New to healing and new in general

90 Troll Druid
I started playing Wow around 3 weeks ago and it has been a serious learning curve, as I've never played any MMORPGs before. I started out doing DPS in battlegrounds and dungeons because...well...it's easier and less stressful :) But I'm very attracted to the healing role, so I started this character. When I got to level 10 and could actually do a battleground, I was super nervous...and while it didn't go horribly (I kept the fc healed and we didn't lose) it wasn't stellar either. When someone called me out for missing a heal, I told them it was my first time, and luckily they were understanding so there was no more after that.

However, I'm a little terrified now. It was fun and I definitely want to be a healer, but I feel bad going into a battleground and being the only healer, then having to tell them "sorry, I'm still just learning, you're all going to die." Is there some way to practice without letting down an entire team? I was thinking to try and find people who wouldn't mind going in knowing I'm learning (i.e. to give me a practice run) but I don't know if this is "done" in WoW. Do you just go in with a random group and grow a thick skin? Help...lol...

(Also, I do feel like dungeons might be a much more manageable way to learn, but if I can get in some practice before level 15 that would be nice...hence the battlegrounds)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Well, I'm the type who would never want to start out in random BGs, although I tell every new healer I run into that learning to heal in large scale BGs is a great way to prepare for raid healing.

My advice to you is to find someone who looks like they know what they're doing and stick to them like a burr. Make sure they stay alive, make sure you stay alive, and if you can toss out heals to other members of the BG, great. Otherwise, stick with that one person and focus on them.

In random BGs, people are basically responsible for their own health and should expect to die on a regular basis if they get into a pitched confrontation with the opposing side. If people complain to you because they didn't get a heal, chances are they were out of range or behind some object and they are expecting you to magically be able to get to them.

Do you have trouble telling who is out of range? Are you using the default raid frames? Those are pretty good, but I always recommend that new healers learn to use mods like VuhDo or Healbot, when possible, because they really do make things easier.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Ok, thank you...I did try and stick to one player at first, but then I felt bad and tried to heal everyone, which didn't work out too well haha.

Actually, embarrassingly, I didn't know to use the raid frames until another healer very kindly told me how to use them...so that would have helped a lot. I'm going to take a look at Healbot, since it sounds like a lot of healers use it.

I also think I shouldn't have started with warsong...I know Arathi basin better and it seems more controlled, since I can just stay at one base and help out. I'll try again and stick to one or two people and see how it goes :)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Healbot is pretty easy to configure, and makes seeing out of range people fairly easy. It also helps with dispelling.

I'm sure you did fine. Don't let people get to you when they throw fits. As a healer, you will quickly learn that your DPS are seriously trying to off themselves. Soon you, too, will share in the healer rage and begin to resent your DPS. >:|
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Haha ok, that makes me feel better, thank you!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Level 10-14 bgs are not the srsbsns people want to make them into sometimes. You're already miles ahead of the curve on a lot of levels not the least of which is a) understanding what an FC is why they're important and b) looking to improve starting at your current baby toon level.

The very best thing you can do it read EVERYTHING, even if it makes no sense to you, just to get the ideas floating around in your head so when you can apply it or it clicks, you're already ahead of it.

The very early 5m dungeon experiences are incredibly forgiving and considering how much gear reroll toons can have because of bind on account pieces that scale very very overpoweringly well, healers are almost not needed. Not that you shouldn't 'heal' but unless someone (everyone) in your group is acting foolishly, and they will, it probably won't be too hard to keep up.

A couple cool tricks for you: if you target a player (flag carrier, tank) and /focus you will get a focus frame AND if you right click your minimap you have the option to check 'focus target' which will give that person a special indicator on your miniimap so you can see them moving around a little more clearly.

I strongly recommend a healing add on, as Tiriel suggested. I use VuhDo (with Clique) but Healbot and Grid/Clique are also very popular. Go to http://www.curse.com and use their client for add ons. Most of the big ones have video tutorials on YouTube and plenty of user support in forums.

