Don't install BC or Wrath if you're at 4.x

(Locked)

85 Orc Warlock
12/07/2010 7:21 PMPosted by Blueasari
Well I downloaded a 14-day trial out of a Warcraft 3 Battlechest and decided the previously hated game WoW was worth popping in the disk-tray out of boredom. Well one thing led to another and now I have decided WoW isn't horrible. I went out and bought the Battlechest and still using the trial-version upgraded my account. I put in the game disk and downloaded the Burning Crusade, but right at 75% I get an error message saying:

"Sorry, the installation failed.
The file "C:\World of Warcraft\Data\common-2.MPQ" could not be found. If this problem persists, please contact Blizzard Technical Support. (OpenArchive::Execute)"

My disk is perfectly clean, no spots, scratches or dust. Not sure how to get around this, I have tried it several times and the same error occurs. Maybe I should re-install the game? My only concern with having to do this is downloading the patches again... the god awful patches. Took me 2 days of downloading to get those suckers done. If I uninstall do the patches remain?

-From my thread. What do you recommend I do? Just uninstall the trial version of game, then install both games before it starts patching? Oh god please tell me I don't have to go through that patching again...
85 Orc Warlock
Also, how do I install using the link you provided? I'm a bit confused. When in the process of installing the game do I use that link? Do I just not patch and use that as an alternative or something?

Another question: When I try to uninstall the trial it says "File in use." and I can't uninstall.
85 Night Elf Priest
Okay...since I didn't see THIS question asked. I had to reformat my hard drive today following a massive trojan, worm and virus invasion directly after loading Cataclysm. Since my files/folders are no longer on my PC, what is the best approach to installing from scratch if they're 100% gone? I'd already started loading my discs before reading this, and now I'm wondering if it was the right thing to do...
80 Undead Mage
Im posting this for my friend but,

He just started playing again and installed the game from the online client download from battle.net... so this should have brought him up to 4.0

but after the install is complete and he clicks the launcher his play button is grayed out.

Its not downloading a patch or anything either, he tried running as administrator and directly using the .exe in the wow files to start to the game. this got the game to run after logging in at the main screen it gives a critical error and crashes?

What should he do?
Support Forum Agent
12/08/2010 10:59 PMPosted by Rawrmobile
Im posting this for my friend but,

He just started playing again and installed the game from the online client download from battle.net... so this should have brought him up to 4.0

but after the install is complete and he clicks the launcher his play button is grayed out.

Its not downloading a patch or anything either, he tried running as administrator and directly using the .exe in the wow files to start to the game. this got the game to run after logging in at the main screen it gives a critical error and crashes?

What should he do?

Something is blocking his launcher from patching and he's trying to log on with an invalid game version (4.0.0. We started at 4.0.1). He needs to unblock his launcher first from his security program so that it can update.

Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.
Vial of Tears http://www.surveymk.com/s/RHXXKHK

Not sure if this question was answered earlier in the post (I read the whole thread but wasn't sure if my question was answered), but if I am reinstalling the game from scratch, i.e. uninstalled the game and now want to reinstall, can I simply use the cataclysm install discs and then patch to the current state of the game or do I need to install all four sets of discs (vanilla, BC, WotLK, then Cata) successively?

Edit: Somehow I missed the installing Cataclysm stickied thread that concisely answered my question. My apologies :)
Edited by Diodoros on 12/9/2010 11:57 AM PST
90 Orc Warrior
Ok so do i have to re-download the whole thing to download B.C.?
90 Orc Warrior
okay so i have redownloaded the first one and it is still doing the same thing why is this?!
Support Forum Agent

12/09/2010 1:01 PMPosted by Ugallin
Ok so do i have to re-download the whole thing to download B.C.?

What are you redownloading? If you have an already-patched game, just log on. If you don't have one, go to Account Management and install it. http://us.media.battle.net.edgesuite.net/downloads/wow-installers/WoW-4.0.0-WOW-enUS-Installer.exe

Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.
Vial of Tears http://www.surveymk.com/s/RHXXKHK
82 Undead Mage
Sorry if this has already been covered, but I want to make sure I don't mess something up. I've been sitting on vanilla WoW for years. I bought the three expansion packs. I don't have to install anything for BC or WotLK. I SHOULD install Cataclysm even though my system was patched before the purchase. I ask only because when I tried playing before I bought the expansion the game had to constantly stream the world data to my computer because of the changes and the installer is actually letting me install the game. Is this correct? Thanks!
Hey guys.. So I was updated with all of the patches in WoW and I put my Cataclysm disc in my computer and click install.. After it was completed is it wanting me to download a 6.8 Gigabyte patch? that doesnt seem right.. what happened?
80 Blood Elf Mage
hey datth, im trying to download the patch and it keeps saying it cant connect and the play button is grayed out... i think its becuase im at college and the firewall or something might be blocking it...

can you give me a link so i can download the patches from another site or something?

