I need some reassuring please (Ret Paladin)

90 Dwarf Paladin
This was my first character, i quite enjoyed playing him up until the redesigned the class back during cata. Ever since then i have off and on been attempting to get back into him, keeping him leveled up if i can, trying to enjoy him again, ext.

I was told in another thread about a week ago that ret paladins get better when you hit 90 and gear them a little. So i just finished leveling him to 90 in the hopes that i can enjoy my paladin again, but so far im not feeling it.

The spell effects suck, the spell sounds suck, the rotation doesn't feel fluid, it rather feels forced and boring, and the damage is like a joke.

Can someone reassure me that it will get better at some point, that when i get better gear im actually going to start enjoying it.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
The spell effects suck

You're melee. Get used to it.

the rotation doesn't feel fluid, it rather feels forced and boring

That's because you have practically no haste. You're also missing your level 90 talent.

the damage is like a joke

You have a 404 weapon. That's less than what's available at level 85. Ret is extremely weapon-dependent, so if you want to see real numbers, start by getting a level-appropriate weapon. You can get a crafted 463 from a blacksmith or a 450 from a quest in the Arena of Annihilation scenario, although those are still pretty low-level so don't expect too much out of them.
Edited by Keten on 6/16/2013 10:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
ret paladins get better when you hit 90 and gear them

The bolded part is where you're screwing up. You may have hit 90, but you still have squat for gear. You also haven't set your L90 talent. You have no hit, no expertise, no haste.

Fix yourself before you start whinging about absolutely nothing at all.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Your gear is laughable at the moment, of course the rotation and the damage are going to suck.

As you gain more haste the rotation will become steadily more fluid, as you get proper gear the damage will go up.

You can't just hit max level and run around in leveling gear and expect to do well.

As for spell effects and sounds that's your opinion, although if you enjoyed them when you were first playing the character I don't see why you wouldn't like them now as most of them have been improved upon.

Retribution is in the best place it has ever been right now. If you gear up and learn how to play it properly it is quite fun.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
the damage is like a joke.

They have like da best burst dmg
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
You're looking for reassurance, and it's there. The class doesn't need to be geared too heavily to start really shining. Once you're in mostly Heroic-level gear (463+) we start doing great. The rotations are a bit clunky when first being stepped into, but once you get it down, they're easy and fluid (especially Inquisition timing, sigh@5.4).

You've done the hard part in getting to 90, now just gear up a little and reap some of the best time invested.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
06/16/2013 10:23 AMPosted by Grôgnárd
ret paladins get better when you hit 90 and gear them

The bolded part is where you're screwing up. You may have hit 90, but you still have squat for gear. You also haven't set your L90 talent. You have no hit, no expertise, no haste.

Fix yourself before you start whinging about absolutely nothing at all.

Your post reminded me of this video, considering your emotional, snide irritated reply, that wasn't really on topic :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbcctWbC8Q0
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
You're looking for reassurance, and it's there. The class doesn't need to be geared too heavily to start really shining. Once you're in mostly Heroic-level gear (463+) we start doing great. The rotations are a bit clunky when first being stepped into, but once you get it down, they're easy and fluid (especially Inquisition timing, sigh@5.4).

You've done the hard part in getting to 90, now just gear up a little and reap some of the best time invested.

Thanks.

Someone actually understands the concept of my OP, and replies in a normal calm adult manner.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Thanks.

Someone actually understands the concept of my OP, and replies in a normal calm adult manner.

This is my main, I've been playing him non-stop for 5 years. I can assure you it gets better. Ret is the most gear and weapon dependent class in azeroth. I'm now at 520 ilvl, I have a 522 weapon, upgraded to 530.

The better gear you get (meaning either full hit/expertise on it, or a load of haste) the better you will be with fluidity of rotation and damage done. I'm top 2 dps on my guilds 10m TOT normal runs so far. The only fight I'm not is Horridon, which is extremely aoe friendly because of the adds. Ret does not have a friendly aoe, both of ours either cost HoPo to use or, does not cleave like other classes (I.E. Rogue Blade of Fury).

