Don't install BC or Wrath if you're at 4.x

(Locked)

Support Forum Agent
It recently came to our attention that it is possible to install these games on top of World of Warcraft version 4.0 and it'll revert part of the data files to 3.x or 2.x, corrupting the game in the process. Please don't install the old games if you've applied the 4.0 patch. After applying the 4.0 patch, you should have all of the files you need so if you bought a new game, just upgrade your account on Account Management and then log onto your existing game client.

Two things can happen if you try installing the old game on top of 4.0:

You'll get an installation error when the installer can't find the old game file it needs. This tends to happen on older installers.

After installing Burning Crusade or Wrath and the little tools patch successfully, you'll be greeted by the error "Launcher requires write permission to the World of Warcraft Registry key to successfully locate and run the game"
http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/300/launcherrequireswritepe.png

If the installation is not successful, most people will get stuck around 74% before it errors out.

If you did end up installing an old game on top of 4.0, please just delete the entire game folder and reinstall using http://us.media.battle.net.edgesuite.net/downloads/wow-installers/WoW-4.0.0-WOW-enUS-Installer.exe
Edited by Datth on 12/8/2010 7:12 AM PST
88 Goblin Shaman
So... what if your internet connection is not good enough to install the entire game from your link? We just cant use cds at all then? i ask this because i just got a new computer, installed the wotlk cd i have had for a while and of course the registry problem pops up and i dont think my internet will handle this huge download.
Support Forum Agent
You can install a base game of any flavor (1.x, 2.x, 3.x) and then patch to 4.x fine. You can't start from a patched game (4.x) and then install 1.x, 2.x or 3.x on top of that.

You won't get the registry error using the first method unless you run system restore. You will get it using the second method.

You're at Wrath so I'm not sure why you would do the second method.

Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.
http://www.surveymk.com/s/H2S6NPZ
5 Troll Priest
I'm coming back after a long exodus from the game, and this issue is giving me problems. I installed the base game via the internet download (which I presume brings me up to 4.x). After the base game was completely loaded, I attempted to install Burning Crusade, but the installer says that I must first load the original WoW (which is already loaded!). I attempted to just upgrade my account on Account Management, but it doesn't recognize my CD key. What should I do? I've got all the disks for Burning Crusade and Wrath, but right now they are useless.
100 Blood Elf Warlock
So if we get a new computer,we just have to install classic and the lastest expansion and let it patch?
85 Dwarf Hunter
If you get a new computer, then you'll save yourself a lot of time and trouble by just using the new online installer. Otherwise if you don't want to use the online installer, just use your Wrath DVD and then patch.
Support Forum Agent

I'm coming back after a long exodus from the game, and this issue is giving me problems. I installed the base game via the internet download (which I presume brings me up to 4.x). After the base game was completely loaded, I attempted to install Burning Crusade, but the installer says that I must first load the original WoW (which is already loaded!). I attempted to just upgrade my account on Account Management, but it doesn't recognize my CD key. What should I do? I've got all the disks for Burning Crusade and Wrath, but right now they are useless.

Your account is already a Wrath account. You can't downgrade a Wrath account to a Burning Crusade account or reuse your old keys. You just need to log into the game and let it do its thing.

Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.
http://www.surveymk.com/s/RHXXKHK
100 Dwarf Warrior
Will there be any benefit to removing/deleting my wow folder (that has been updated and patched over the years) and do a clean install of wow from the cataclysm dvd?

If I did this anyway, would there be a lot of patches to download or will the client be 4.0.3a already?

tyvm
Support Forum Agent
Will there be any benefit to removing/deleting my wow folder (that has been updated and patched over the years) and do a clean install of wow from the cataclysm dvd?

If I did this anyway, would there be a lot of patches to download or will the client be 4.0.3a already?

tyvm

No benefit file structure-wise. The migration patch already does what that Cataclysm DVD would do on a clean install.

http://www.surveymk.com/s/RHXXKHK

85 Orc Hunter
Hello.

I recently purchased a digital copy of the original WoW, installed it and patched up to 4.0.3. Please correct me if I'm wrong but now that I want to upgrade to TBC and Wotlk through digital copies rather than buying a hard disc copy, all I need to do is log in to my game and it will begin the upgrade through a download? I'm still not 100% sure on how the whole system works.

