Don't install BC or Wrath if you're at 4.x

(Locked)

62 Draenei Shaman
Double post...The deathwing error message threw me.
Edited by Lakktos on 12/1/2010 1:16 PM PST
30 Night Elf Druid
I'm coming back after a long exodus from the game, and this issue is giving me problems. I installed the base game via the internet download (which I presume brings me up to 4.x). After the base game was completely loaded, I attempted to install Burning Crusade, but the installer says that I must first load the original WoW (which is already loaded!). I attempted to just upgrade my account on Account Management, but it doesn't recognize my CD key. What should I do? I've got all the disks for Burning Crusade and Wrath, but right now they are useless.

I have a similar problem. I just came back to get ready for Cataclysm and I installed WoW from the website's installer program, but I upgraded to Burning Crusade from the website also and then I bought Wrath of the Lich King on CD. I can't figure out how to get Burning Crusade on my computer now and my friend wants to send me a Scroll of Ressurection so he can get a free month of WoW. Can anybody help me please?
90 Draenei Warrior
the 4.0 installer should take care of anything up to lich and some of cata atm. if you need to install then it would be cataclysm if it is in the box version next week. doing anything else will result in a corrupted game and could cause you to re-install everything all over again :(.

hope this helps you out.
Edited by Nipahselrahc on 12/3/2010 11:15 AM PST
90 Human Warrior
so wait wat do u mean the 4.0 will takse care of everything up to lich king?
58 Human Paladin
Thank god I upgraded to BC with CD right before.

But....To get Cataclysm, I still need to upgrade to Wrath, right? I go to the Account managment and i click on digital download?
Edited by Imladrynn on 12/3/2010 4:16 PM PST
90 Draenei Warrior
4.0 covers almost everything. just be prepared to wait a while depending on connection speed, if you have not done so, with wrath just the key if you have the 4.0 nothing else to install.

you will need wrath to get cata
Edited by Nipahselrahc on 12/3/2010 4:18 PM PST
58 Human Paladin
It should be able to skip expansions...
Support Forum Agent
The account and the game client are not the same thing

Accountwise:
World of Warcraft Classic -> Burning Crusade -> Wrath of the Lich King -> Cataclysm

You can't skip around unless you get a battlechest that includes what you need.

Game client:
4.0 installer - https://us.battle.net/account/downloads/WoW-4.0.0-WOW-enUS-Installer.exe
You just need that to start playing the game. If your game is already updated to 4.0.x (current version is 4.0.3a), just log on and it'll install whatever your account needs.

Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.
Vial of Tears http://www.surveymk.com/s/RHXXKHK
85 Human Warlock
edit: never mind I figured out my problem
Edited by Holykarl on 12/5/2010 8:22 PM PST
85 Blood Elf Paladin
i bought bc like 2 weeks ago and it stopped at 74% but let me make a blood elf it was all going good til i got to level 52 then it blue screens me every time i try to get on him. i never downloaded the whole bc it stopped at 74% and i bought a hard copy of it, and i bought a digital copy of LK and i can't get to the BC to download a digital copy....... any help??????????????
52 Human Paladin
these links are out of date, can i plz get some up to date ones?
85 Draenei Paladin
So when i go to install cata it wont ask for Wrath of the Lich King right? ( my computer crashed and I've had to reinstall everything)
85 Draenei Priest
Any chance that we can get a new link for that download that isn't 404? I'd like to fix this problem since I found this thread AFTER I got the error at 74%, but your download is MIA. This is the one I'm trying: https://us.battle.net/account/downloads/WoW-4.0.0-WOW-enUS-Installer.exe
18 Night Elf Warrior
I did the digital download for bc, which is still queued in battle.net ...but bought the disk version of wotlk...do i need to wait for bc to not say queued b4 i can upgrade my account to wotlk than cataclysm?? my accoun says im at the bc version..and i can play as a blood elf etc.
58 Human Paladin
Wait..........I still don't understand:

I'm probably going to get a new computer, and what will I have to do??
Support Forum Agent
12/06/2010 5:09 PMPosted by Zgdrasiil
So when i go to install cata it wont ask for Wrath of the Lich King right? ( my computer crashed and I've had to reinstall everything)
Correct.

12/07/2010 6:34 PMPosted by Lalandria
Any chance that we can get a new link for that download that isn't 404? I'd like to fix this problem since I found this thread AFTER I got the error at 74%, but your download is MIA. This is the one I'm trying: https://us.battle.net/account/downloads/WoW-4.0.0-WOW-enUS-Installer.exe
We moved that link to a better server. I updated the original link to show that. Keep in mind that this is the same link that is in Account Management - I just linked you straight to the file to save a bit of time from logging in.

[quote="13055751681"]I did the digital download for bc, which is still queued in battle.net ...but bought the disk version of wotlk...do i need to wait for bc to not say queued b4 i can upgrade my account to wotlk than cataclysm?? my accoun says im at the bc version..and i can play as a blood elf etc.[/quote]
Just log into the game. Your upgraded account tells the game what to start downloading/installing.

[quote="13055753304"]Wait..........I still don't understand:

I'm probably going to get a new computer, and what will I have to do??[/quote]
You install the game and log on. Updated installers can be found on this post. Just use that one.
90 Night Elf Hunter
Ok, I installed vanilla, BC, and Wrath after coming back. I downloaded the immense 4.0.1, all the hot-fixes for it, and then 4.0.3 about a week ago Then, I installed Cata last night, and my launcher started up downloading a 6 GB file. I asked my friend about this, and he said all he had to do was download a 100MB file after his install. So, am I missing something? Should I delete everything and just install a base game and Cata? I assume 4.0.1 comes on the disc.
Support Forum Agent
It sounds like you ended up doing a clean Cataclysm DVD install instead of upgrading your existing game. A proper Cataclysm install would net you ~1.7 GB worth of downloads.

Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.
Vial of Tears http://www.surveymk.com/s/RHXXKHK
90 Night Elf Hunter
Ok, this only sort of answers my question. What version EXACTLY does the Cata DVD bring me up to? I am hoping at least 4.0.1.12911 to bypass that long download again.

And what's a PROPER install if I did a clean install?
90 Night Elf Hunter
I THINK I figured out my problem....

1. Install via Cataclysm DVD. It requires repatching and streaming of data if you go this route. If you installed from scratch (no games or really really old games), your streaming size is ~6.8 GB

I had a lot of computer problems at the time I reinstalled and came back, and after I downed 4.0.1 off of another site via torrent, a different portion, formatted, and reinstalled Windows. And after looking at the "Install Cataclysm - Multiple ways", it dawned on me.

In short, I have TWO instances of the game on my computer, in different locations. That explain the 6 GB patch it's downloading, why my graphic settings had to be redone, and where all my addons went.

Thank you for your help, Datth
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]