Prot Pally in Domination/node Bg's

90 Blood Elf Paladin
Is Fun. I found that 9/10 times if you go to a node with 2-3 people guarding and you have 500-600k+ health (to last a bit longer) and the following items you can be quite useful in REGULAR bg's. Just spec into the Aoe talents and glyphs needed to provoke the enemy team into sending many of their team to kill you. Also the following things help.

Abilities/Items
-Horde Battle Standard
-LoH
-GoAK
-Divine Protection (non glyphed for casters)
-Devotion Aura (for casters)
-Ardent Defender
-Avenging Wrath
-Health boosting trinket's (tenacity ones)
-Divine Shield
-Blinding Light (non-glyphed)
-Use macros to reduce number of keybinds needed.
-Stamina relic (buyable and a nice hp boost)

Glyphs
Major
-Glyph of Dazing Shield
-Glyph of Avenging Wrath
-Glyph of Alabaster Shield
Minor
Glyph of the falling avenger

Talents
-T1-Preference
-T2-Fist of Justice
-T3-Eternal Flame
-T4-Unbreakable Spirit (reduces cooldown on important cooldowns (Divine Shield/Divine Protection/Lay on Hands)
-T5-Divine Purpose
-T6-Light's Hammer

Use big cooldowns accordingly and remember the shared forbearance debuff from BoP/DS/LoH. I Gem for Stamina/Res and reforge to haste/mastery while taking the Stamina and Mastery enchants. Meta gem is preference. I played ret/holy but neither appeal to me atm and I have fun every bg win or lose.

(Place the Horde Battle Standard strateically and not in plain view or the 10 minute cd will for sure be wasted). Expect for jerks to say "why you pvping as prot? L2holy/ret" they are unaware that it can be beneficial for aoe/node holding or distraction in regular bg's. This wasn't originally going to be this long of a post but I thought I'd give some method for my madness.

You'll know you're successful if 1.) "(insert player name) makes some strange gestures" or 2.) they send 50% or more of thier team to that node/area to kill you. if so keep going back. That's about it. Thanks for reading.
Edited by Vengeador on 6/15/2013 3:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Yes you get some funny emotes from ppl ....and if your good you can hold at least a quarter of the enemy at one place allowing the rest of you team to capture a majority of the objectives
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Yes you get some funny emotes from ppl ....and if your good you can hold at least a quarter of the enemy at one place allowing the rest of you team to capture a majority of the objectives

It's baffling, really. I don't understand how or why it's so effective but it is. Yes and I agree.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
FUN
Hi there fellow Prot - if I may, I've got a few suggestions.

Since you're going for a more survivability approach, compared to my offensive approach, swap out the [Alabaster Shield] glyph for another defensive glyph. Or if you really want a dmg glyph in there there are better options to choose from, such as [Word of Glory] or even [Final Wrath]. (After checking your profile I noticed you're not actually using it)

Other than that, your gems & chants look good for the approach you're going for. I would only add to try & get some weapon & shield enchants. Perhaps Colossus for the weapon for some extra dmg absorption and definitely get Titanium Plating for your shield - it reduces disarm duration by 50%.

Keep on Protin' ;)
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Still protting and waiting for 5.4. I have a plan for 5.4 which should yield a nice spot in rbg's!!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Hi there fellow Prot - if I may, I've got a few suggestions.

Since you're going for a more survivability approach, compared to my offensive approach, swap out the [Alabaster Shield] glyph for another defensive glyph. Or if you really want a dmg glyph in there there are better options to choose from, such as [Word of Glory] or even [Final Wrath]. (After checking your profile I noticed you're not actually using it)

Other than that, your gems & chants look good for the approach you're going for. I would only add to try & get some weapon & shield enchants. Perhaps Colossus for the weapon for some extra dmg absorption and definitely get Titanium Plating for your shield - it reduces disarm duration by 50%.

Keep on Protin' ;)

Thanks for the recommendations, yes I was thinking myself that it may be best to gem/enchant for Offence since all SP scales off of AP. As for items not enchanted I typically enchant when I get tyranical. I'll know for sure when I get tyranical which is best for different situations. Thanks again :)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
06/17/2013 02:00 AMPosted by Smithe
So prot works well in random BGs?

If you know what you're doing with it. Personally I think if you go for damage as prot it will ultimately give you more survivability than actually specing/stacking for defense. People aren't on you as long because you can actually kill them.

But don't be surprised if people /lol at you, it just comes with the territory.
It can actually be pretty funny when you outperform the players that laugh at you.

06/17/2013 02:00 AMPosted by Smithe
Can you survive 1v2 or 1v3 even ?

1v2 yes, actually there have been times where I was in a random in prot and I not only survived 2, but I ended up killing them both. Granted it's a random, but still.
1v3 is pretty unlikely, you'd have to seriously out gear them.

Does it work close to like blood dk?

It's not as easy to stay alive as it is in blood, while keeping vampiric blood and death strike on cd, as well as managing blood charges. But at the same time you're not as easily countered by being kited, and you're not as easily kited...at all.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]