Healing is awesome, most of the time, but you do need a little bit of a thick skin and you also need to develop a feel for when a death is your fault and figure how to not have that happen next time and when someone died from their own stupidity which also happens a fair bit. Yes, we can save stupid a lot of the time, but sometimes we just can't and that's NOT your fault, no matter what the face-pulling, fire-standing player says. Learn to blow it off and move on.

Feel free to hop on Illidan and ask me any questions you might have. I'm pretty terrible at druid but if you just need some general healing advice I'm happy to help you out.

Good luck and have fun!
Reply Quote
76 Troll Druid
I've just started leveling this druid as a healer and even though I already know how to heal (have a lvl 90 Resto Shaman already), as many people have already said, low level dungeons are usually easy to heal through. I have personally found that often people die to mechanics rather than the fault of the healer (like the Pistol Barrage that Lord Godfrey uses in Shadowfang Keep can should be avoided by most of the party through tank position of the boss and where everyone else stands).

As for addons, an extra one I would recommend as a healer is to get a event timer addon like Deadly Boss Mods and the old expansion dungeon& raid packs. It will give you a heads up for when key abilities are going to occur that, as a healer, are useful to know for planning cooldown usage as well. Note that almost all of the pre level 60 dungeons (excluding Deadmines (Cata dungeon pack), Shadowfang Keep (Cata dungeon pack), and the two Scarlet Monastery instants (base addon)) don't have the timers for them with DBM. Then use whatever you prefer for unit frames and any other healing addons you may wish to use.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
@Lucydin - Thanks for all your advice, especially the focus target thing...that will come in handy. And I will definitely check out addons. Since the servers are down (lol) I've been reading - the icy veins resto druid guide (which was amazing, if a little over my head) and some other forum threads. I feel like I at least have more of an understanding of it now, even if, as you said, I don't get some of it yet...I feel less out of my depth. And after seeing so many stories of healers who got blamed for things that weren't their fault at all I feel a little better about trying again haha. Thanks, I might take you up on that :)

@Noriz - Wow that sounds really useful...especially I guess if you don't know the fight, which clearly I won't. My only issue is that I've had issues getting addons to work, and I tried downloading the client and it didn't work, but I'll get it sorted and definitely take a look at that one, thanks!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I forgot to tell you to go to theincbear.com for druid things. It may be even further over your head than the icyveins stuff but keep it bookmarked for later at least!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I level all of my toons (which are all healers) via LFD. Now of course by now, I know all the 5mans backwards and forwards from a healing perspective, and that makes it easy to tell whether a wipe was preventable or not, so I've probably lost some of my perspective on how "difficult" healing 5mans can be for a new healer - even the low level ones... but yeah, they're very forgiving.

The main thing that causes trouble in low-lvl 5mans is when the tank pulls lots and lots and lots of enemies. It's entirely possible to run 5mans that way if you know what you're doing, and unfortunately people who are counting on speed runs are sometimes of the opinion that if a new healer can't manage healing speed runs it means they're bad... this isn't the case, however, and you should try not to let anything those jerks say bother you. You're allowed to just be starting your experience as a healer.

Tiriel is right about BG healing though - it's "unscripted" - the challenges you face from the opposing team will be different every time you queue - and it will absolutely help your PvE healing. What she said about finding one player and sticking to them is the way to go. If they're any good, they'll recognize what a boon it is to have "acquired a pocket healer" and they'll do everything they can to keep you alive. Your job, in PvP... is to keep *yourself* alive ;)

You can't heal anyone if you're dead, and you're unlikely to get much healing from anyone other than yourself. PvP players with half a head on their shoulders will ignore your tank & dps teammates and come straight for *your* throat. in PvP... *you* essentially become the tank (well, at least, the thing the other team wants to kill the most) because if they leave you alive, you will keep your teammates alive.

So do whatever it takes to keep yourself up, find a "partner" in every BG, and have fun :)
Reply Quote
Hey Edethra, welcome to WoW. Healing can be a lot of fun in this game if you can develop a thick skin. Just don't get discouraged when you get blamed for a wipe when those pesky DPS just wont get out of the fire, or when a tank wants to play Rambo and runs off by himself to aggro a whole room.

