don't care to wait to kick you. Or you are just surrounded by people as oblivious as you? And the cycle continues and the people learn NOTHING!

Blizzard needs to take the hint and start implementing quests or reward systems that teach players how to do their rotations and learn boss mechanics. There needs to be a motivation to be good! Oh you did over 100k damage in LFR? You get a little extra gold or a slightly better chance at loot! Oh you got though that boss fight without getting hit by major boss mechanics that would one shot you in regular or heroic mode? Okay well you have proved yourself and get a pet for avoiding fire! You could even have some sort NPC that offers you training and shows you how to rotate your moves and when to pop your cool downs. Something, anything, just stop making the game easier.

No more making the game easier because people are to lazy to forge themselves into good players. No more hand out epics! No more easy 100% solo-able game! No more boring straight forward content that any idiot can do without even using half their brain.

Bring back the challenge! Bring back the excitement and the satisfaction of completing something that requires skill and coordination instead of pressing a button and dying but getting loot and achievements anyway. If people suck, then teach them how to be good instead of building the game around morons with no motivation.

TL;DR- Stop making the game easier for bad players and teach them how to play instead!

EDIT:
I am also aware that they are releasing the Prooving Grounds which allows players to test their mettle and show off their skill their class has to offer. But the problem with this is that it isn't mandatory. Who is to say that half the mediocre players will even use or know about this system? How can you be sure people will learn their rotations and what gems and enchants to use? And how will it stop them from leeching off good players? I think that the Prooving Grounds should work like you are being "keyed". If you are able to obtain a certain rank in the PG (Prooving Grounds) then harder content will be unlocked. As you work your way up you unlock LFR then Normal raids and then Heroics. Also it would work as a litmus test for players so good players can more easily tell the players with skill from the players without.
Edited by Shuku on 6/19/2013 11:12 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
You'd better not browbeat the forums with that link, or it will become the new "That Video" much quicker than you'd like.

As for discussion...

Dat wall of text.
Edited by Traleda on 6/18/2013 2:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
TL;DR- Stop making the game easier for bad players and teach them how to play instead!

Who do you think demanded the changes? These were not forced upon us by Blizz, it was the players demanding an easier path to max lvl.
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Night Elf Priest
Well... I do laud you for posting an explanation of why you linked the video. That's a lot more than most.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
You seem to be working on some mistaken assumptions as to the purpose of this game.

WoW does not exist to make its subscribers better at playing WoW.

WoW is not designed to be a teaching tool, or an avenue of personal improvement. It is not intended for use as a source of self esteem.

The purpose of WoW is to engage and entertain as many players as possible in exchange for as much money as it can make from doing so. Every other purpose the game may serve is so secondary to those primary goals that it doesn't even bear consideration if it interferes with them. That includes improving the ability of its players to engage in the operations necessary to succeed at the tasks that comprise its gameplay.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I recently watched a video by Penny Arcade on this subject matter, I found it quite interesting:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/easy-games
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior

WoW is not designed to be a teaching tool, or an avenue of personal improvement. It is not intended for use as a source of self esteem.

...Most games are supposed to give you challenges you overcome to feel good about beating them. If you don't feel good playing games why are you playing them?

I don't get this argument.

Also; A game based entirely off grouping with other players should indeed be teaching it's players how to play properly. MMO's have a different air and stigma to them than single player games; I know it sounds elitist as hell but the past week I've had to teach more players how to play their class at max level in challenge modes than I have in the year and I'm frankly tired of it when the solution can lie in Blizzard.

A miniature tutorial in game on key-binding and class quests that teach you basics is more than enough.
Anything more comes down to if the player wants to up their game or not.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
So...you got two things here.

-You say that Blizzard is blind for those who find the game hard to understand (or to play)
-You say that the game should be harder (challenging)

You know...there is already a "tutorial" thing in-game for new players. But we can't put arrows everywhere on the screen to tell you what to do. If you need info about stats, search by yourself. There are game guides on this website and others elsewhere on Google.

Also I agree with a challenging game but if you do so the subs will go down because most of content is max level. Blizzard said (somewhere...probably on mmo champ) that they were not going to make anything about leveling. End content is more important.

In the end, Ego is just a gamer, not a dev. He's just a random guy giving out ideas as well as Wowcrendor or any other "popular" gamer. Create your own ideas which you can defend and modify by yourself.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
06/18/2013 02:10 PMPosted by Shuku
Who do you think demanded the changes? These were not forced upon us by Blizz, it was the players demanding an easier path to max lvl.

I know this, that is because the player base is becoming increasingly lazy and complacent with free epics and easy content. What I am saying is that instead of blizzard bending over backwards for every nub who can't comprehend how to rotate or gem and enchant properly. Teach that bad player what to do instead of making people who enjoy the challenge suffer.

We don't even need to adjust the "challenge" of the game now.

With Flex coming up there'll be a difficulty level for everybody.

But not encouraging players to play better or teaching new players how to play is an issue.
When they do decide to step it up they have no idea what they're doing and tend to get shot down and discouraged.
Which is a playerbase problem but when so many people literally do not know what to do and are too lazy to look externally because it is just a game - Blizzard needs to help.

I honestly have no idea why we don't have class tutorials already.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I recently watched a video by Penny Arcade on this subject matter, I found it quite interesting:

I love Penny Arcade videos, this is a great example to what I am talking about.

Most of WoWs content has become straight forward lines and faceroll. No thinking involved just keep spamming your moves and you will win eventually.

Exactly. As I thought more on this subject I realized that much of WoWs difficulty stems from execution and only execution. Often there is a right way to play and if you stray from that, you lose. Kind of like Simon as they said in the video, there is a right color combination to press to win, and no other way to victory.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I see these threads more and more, usually referencing "that rogue went all the way to the last raid boss without doing a single attack"...

And I must ask... why do so many people care how OTHER people choose to play?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior

And I must ask... why do so many people care how OTHER people choose to play?

Because the way they play is going to affect me.

If this were a single player game I wouldn't care;
But when some guy comes in and AFK's through everything that's making the experience worse for everybody around them.

That's why people care.
Reply Quote
QQ1: Oh, Blizzard, all your players are baddies because the game doesn't force them through tutorials and make them know how to play.
QQ2: Oh, Blizzard, this game no longer has any sense of community or people interacting.

See the problem?

Also, I am intrigued by anyone learning the 'correct' way to play since simcraft changes based on individual gear and there is rarely consensus between the fan-based number crunchers (icy-veins, noxxic, ej, and the class forums rarely align perfectly).

It sounds like the devs are adding solo challenges to train healing/tanks.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior

Also, I am intrigued by anyone learning the 'correct' way to play since simcraft changes based on individual gear and there is rarely consensus between the fan-based number crunchers (icy-veins, noxxic, ej, and the class forums rarely align perfectly).

There is barely any correct way to play;
Just a skeleton.

It's that skeleton Blizzard needs to teach.

(Such as for Fury - Saving up all your abilities and what not to dump it into CS. Pretty sure an NPC could teach that.)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

Man, I really miss old Extra Credits before it became terrible, pretentious garbage.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]