I have not had this much fun playing this character since, ever. Hope that gives you some reassurance.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
06/16/2013 11:04 AMPosted by Kelmach
considering your emotional, snide irritated reply, that wasn't really on topic :)

My response was perfectly calm and on topic. The simple fact that you were expecting something miraculous to happen with your damage just by hitting 90, but not putting in a single iota of the necessary care and attention your character actually needs to reach the appropriate output that your character actually has the potential to reach...That's on you. If you take offense to a blunt, accurate assessment of your character, that's on you.

The facts of the matter - without ego, without irritation - are that your character exhibits absolutely nothing of what is required to do good damage.

And that, too, is all on you.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Dynamic duo achieved 4 hours ago, you haven't geared a little so you're not going to see anything good no matter what class you're on. You're actually worse off at 90 than you were at 88 or 89 wearing that same gear because of how much combat ratings scaled down when you level.

Plus you're using a 404 weapon. How do you even get to 90 with that?
Edited by Cayse on 6/16/2013 11:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Rets is very viable now. I'm talking about pvp.

We have one of the best bursts in the game, if others see we pop wings and dont go defensive or underestimate it, we kill them in in 3-5s no joke, 2 hammers and 1 TV are just enough, of 1 hammer + 1TV if crit.

For defense and survievability, we have one of the best def tool, the bubble, also our offheals are insane, we cannot be snared, hand of prot/ purification/ sacrifice help our friends a tons, devotion aura break silence in 40 yd radius...

Just look at me gear, not even full Tyran, but for pve, I do 120 - 150k crit frequently, with 40-50k white damage.

For pvp, we have the ability to 1-2 shots people, similar to Ele shams or Warrior, but out survivability is much much better than them.

Just get full Malev set you will see the difference. Rets rank high this patch for melee dps both pve and pvp, also we have so many buffs from next patch (Turn Evil works on humanoids, beast...), Inquisition duration doubled, Hand of Purification damage reduction increase, shorter cd of bubble to half...

This patch we may rank a little lower than UH DK or Feral, higher than War, Rogue, WW... but next patch we may take the higher spot :)
Reply Quote

The spell effects suck, the spell sounds suck, the rotation doesn't feel fluid, it rather feels forced and boring, and the damage is like a joke.

Can someone reassure me that it will get better at some point, that when i get better gear im actually going to start enjoying it.

It will only get better with your attitude.

It sounds like you're over the Paladin class. If you are not enjoying the rotation or the " Feel " of it now, it is not going to change later. Your damage will be great once you gear, but the feel and mechanics are going to be the same.

Perhaps you should look into a different class now..
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Sorry to say this but I actually said "wow.." when i looked at the armory...you absolutely can NOT reforge OUT of hit and expertise for haste when you're no where near the caps...normally I'd say run you some heroics and get a little gear...but run some normals to get a little gear THEN run some heroics...
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
This just in:

Gearing and mastering your toon yields positive results.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
This just in:

You sir LIE!!!!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
This just in:

You sir LIE!!!!

Ya... you got me :(
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin

You sir LIE!!!!

Ya... you got me :(

Only in reference to mages. Or hunters.
Reply Quote
71 Undead Warlock
who didnt enjoy playing pallys during Lich King

They were probably the most OP classes ever to grace the map at that time
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
This was my first character, i quite enjoyed playing him up until the redesigned the class back during cata. Ever since then i have off and on been attempting to get back into him, keeping him leveled up if i can, trying to enjoy him again, ext.

I was told in another thread about a week ago that ret paladins get better when you hit 90 and gear them a little. So i just finished leveling him to 90 in the hopes that i can enjoy my paladin again, but so far im not feeling it.

Its you, not the class. Gear up ffs. Get your 450 Scenario weapon, run heroics. Your gear is holding you back which is killing your aspirations which is causing you to think that the class is terrible, when its your gear holding you back. I really hope you didnt expect to ding 90 and automatically start doing 100k+ sustained dps.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]