Is it really difficult to raid as a WW?

90 Pandaren Monk
I am 100% sure that every single guild that refuses a WW has at least one other person in raid that is bad/not playing at 100%. Anyone, or many, not playing at 100% totally destroys any argument over class/spec breakdown of a raid.

Really getting tired of elitist wannabes... and people wonder why I refuse to raid...
Reply Quote
100 Orc Death Knight
Its really messed up a Similar Geared WW Monk should Outdps me (depending on the fight) however i am 10x more likely to find a raid spot then a WW monk (speaking as Frost).

It really isnt fair but people should have learned there lesson from Ret Paladins from the last 3 expacs so far.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Monk
As a WW monk, I'm doing fine DPS, keeping up with any other melee class. However, I've been informed (along with our Hunter) that our lack of utility means I will be sitting for nearly every fight next tier.

Here are some suggestions for Blizzard to give us some well-earned raid utility:
Xuen Statue - 3 minute cooldown, gives a fair amount of mastery or agi/int/str for 20ish seconds.
White Dragon Brew - 1.5 or 2 minute cooldown that very breifly buffs our Spinning Crane Kick to heal in its melee range instead of damaging (with healing on-par with VE/AG)
Make Zen Meditation not completely useless by allowing it to redirect a certain % of raid damage to us instead of "a few spells". It is currently only useful as a personal defensive cooldown and WE CAN'T DO ANYTHING WHILE USING IT.
/deepbreath

Any two of these would put us ON PAR with other melee. All three buffs, or buffs like them, and you would actually start seeing WW represented in high end raids like Balance, Shadow, and Elemental are right now.

PLEASE try to make some of these changes into 5.4. I want to see the next raid!
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
I'm having no problem at all, my 10 man raid group loves me and we're doing great
Reply Quote
95 Blood Elf Monk
I'm having no problem at all, my 10 man raid group loves me and we're doing great

well, you're a exception, congrats.

As a WW monk, I'm doing fine DPS, keeping up with any other melee class. However, I've been informed (along with our Hunter) that our lack of utility means I will be sitting for nearly every fight next tier.

this is totally unfair!
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Monk
You haven't actually killed any bosses which require raid cooldowns (except for IQ, yesterday, for the first time). You're the highest ilvl DPS in the guild and have heroic thunderforged weapons to boot.

The need for raid utility doesn't really present itself until some of the harder encounters in the tier, if you're fortunate enough to have a near-perfect raid-comp for the other 9 players. This thread mainly pertains to the needs of WW monks who would like to be in for progression on difficult bosses while they are still relevant.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk

My group is doing "great" too. But there are moments where, if you were a rogue with smokebomb, you could've made the difference by saving the raid from that 1% on HM Iron Qon or HM Megaera. Or provide the raid with a little extra damage boost to get through soft/hard enrage timer. That's a part of raid utilities we don't have.

There only thing we're good for is double soaking magic damage back to back (HM Emp, Lei Shen, etc), but that's also something other classes can do, and provide more raid utilities at the same time. Besides, that's personal outs, not raid utility.

Along with my post on previous page, we are fine in 25 man. But in 10 man, every spots count. If raid leader has an option to choose between feral, rogue, and monk dps of the same ilvl and same skill, monk will be on the bottom of the list because the others bring "extra something" to the raid. Same goes in RBG - we're annoying, we do decent damage, but we don't have DK grip, warrior's mass intimidating shout, smokebomb, heroism, etc.

Blizzard is trying very hard to make sure they don't repeat the DK GOD MODE as when they released WotLK. But the bottoms-up approach they are doing is very irritating. That's why you keep seeing WW Monk buffs almost every patches so far. As a reminder, not too long ago, we needed to keep 3xTiger Power stack up, we didn't have movement buff, we didn't have things like Nimble Brew or EWF or RoP, Chi Wave did crap damage and cost chi, we could stack only to 10 brew stacks (making brew management a nightmare), RSK added only 10% damage, our Mastery was not Bottled Fury, but the awful Combo Breaker %. Remember those times? AND ALL THESE CHANGES WERE WITHIN 3 PATCHES.

WW Monk is certainly an unfinished class/spec. Going through forums and zoning out most whiners, you will see that most of good monks are resoundingly complain about the lack of raid utilities. All we are waiting for is for someone to poke the class designer at Blizzard with a stick to wake him up.
Edited by Ses on 6/22/2013 2:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Monk
The spec is definitely improving, but at the moment there is no reason to every bring a WW monk over a rogue. And so we wait...
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
I believe it never hurts to give any player a try at something. My guild reached 11/12 progression with me on my monk, but they still want me to play my rogue instead, because a rogue has attack speed, and smoke bomb for 20% aoe reduction.
It's like all the survivability my monk has suddenly doesn't matter, because we're just average, and in 10 man, every spot matters.

What most groups in 10 man don't seem to get is that WW monks have TONS of utility if you play them right. I have had a few progression fights where a tank might drop due to one mechanic, we will take tortos for example, if a stun happens with 100% bats up and no cd for it....the tank may get below the threshold and die, whats a monk to do? FoF and leg sweep while they get the tank up.
And you would not believe the ammount of times that Zen Meditation while moving has been the key to survival for the whole team. Yes other classes have their ups on us, but at the same time, it's about HOW you bring your CDs...your DPS to the table.

I.E. its also nice to have a self dispell with 90% magic reduc. for heroics, like jin-rokh.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]