Thank you in advance.
85 Dwarf Hunter
If you're already patched to version 4.0.3, then you already have the content for BC and LK on your computer. All you need to do now is upgrade the account to BC and LK in your Battle.net account management page and you're good to go. No extra downloads involved.
85 Night Elf Hunter
Frostspells:

You are correct. If your installed world of warcraft is at patch 4.0.3, then you should not run any further installers. If you do the Digital Online Upgrade, it will automatically upgrade your account, and there's no need to update your client.

To clarify, because there seems to be a bit of misunderstanding on this point, there are two different 'versions' of World of Warcraft. There's the client version, which you can see when you launch the game in the bottom left corner, and there's the version (really, the expansion level) in your account. No matter what expansions you have in your account, you must have the latest version of the game installed (currently 4.0.3) in order to play. If you have that version, then you have all the game data necessary, regardless of expansion level - any account can log in using that install.

What that means for you: As of patch 4.0.0, any new install can be done in a few ways:
  • The easiest way is to download the 4.0.0 installer: https://us.battle.net/account/downloads/WoW-4.0.0-WOW-enUS-Installer.exe

• If you don't have a good internet connection, or you do have install media (CDs or DVDs) for any previous version, you can use them. Once you do so, the patch process will begin, and will update your client to 4.0.3.

Either way, your client is now fully updated. You need to do this whether your account is classic only, or if you have BC, or Wrath, or even the Cataclysm Digital Download.

If you later update your account with BC or Wrath, you do not need to install or update using any installer or install media. Your client is already at 4.0.3. Installing with Wrath DVDs will partially overwrite that with version 3.0.0, or BC DVDs will overwrite that with 2.0.0, and that will result in a corrupted install.

If you later add the Cataclysm Digital Download, you must log in to your account once. This will tell the client that your account has Cataclysm enabled, and will tell it to begin downloading data as it becomes available. This will happen whenever the game or the Launcher is running.
1 Draenei Priest
Thanks for this posting, i have searched all morning on this problem and nothing seemed to work, after i had installed the first game and did the 11.2gb patch everything was fine, but i was not aware at the time to not install BC. So when i did install BC i got the error. so i removed everything and repatching the 11.2gig patches, which takes me 1+days to patch in the philippines, but i am happy with that knowing my game will be fixed after that...Thanks
85 Blood Elf Rogue
When i DL from http://us.battle.net/account/downloads/WoW-4.0.0-WOW-enUS-Installer.exe
the top left says Upgrade to Burning Crusade????

I cant enter WoW i keep getting an error as shown here

V----------------------------------------------------------------------------------V
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1127155523?page=1#1
85 Night Elf Druid
"If you're already patched to version 4.0.3, then you already have the content for BC and LK on your computer. All you need to do now is upgrade the account to BC and LK in your Battle.net account management page and you're good to go. No extra downloads involved."

This would have been great to know 3 friggin' days ago when I upgraded my dl'd trial account to BC. now i have this dang patcher error for needing write access b/c Blizz wasn't bright enough to put a note of some kind on the purchase page for TBC/WOTLK about not installing from disc's over a patched version of the game. ARGH....now i have to competely reinstall, Thx Blizz, i might just quit playing, again,.......
Edited by Taamer on 11/28/2010 3:57 AM PST
85 Human Paladin
OK i upgraded my account to BC so i did not down lode enething dos that mean i have BC oh and i have drinay and blood elf plz help me.
90 Human Warrior
ok sorry i know you guys are probaably getting annoyed trying to explain this all. but ok so i just bought the battle chest on black friday. got the game downloaded. by using both discs. but i never put in the BC cd key just the original WoW key. but it says in the corner of the launcher upgrade to burning crusade. CAN I DO THAT BECAUSE I USED BOTH DISCS IN THE BEGINNING OR WILL IT NOT WORK BECAUSE OF THE PATCH. IM KIND OF CONFUSED.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
is this why hard copy's of the game are only 5 or 10 bucks now? because the cd's are useless?
62 Draenei Shaman

No benefit file structure-wise. The migration patch already does what that Cataclysm DVD would do on a clean install.

I'm looking to upgrade my system to Windows 7 in the next week, so I'm looking at a fresh install situation. What would involve the shortest download time: download the digital 4.0.0 and patch to current version and then install Cataclysm, or install Cataclysm from the DVD first and then patch?

In either case, my heart is out to those who have a monthly bandwidth cap. Multiple gigabyte patches hardly seems efficient...
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]