Priest or Paladin first time raid healer

Not intending to heal as a main character (Blood DK working on heroics is my main), but want to play a healer for fun. Between a priest or paladin, what would you recommend to be a good healer to play for a first time raid healer?

Edit: Let me refine that. Looking for something that won't totally throw me off and is easy to pick up and play without spending a *ton* of time learning the class. I tried healing on my monk and just don't get them - not very intuitive to me. My priest I played a lot at 85 (was my main) and so I have a high level of comfort with disc/holy, while the paladin I've only dabbled with healing on and mostly tank.
Edited by Atroxis on 6/17/2013 8:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
If you liked the playstyles of disc/holy in cataclysm, they aren't drastically different in MoP. I'm biased, but I always recommend priest because you can fall back on the other healing spec if you don't like one. Paladin is very different from cataclysm. It plays more like a disc/holy priest/resto druid hybrid nowadays.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
If you're healing just for fun, I suggest going with the class/spec you already know semi-well instead of spending time trying to learn a whole new spec. They didn't change too much from their Cata incarnations, plus disc is pretty fun to heal with. I find Hpals boring.
Reply Quote
99 Blood Elf Priest
I'd say holy priest. But I'm biased, long time holy priest, recently asked to go disc. I find holy priest a lot more manageable personally. A lot more user friendly.
Edited by Copperfoxx on 6/17/2013 11:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
If you've only really dabbled with paladin healing, I'd suggest trying priest healing. I like to refer to paladin healing as clunky. It's easy once you learn it, but learning it is a charlie foxtrot. I'd suggest fiddling around as a disc or holy priest. Both playstyles are intuitive.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Having played both healers(a priest being the most recent addition to my healing characters) , I can say that priest healing has really gotten me back to having fun with the game. The class, especially disc, is very dynamic and interesting to play. It becomes a balance between direct healing, damage mitigation, and atonement. In this way, switching between styles and finding what balance fits each situation specifically really keeps the player engaged in each fight. This being said, healing on a priest is also very natural, and with two different healing specs it allows you to choose what best fits you as a healer, and already knowing how the class basically plays will allow you to not spend much time getting back into/learning the changes in MoP. Healing on the pally, while fun, became boring for myself.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the feedback. Priest just feels "right" to me when I heal, everything else just doesn't give me that special feeling in the junk.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
As far as straight healing is concerned, I've always felt that the Paladins were the easiest healer to grasp. If you wanna see health bars go up, it's just cut-and-dry with no gimmicks: Holy Light as your filler, Divine Light at >75%, use Holy Shock on CD to build up your free heals, throw WoG/EF at anyone with less than 100% health. For AoE encounters, it's still pretty easy: Holy Radiance*2 -> Daybreak proc -> Light of Dawn -> Repeat.

The Paladin gimmicks are all utility-based, and are simple in use. If someone's taking too much damage, Hand of Sacrifice. Is it going to hurt you a lot, too? Shield it. Someone's almost dead: Lay on Hands.

Sankta mentioned something about how Paladins are so different from back in Cata. I think it's a good thing. As much as I loved pulling off faster Divine Lights and spamming Holy Radiance, I just didn't feel like there was much skill since that was really all you had to do to win in raids.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Both are OP currently but I say paladin since they are so desirable in any raid setting and those plate healing pieces need to go to someone.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Both are OP currently but I say paladin since they are so desirable in any raid setting and those plate healing pieces need to go to someone.

They aren't "OP" maybe paladins are with their utility but healers are very well balanced.

Also light of dawn is kind of garbage, EF blanket is far superior(expt for some cases). Don't really want to get into it but with paladin healing you have to have good rhythm I feel like. I'd say go for priest since they have cool sound effects!
Reply Quote
95 Human Priest
Looks like you answered your own question, priest seems a better fit.

I have a few druids, priests, and paladins. The only time I itch for anything but priest is when I think about getting back into tanking.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]