Usually healing is a thankless job, but there are times when you will get recognition for your efforts. This Shammy is my third healer following a Priest and Mistweaver Monk. I have enjoyed them all. Healing is what I enjoy most, and Druid will be my next conquest.

Have fun out there.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
@Ellarix man I just have to remember this...my last bg of the day was terrible because not only did the dps scatter in all directions without a plan or communicating, they also blamed me for not being everywhere to heal everyone (I was the only healer) and did not help when I was being attacked...I died a few times trying to keep people alive and finally just kept myself alive while being mobbed lol. Anyway, thanks for your advice, I'll take it :)

@Gontar yes I'm starting to realize that...I'm enjoying it so much though, even when dps are making snarky comments. So I'll stick to it haha. For the record, not that I have any experience with the other classes, but druid is very enjoyable.
Reply Quote
Edethra

I have to say, reading your initial post had me checking what server you're on, to see if I could help you run through a few dungeons, and, well, while I actually think I have a toon on blackrock, it might be lower level than you , so not much help I'm afraid.

You do however give some hope back I'd say, WoW isn't just filled with stupid lol.

And don't mind the dps t hat are being snarky, most often they're not all that great either, and if you just ask in dungeons, most often, people will be helpful if they can.

Best of luck, and I do believe that you'll make an awesome both pvp and raid healer one of these days!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
06/18/2013 04:16 PMPosted by Edethra
@Ellarix man I just have to remember this...my last bg of the day was terrible because not only did the dps scatter in all directions without a plan or communicating, they also blamed me for not being everywhere to heal everyone (I was the only healer) and did not help when I was being attacked...I died a few times trying to keep people alive and finally just kept myself alive while being mobbed lol. Anyway, thanks for your advice, I'll take it :)

Yeah - I haven't done a ton of PvP'ing in MoP, but I did a bunch on my priest in Cata (2v2, 3v3, and random BGs) - your team's gotta "peel" your attackers away (by CC'ing them and by generally threatening their lives so that if the enemy wants to live, they have to stop attacking *you* so they can defend *themselves*)

If you don't have someone defending you/peeling off you this way, you are *not* responsible for a loss ;)
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
06/18/2013 12:52 AMPosted by Edethra
When someone called me out for missing a heal, I told them it was my first time, and luckily they were understanding so there was no more after that.

Honestly, if someone called me out for missing a heal in a BG I would have to restrain myself from saying "bite me". Especially one at such a low level. You do the best you can with what you got. We all have to learn sometime, no matter what level or how long you've been playing. Though I am happy to hear they were understanding. Sadly, there are so many that are not in BG's and you'll run into them too. Just let their words flow over you unless they can actually produce some sort of advice.

To be honest, the only toon I don't get nervous queuing on is this Shammy, all my other toons, including my other healers and tanks I do still get a knot in my stomach when solo queuing. And the rare times I PvP on her (I don't do much anymore after changing servers from a PvP one a couple years ago) I do still get a bit nervous if I'm alone.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
I have to say, reading your initial post had me checking what server you're on, to see if I could help you run through a few dungeons, and, well, while I actually think I have a toon on blackrock, it might be lower level than you , so not much help I'm afraid.

You do however give some hope back I'd say, WoW isn't just filled with stupid lol.

And don't mind the dps t hat are being snarky, most often they're not all that great either, and if you just ask in dungeons, most often, people will be helpful if they can.

Best of luck, and I do believe that you'll make an awesome both pvp and raid healer one of these days!

Thank you! That's encouraging lol. Luckily there is an experienced player who has decided to be super nice and mentor me on blackrock, and another player on a different server who is a very good healer who gives me advice now and then. If not for them I honestly don't know where I would be.

If you don't have someone defending you/peeling off you this way, you are *not* responsible for a loss ;)

Ok cool...I'll remember that as well. I did feel like saying something about it, especially when one dps commented how he's not even a healer and he's top of the list for healing (I mean, maybe if you guys were getting people off me instead of trying to do my job for me I could stop dying and heal more, but hey.) Ah well :)

Honestly, if someone called me out for missing a heal in a BG I would have to restrain myself from saying "bite me". Especially one at such a low level. You do the best you can with what you got. We all have to learn sometime, no matter what level or how long you've been playing. Though I am happy to hear they were understanding. Sadly, there are so many that are not in BG's and you'll run into them too. Just let their words flow over you unless they can actually produce some sort of advice.

