Warlock vs spriest: returning player!

87 Dwarf Priest
I haven't played since Firelands was current content in Cata, and I'm just now getting back into the groove of things now that my schedule permits. Before I quit, I had both a shadow priest and affliction warlock at 85. I played mainly my lock as I loved the affliction play style moreso than the shadow style. In wrath, it was the opposite, where I mained my spriest and played my lock occasionally.

I haven't really had a chance to get on my lock or priest as I'm working on my Ele right now, but plan to get one of the two to 90 as soon as I cap him off. I enjoyed both specs in wrath amd Cata, I was heavy into DoT specs since I first started playing this game. I've messed around on my lock little bit ago and it seems like the play style has retained most of its original-ness from Cata. However I keep hearing both specs, shadow and affliction, are not in a good place right now, with the exception to affliction at high gear level. Is this true?

Can anyone give me a comparison between the two specs in this expansion? Have they both maintained their DoT-iness that made people like me who enjoy the style of play?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Rogue
"However I keep hearing both specs, shadow and affliction, are not in a good place right now, with the exception to affliction at high gear level. Is this true? "

warlocks of all 3 specs are currently dominating in pve. affliction does insane single target dps and obviously multi-target dps.

shadow is doing solid dps, maybe like 10% too low on single target fights, but great on multi target fights and bringing good raid utility.

if you care more about dps than fun go lock. if not play whatever
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Heres my opinion on Warlock and Spriest.

First Spriest,

Do great on multi-DoT fights consisting of 3-4 mobs.
Has very low single target dps
Overall this tier(this expansion in general) is lower part of middle of the pact

Now for warlocks,

Great dps at both low ilvls and high but..
Low ilvls is essentially Destro spec only
higher ilvls with crit trink you can use demo
higher ilvls 4pc and legendary meta, you can use Affliction
overall this tier they are at the top.

Up to you what you want to play though. Both of them are desirable in raiding atm for numerous reasons i have not mention but this is just talking about damage.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Warlocks dominate pretty heavily across multiple specs particularly in a pve environment if played by someone with half a brain. They've been heavily redesigned as I'm sure you know and are quite fun.

That said, Shadow Priest is simply the coolest damage dealing spec in the game.

So, I think we all know the correct answer.

EDIT By the way, the correct answer is to play a class that can also heal, because DPS gets booooooooring.
Edited by Garimm on 6/19/2013 2:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Warlocks dominate pretty heavily across multiple specs particularly in a pve environment if played by someone with half a brain. They've been heavily redesigned as I'm sure you know and are quite fun.

greatly depends on gear which specs are viable or not.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
You guys are forgetting...locks are getting nerfed to the ground next patch :3 I'd keep the spriest for now haha or do both just in case. Locks are never at the bottom for long.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Heres my opinion on Warlock and Spriest.

First Spriest,

Do great on multi-DoT fights consisting of 3-4 mobs.
Has very low single target dps
Overall this tier(this expansion in general) is lower part of middle of the pact

Now for warlocks,

Great dps at both low ilvls and high but..
Low ilvls is essentially Destro spec only
higher ilvls with crit trink you can use demo
higher ilvls 4pc and legendary meta, you can use Affliction
overall this tier they are at the top.

Up to you what you want to play though. Both of them are desirable in raiding atm for numerous reasons i have not mention but this is just talking about damage.

Basically this.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
You guys are forgetting...locks are getting nerfed to the ground next patch :3 I'd keep the spriest for now haha or do both just in case. Locks are never at the bottom for long.

They were never getting nerfed to the ground. They were getting survivability and mobility nerfs, and the nerf to KJC has been reduced a little.

Overall I'd suggest Warlock, simply because I don't understand the logic in levelling a class if you only enjoy one spec.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest

Well this guy has no idea what he's talking about.

Go lock. Even with the KJC change they'll still have the ability to reliably cast something while moving.

Given a choice between the new "nerfed to the ground" lock and a Shadow Priest I'd go with a lock... and I'm a Priest main since beta.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk

Locks are having their damage moved into dots, away from MG and having KJC changed. It's a nerf, but it is FAR from the ground.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Locks are having their damage moved into dots, away from MG and having KJC changed. It's a nerf, but it is FAR from the ground.

If it were true that Affliction's damage was being moved from MG and directly into our DoTs,
it wouldn't be a nerf, it would be the most glorious day in the history of World of Warcraft.

I'd suggest that the KJC change is a mild PVE buff and a moderate PVP nerf.
Edited by Zauberei on 6/22/2013 9:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Shadow

Always Shadow
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
06/22/2013 05:45 PMPosted by Kallìk

Even if this were true, it would not put them anywhere close as low as Shadow and they would most likely be buffed somewhere else to compensate. Also, any nerf they do take will most likely be made to offset how well affliction scales with gear.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]