Mavericks 10.9 Full Screen 2 Monitors

90 Blood Elf Paladin
Hello everybody,

I'm a little disappointed that World of Warcraft is not working in mac's full screen mode. When I click the top right two arrows to max it out , like any other programs: Safari, Calendar for example. It does not work.

It always jumps back to the main screen and gets in full screen, but not on my second monitor. Is there anything else I can do? Hopefully that gets fixed.

Best regards,
Nezan
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
See here for a tip on how to potentially do it:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/9245385714#18
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Human Priest
Hello everybody,

I'm a little disappointed that World of Warcraft is not working in mac's full screen mode. When I click the top right two arrows to max it out , like any other programs: Safari, Calendar for example. It does not work.

It always jumps back to the main screen and gets in full screen, but not on my second monitor. Is there anything else I can do? Hopefully that gets fixed.

Best regards,
Nezan

Let me see if I can understand this correctly. You are attempting to use two displays as if they were one ginormous display? If that is the case, WoW would likely have to be recoded to make use of that feature. Given that the vast majority of users aren't going to be running Mavericks, that may or may not happen.

WoW is designed to see and use only a single monitor. It can be mirrored, but at a very steep performance hit (you are driving two displays with one card after all with the settings you chose in-game). But utilizing a "two screens as one display" feature that's built into the operating system won't work if WoW does not use that feature, and it most certainly doesn't at this point.

Right now the best you can do is a single display. One other thing to consider is that using two displays as one gigantic display would require a larger FoV to prevent distortion, but that would also give players in such configurations a huge tactical advantage in PvP/PvE over single display users. I'm not seeing any of the devs inclined to allow that to happen.
Caution: This cookie bites back.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Hello Tiapriestess,

first of all, congrats to your MVP Title. I remember seeing you before, posting very professional and useful comments in normal font as me. There we go:)

And excuse myself, english is my second language and I'm sorry that I didn't make it as clear as it should have been.

As you might have noticed, one new feature in Mavericks is that its now possible, to full screen out one program on the second monitor without moving back to the Main monitor and grey out the second one. Do you understand? That was one big problem in Mountain Lion with the new Full Screen Mode feature.

With the Mavericks its now possible to do it, and it works perfectly fine. I can now Full Screen Safari on my second monitor and work on my main monitor. Then I started World of Warcraft Mist of Pandaria which supports this feature as well, but not correctly. Everytime I click the two Arrows to max it out, it moves back to the Main Screen and does not stay on the second monitor where I put it.

Then we go into the settings in game, it has a checkmark at Full Screen and not Windows Mode, so I'm assuming Blizzard has to make a fix there.

I hope you understand what I mean now, if not, please ask again.

Best regards,
Nezan
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Human Priest
World of Warcraft's Fullscreen mode is designed only for a single display. The reason the apps you've used in Mavericks work is because they're either Apple's own fullscreen mode capable apps or they are third party apps that are written to take advantage of the OS' special Fullscreen mode as well.

World of Warcraft, on the other hand, has not been coded to use the special type of Fullscreen mode the OS uses. There are likely issues with any app that requires full resources such as 3D games using this special mode. I unfortunately do not know exactly what the reasons are for not giving World of Warcraft access to this mode, but perhaps S4d1k can pop in here and give a shout out as to why. He is the one responsible for making the SC2, D3, and WoW clients work properly on all supported versions of OS X.

I do know that OS X has a lot of very unusual underpinings with regard to how resolutions are handled, as evidenced by S4d1k and his team's ongoing battle with the OS in order to get WoW to work properly across all supported OS versions. This is especially noticeable with Retina MacBook Pros, as those are a rather special case and have presented S4d1k with some unique challenges in order to get that display scaling system working correctly without breaking everything else.

Please understand though that S4d1k may or may not say anything publicly here right now. As Mavericks is officially in beta status, it is pre-release software and he may not be able to divulge much, if any information about it as he is directly involved with Apple on matters regarding Blizzard's game clients. If he can say something or let one of the MVPs know, he will. If not, we'll have to wait until he is able to announce upcoming fixes and/or workarounds.

I am an active ADC member myself, and while I could probably get Mavericks installed and working on my Mac Pro 1,1 since I have the installer, I do not have a second display to tinker with and my TV which I use as my monitor does not support HDMI Picture in Picture like newer models do, so I can only make attempts to find workarounds. But the reality is that because WoW was specifically not designed to make use of Apple's special Fullscreen mode, there might not be a workaround until it is made to do so.

I know this isn't the answer you wanted to hear, but options are somewhat limited right now regarding Mavericks. Hopefully in the near future that will change, but until then, you'll probably have to settle for one display without use of the other.

I can shed light on one thing that makes Mavericks' Fullscreen+ mode work where it does not in any previous version of the OS: That version of OS X supports dual GPUs, and thus proper multi-display functionality such as has been present in both nVidia and AMD's drivers on the Windows side for years. Because of this support, that enables properly designed apps to not revert to the "old" style blanking behaviour that you are encountering now with World of Warcraft. But as I said above, unless/until something changes, you'll need to settle for what you have. At least that still works, and the SET gxMonitor "x" command (where X is 0 or 1) will let you choose which monitor to display WoW on. It just won't let you disable the secondary monitor blanking that happens currently.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Thank you very much for your fast and detailed reply. That was kind of what I was expecting to hear from you or any other MVP.

One question I still have open, why did Mist of Pandaria got the feature of OS X Full Screen Mode? I was just checking back to the Mac Client of Wrath of the Lich King, which does not have the feature enabled. What means, the little two Arrows at the top right.

Since this is all not working or meant to work, they why was it implanted into Mist of Pandarias Mac Client? Bascially what it does is: Command + M, nothing more. So , like you said, hope S4d1k will give us more information to that.

Best regards,
Nezan
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Human Priest
Which version of the MoP client are you using that has the Mavericks' Fullscreen Mode compatibility?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Version 5.3.0 (17055) (17055)

It does support Maverick's Fullscreen Mode. Perfectly to be honest, even the cursor changes. When I click between both Monitors. The only thing I mentioned is that it always switches to the number 1 Monitor.

Best regards,
Nezan
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Human Priest
OK, now we're starting to get somewhere. So in Mavericks it's switching to monitor #1. What exactly do you want it to do:

1) Run on monitor #2 instead

or

2) Run on both monitors as if they were one huge monitor

Knowing that is the next step in figuring out the solution. Bare in mind though, that #2 isn't likely to happen as it provides a huge advantage to people with multiple displays due to increased Field of View (FoV).
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Number 1, run on monitor 2 instead.

I don't need it on both.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Human Priest
OK, at least now I know what you're aiming for.

Until full Mavericks support shows up, you can at least get your game to show up on monitor #2 by putting this line into your config.wtf file:

SET gxMonitor "1"

This will force WoW to use the second monitor instead of the first. It'll still blank the first until support for Mavericks' multi-monitor configuration is put in, but it's a start.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]