i cant use the cataclysm discs becuase i dont have the game

I had some trouble with Cataclysm since I couldn't patch further. I opened a forum, but this seems to have more of an update -

I unistalled the game on Wednesday and went to the site to install WoW and reinstalled all the expansions, do I need to go through this process again?
4 Human Hunter
Ok, so I have a question of my own. I bought and installed WoW the game. Bought BC WOTLK and CATA and started accidently started with CATA now it won't let me install BC or WOTLK. What should I do?
85 Worgen Death Knight
I clicked this link here because I had to uninstall all of WoW due to faulty installation. So if I click that link it'll download EVERYTHING I need including the games up to what I have in my account? I'm a little bit confused. I think this was the link I was referred to...
60 Draenei Warrior
I can`t download WotLK at all. It stops at 74%. So, should I just un download everything and re download everything?
100 Night Elf Druid
ok, so if i had to uninstall and reinstall the game wow,bc, and lich BEFORE cata, then do i have to go back, uninstall everything then JUST install the WOW then the cata and skip BC and LICH or how would i do that? my computer keeps locking up HARD when i logout or quit the game and i know i have corrupted files in the game somewhere. my husbands computer does it too. we have a program for each computer and i can't remember which box goes to which computer. except cata, where i actually wrote down what box went to where. thanks:
Edited by Nokomis on 12/10/2010 6:35 PM PST
I apologize in advance if I have the wrong area to ask some questions, could not find the right forum.

I have been reading through all the questions and replies here, but have not really found an answer to my problem. I had an older computer using Windows XP and it gave out about 4 months ago. About 3 weeks ago I purchased a new Gateway computer with Windows 7, 64-bit, Intel Core i3 550 Processor, 8GB DDR3 Memory, and Intel HD Graphics. I went through Account Management to download the game client with the original WOW and BC. About 6 hours or so later, I had my game and it played great, then a week later, I purchased through the digital download, WOLK. It proceeded to download while I was playing, no problems. Later that night, I was kind of tired and forgot to leave the launcher up so it could finish downloading and shut off my computer. The next morning when I went to boot my computer, it refused to boot up after entering my password. After getting to safe mode, I did a system restore and when I turned the computer back on all I got was a black screen. After contacting Gateway, I eventually had to reset my computer to factory settings and so of course no WOW at this time as I can't figure out what caused my computer to not boot up. I have done a bunch of research on the net, looking for similiar issues that maybe others are having that might relate to my issue.

My question is does the game client through the Blizzard downloader recognize that I am now using a Windows 7 64-bit instead of my XP computer with 32 bit?
Could this have been the conflict as to why my computer crashed after attempting to download WOLK? I have not attempted to download the game client again, since I am not sure what will happen, so any assistance from fellow gamers or Support Forum Agents will be most appreciated. I attempted to contact a tech person through the phone, but the hold queue was full and my call would not go through.

Thanks again in advance.
Okay, I have the same problem as Rawrmobile (I didn't realize Rawrmobile had a post and I was not as descriptive) and I tried what datth said and (BACK ROUND STORY: got hacked in July and a branch from one of my trees in the front-yard was growing into an electrical wire and the power kind of destroyed my mother's desktop and the power was out) viruses got into the desktop. When the computer was down, the viruses got into the network and destroyed my laptop. I recently got it back and got Cata on Tuesday. I've uninstalled, reinstalled, I've repaired. NOTHING! The play button is grayed out still. So I tried to unlock the game, due to the viruses I formally had, McAfee has shut itself down from use and can't access it.

Is this due to viruses or the very bad battery I have? (The battery life is dead and the laptop will only work if the charger is in)
Oh and one thing, I just got avast AntiVirus so I have something to protect my laptop, is there anyway I can unlock it from there?
Edited by Punisherx on 12/11/2010 7:09 AM PST
99 Tauren Hunter
I just bought BC for me and my roomie... DONT install from the disks. just go to your blizz account and add the key. the BC and WoTLK are already there... I kept getting the install errors on the BC disks... so I just logged into WoW (which is upgraded to 4.03) and was able to get into all the BC content without having to install anything from the disks. I did my own upgrades first in case of glitches such as this. my roomie bought WoTLK BEFORE buying BC.. mistake on her part... but it was the same with her upgrades.. dont use the disks, just go to your blizz account. put in the expansion keys.. and then log into your upgraded ( to 4.0.3) WoW game and all the content is already there... it's so much easier than having to install from all the disks. I applaud Blizz for that.

I am running dell Optiplex 755 with Core2Duo vPro 2.4ghz, 4gb ram, 1tb HD, and nvidia 7600gt video. people say my vid card sucks, but im getting 56 fps. and the system is upgraded to win 7 ultimate.
so it's not a matter of OS or Hardware... everything you need is already there thanks to Blizz. just add your keys to your account.
Edited by Fuzzywuzher on 12/11/2010 6:08 PM PST
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]