So...Virtual, Virtual Realms?

(Locked)

90 Pandaren Monk
Why don't they bite the bullet and just merge some servers instead of trying to make things that will bug the game to heck and back?

Thoughts?
I think its a good feature.
90 Human Paladin
Because as it's been said plenty of times before actually merging server data would cause more trouble when they can just do Virtual Servers.

Why can't people just shut up and just be happy that Blizzard is doing something instead of ignoring people...
90 Orc Death Knight
Its merging servers without the forced name changes. I like it.
90 Pandaren Monk
Because as it's been said plenty of times before actually merging server data would cause more trouble when they can just do Virtual Servers.

Why can't people just shut up and just be happy that Blizzard is doing something instead of ignoring people...

To be honest, Never read about blizzard ever saying anything of the sort. And no I'm not saying they didn't I just said I've yet to read anything about it.

I am kind of happy, but doing a actual server merge causing more problems, that is entirely dependant on the people who are paid to actually do it.
100 Dwarf Warrior

Yeah, i see that is the best part about virtual servers.

Do we really want to raise the ire of all the XxDKillerxx's when one of them is forced to lose his super original hardcore name to another XxDKillerxx?
90 Blood Elf Mage
Lets just see how it works..OK?

I bet it will not be that bad.
90 Blood Elf Priest
In my opinion, they should merge servers with the release of Virtual Realms. I don't see the playerbase returning to 12 million, and, as such, they have to many servers to begin with. I love the Virtual Realms feature, but they need to take this time to clean up their current realm base as well.
90 Human Monk
Merging realms would not be a long term solution.

1) Merge realms
2) People transfer off new merged realm
3) Population problem starts anew.

With virtual realms, people transferring around will cease to be an issue as my understanding is it will dynamically update every so often to keep populations above a threshold.
I love the Virtual Realms feature, but they need to take this time to clean up their current realm base as well.

How do you define who keeps character names?
What about guild names?
More hassle than it's worth. VRealms is the way to go.

EDIT: Something to keep in mind, is that Blizzard has a minimum deployment size in server racks. If merging realms dropped one of their data centres below that threshold, they would need to then merge all those realms with realms at other data centres and close down that battlegroup deployment of server racks.
Edited by Alyxandriah on 6/18/2013 10:57 AM PDT
90 Gnome Rogue
06/18/2013 10:41 AMPosted by Snooptrogg

Do we really want to raise the ire of all the XxDKillerxx's when one of them is forced to lose his super original hardcore name to another XxDKillerxx?

Can't wait to see the XxDKillerxx#1, XxDKillerxx#2, XxDKillerxx#3
Or maybe it'll be their battle tags! So we'll see XxDKillerxx#79981, XxDKillerxx#13548, and XxDKillerxx#64872!
90 Orc Death Knight
06/18/2013 10:49 AMPosted by Jiwickets

Can't wait to see the XxDKillerxx#1, XxDKillerxx#2, XxDKillerxx#3
Or maybe it'll be their battle tags! So we'll see XxDKillerxx#79981, XxDKillerxx#13548, and XxDKillerxx#64872!

I thought it was going to be Charactername#OriginalRealm or something of the sort. I mean, that's what they are already doing in CRZ
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Why don't they bite the bullet and just merge some servers instead of trying to make things that will bug the game to heck and back?

And your Doctorate in Computer Science is from where? How do you conclude with no access to the source code that it will bug the game?
90 Blood Elf Priest
Merging realms would not be a long term solution.

1) Merge realms
2) People transfer off new merged realm
3) Population problem starts anew.

With virtual realms, people transferring around will cease to be an issue as my understanding is it will dynamically update every so often to keep populations above a threshold.
I love the Virtual Realms feature, but they need to take this time to clean up their current realm base as well.

How do you define who keeps character names?
What about guild names?
More hassle than it's worth. VRealms is the way to go.

EDIT: Something to keep in mind, is that Blizzard has a minimum deployment size in server racks. If merging realms dropped one of their data servers below that threshold, they would need to then merge all those realms with realms at other data centres and close down that battlegroup deployment of server racks.

Yes, Virtural Realms are the future of the MMO Community, but that being said, Blizzard has too many servers for the game as it currently exists. They need to clean up their current realm base in addition to releasing Virtual Realms. As for your questions, you would simply go by the age of the server, and the age of the toon, et cetera. Yes, some people will complain, but this is for the advancement of the community as a whole.
Edited by Aenistris on 6/18/2013 10:56 AM PDT
90 Human Monk
Yes, Virtural Realms are the future of the MMO Community, but that being said, Blizzard has to many servers for the game as it currently exists. They need to clean up their current realm base in addition to releasing Virtual Realms. As for your questions, you would simply go by the age of the server, and the age of the toon, et cetera. Yes, some people will complain, but this is for the advancement of the community as a whole.
Kindly read the edit to my post to understand why they will not merge realms in the near future.

Thoughts?

Cause you have people who want to keep their own realm.
90 Undead Priest

Thoughts?

they ARE merging servers, they're just not saying "Okay, because you're on realm X you will now need to log onto realm Y."

It's effectively merging "virtual realms" without actually deleting the name of the realm.

Although it can still pose a slight business problem for them; people might stop paying $25-$55 per character to change servers!
90 Dwarf Warrior
I think that some realms are perfectly fine. Others aren't.

I agree though. I wish that all auctionhouses could be merged. I really hate not finding what I'm looking for, especially since Korialstrasz lost most of its population in the recent mass-exodus.

The move itself brought on a cascade effect. People are afraid our server is dying so they're trying to buy a bunch of the expensive things from our AH so that they could transfer characters and evade the gold transfer cap.
90 Blood Elf Priest
Kindly read the edit to my post to understand why they will not merge realms in the near future.

Clearly, that's your personal opinion, and you're entitled to that belief. However, maintaining fifty additonal servers for the sake of maintaining them is a bad, business decision. Server capacity has increased over the life of the game, and any additional increases within the population base should be maintained on consolidated realms coupled with virtual realms.
Edited by Aenistris on 6/18/2013 11:21 AM PDT
90 Human Monk
Clearly, that's your personal opinion, and you're entitled to that belief. However, maintaining fifty additonal servers for the sake of maintaining them is a bad, business decision. Server capacity has increased over the life of the game, and any additional increases within the population base should be maintained on consolidated realms.
It actually isn't my opinion.
It's been stated in the past (I believe on the old WoW forums) that Blizzard maintains a minimum server rack deployment.

If any of the deployments fell under that minimum deployment figure, the entire deployment would be merged and shifted around to other data centres which were still above the minimum deployment threshold.

Also keep in mind, each of WoW's realms are spread across quite a few servers. The complexity of the data structure is another reason we are unlikely to see realm mergers until absolutely necessary.
90 Night Elf Death Knight

This! It is pretty much server mergers but without all the cons. (forced name changes, etc)

It's what people have been asking for, but better.

I just hope they actually spend time testing it, so it doesn't ship out in the same horrid mess CRZ did.

And I still hold out hope this means cross realm heirlooms finally (or at least being able to send them to different "realms" in a VR cluster)
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]