Doing research to make my healer

And, it seems that every healing class is turning into a "dps to heal" class. With Druids now getting the talent to wrath to heal, I am further confused as to what the heck is going on. The last time I healed was Ulduar when it was current on my priest. Now you spam smite to heal? Are all classes this way? Or is it just an option? I'm just trying to clarify it because I was really considering making either a druid or a paladin for healing, and not knowing where to turn for info :(

Man I feel old in this game lol :p
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
I would say disc priest is the only viable damage to heal class and monk being able to do it in dungeons, but raids not as much since jab costs so much mana. Druid wrath takes so long to cast and won't heal enough nor have synergy to be viable for upper content to my knowledge. Shaman, pally don't dps unless they are really bored.
Reply Quote
Thanks for clarifying, I read that in the patch notes and I just about had it with what to do. I'm a really good healer, but I suck at trying to heal AND dps. My priest this expansion went shadow because it didn't feel natural to me to dps to heal. :)
Reply Quote
44 Blood Elf Warrior
Thanks for clarifying, I read that in the patch notes and I just about had it with what to do. I'm a really good healer, but I suck at trying to heal AND dps. My priest this expansion went shadow because it didn't feel natural to me to dps to heal. :)

It's very possible to make a Disc priest that doesn't just coast on Attonement but focuses more on casted heals. If you like the shielding playstyle of Disc over the the throughput of Holy then try to balance them.
Reply Quote
95 Human Priest
Well, the DPS aspect is more a filler than anything else. Honestly, there are times when I'm Holy that I want to take a nap (in 5 mans) because I have so little to do. Same on my druid. The concept is less about DPS to effectively heal, but more to DPS to give healers some more options instead of playing whack a mole with green bars.

You can Smite heal to a point with a Disc priest, but there is a point where it's not really usable without shifting the load to other healers.

It doesn't bother me to heal through DPS. The concept is neat. However, right now, one button spam is still one button spam, whether is Smite or Heal. I wish they'd give a few more ways to weave DPS into the rotation to benefit healing. What I do like about Disc is using HF/Solace/Smite to build up a potential buff to healing.
Edited by Kelyselen on 6/18/2013 10:50 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
If you don't like dps to heal, then just go with a Holy priest, or another healing class that doesn't. Atonement is a very important part of the Disc toolkit right now, and you can't get away from it without people picking on you. Better to play something you enjoy, imo.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Priest
06/18/2013 10:48 AMPosted by Kelyselen
the DPS aspect is more a filler

You can atonement up until moderate-heavy damage on several players. He is right, it is more of a filler. However I use PI + AA with mine sometimes especially when I am too lazy to cast heals.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]