Haha I was tempted, but yeah, I'm glad they were nice about it. I've been reading the "things you don't want to hear" threads, and wow...I got lucky haha. Thick skin, special order, please. Anyway, it's encouraging to hear that even a high level player still gets nervous, so thank you.

You're all such nice people...why can't bgs just be healers haha
Reply Quote
76 Troll Druid
06/18/2013 11:47 PMPosted by Edethra
Haha I was tempted, but yeah, I'm glad they were nice about it. I've been reading the "things you don't want to hear" threads, and wow...I got lucky haha. Thick skin, special order, please. Anyway, it's encouraging to hear that even a high level player still gets nervous, so thank you.

The "Things you don't want to see in PUGs" threads are more about healers having an outlet to vent about groups that they get in a place where most of the readers will understand what they are talking about (at least that is how I have always viewed them)

My secret truth about how I feel about healing is that I enjoy it when I get thanked or complimented on my healing like in the dungeon I ran the other day with only 3 DPS (tank left on entry to the dungeon) and they commented on the fact that I was healing well even though I didn't have heirlooms. These times for me more than make up for the people who complain about your healing.

PS: While the information is of a general nature, you may wish to look at the leveling guide in the Druid forums done by Lissanna. The guide may have some helpful tips for you that people may not have already mentioned to you. You can find it at http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/969937119#7 (this will take you to the Restoration Section)
Edited by Noriz on 6/19/2013 3:34 AM PDT
Reply Quote
22 Gnome Warrior
A healing Add-On is your best friend. But they can be daunting to setup for the first time. Thankfully, there are a lot of youtube videos for Add-Ons like Healbot.

Once you have one setup, doing random BGs is one of the better ways to test it out and get used to using it. Expectations are low and just about any healing can have a big impact on encounters.

You will probably find yourself focusing on 2 to 3 spells for most cases, then adding a couple of others for special situations. Cooldown management skill typically comes last (those things that can only be used every 2 to 5 minutes and boost damage or add some super protections.)
Reply Quote
Haha I was tempted, but yeah, I'm glad they were nice about it. I've been reading the "things you don't want to hear" threads, and wow...I got lucky haha. Thick skin, special order, please. Anyway, it's encouraging to hear that even a high level player still gets nervous, so thank you. You're all such nice people...why can't bgs just be healers haha

I have a feeling that most of the people you run into in a random bg, wouldn't know how to find the forums;)

Of course we get nervous every now and then, I'd think there's something wrong if we don't, then we've relaxed too much, but then , that's just my opinion.

I rarely heal anymore, especially not pvp, I got tired of healing stupid, I peel these days instead. Also, I find it a bit funny ( but not odd at all) that most players who do peel for healers, have at least one healer, usually more, themselves.

Wait, I do heal pvp, just not on this toon lol, I'm having a blast healing on my holy pally, since I can take care of myself a bit more on that one, I don't need the peels as bad.
( and yes, I'll admit right here that I was never the best resto shaman around lol)
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
My secret truth about how I feel about healing is that I enjoy it when I get thanked or complimented on my healing like in the dungeon I ran the other day with only 3 DPS (tank left on entry to the dungeon) and they commented on the fact that I was healing well even though I didn't have heirlooms. These times for me more than make up for the people who complain about your healing.

PS: While the information is of a general nature, you may wish to look at the leveling guide in the Druid forums done by Lissanna. The guide may have some helpful tips for you that people may not have already mentioned to you. You can find it at http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/969937119#7 (this will take you to the Restoration Section)

Yes that is nice...and I have to say, even when people have not thanked me, I knew when I did well and that felt good even if no one else said anything. It's definitely worth it. Thanks, I will take a look!

@Prattle cool thanks, once I get the addons figured out I'll try one in a bg and see how it goes.

@Zrod lol, you're probably right. What gets me is when there is no one peeling at all; I'm so tempted to leave but I figure at least I'm taking damage instead of the dps, which is kind of like indirect healing haha.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]