Don't install BC or Wrath if you're at 4.x

(Locked)

90 Troll Mage
11/12/2010 3:40 PMPosted by datth
You can install a base game of any flavor (1.x, 2.x, 3.x) and then patch to 4.x fine. You can't start from a patched game (4.x) and then install 1.x, 2.x or 3.x on top of that.

Great! So if I install from the battle.net link all I need to do is run the 4.0 installer from there and patch to 4.06 or whatever, and I have all the content?

Would I need to apply the other patches/expansions somehow?
76 Draenei Death Knight
I have completed installing all the patches up to the most current one 4.(something). At least, the initial game screen says "Up to Date."

But, there is something terribly wrong. Something got 'tangled' in the process, and now I can no longer have the game load the way it used to do (before the patching process).

Question:
Can I safely delete my entire "World of Warcraft" folder (including all its sub-folders) from my hard drive, and then go online to my bnet account and download the game in its entirety (with current patches)? I have misplaced my Wrath of the Lich King CD, so that's why I'm asking if I can 'start over' from scratch, having my bnet account install everything for me.

I do not yet have the Cataclysm expansion. I'm using the WLK.
90 Dwarf Hunter
Thank god, I've been searching the net for days and trying all kinds of little tricks to get around this admin problem... Glad to finally find a blue post and prove my new computer isn't just bugged :P Thanks admin!
Support Forum Agent
So can I still use the CD key out of the boxes? Might seem like a silly question but I don't really have the patience to dig through 8 pages of this thread for the answer.

Or would I be better off buying it digitally?
Yes, you can still use those authentication keys to upgrade your game account. You just don't need to install the discs. The server unlocks the expansion pack stuff and feeds your game the files it needs.

I have completed installing all the patches up to the most current one 4.(something). At least, the initial game screen says "Up to Date."

But, there is something terribly wrong. Something got 'tangled' in the process, and now I can no longer have the game load the way it used to do (before the patching process).

Question:
Can I safely delete my entire "World of Warcraft" folder (including all its sub-folders) from my hard drive, and then go online to my bnet account and download the game in its entirety (with current patches)? I have misplaced my Wrath of the Lich King CD, so that's why I'm asking if I can 'start over' from scratch, having my bnet account install everything for me.

Yes. You can delete the game folder.

Keyboard not detected!
Press F1 to resume
A Steamy Romance Novel http://www.surveymk.com/s/RHXXKHK
90 Troll Mage

Question:

pretty sure that yes

download the installer off of battle.net. it will install roughly ten gigabyes of stuff. this is pretty much the entire game. My prior installation was around 30gb. The game is apparently considerably smaller than that, as far as I can tell.

once this patch applies I should be able to play just fine; we'll see in a few hours
Edited by Muhodogu on 3/9/2011 1:34 PM PST
Awesome, I just saved a lot of time by reading this post.
Lakktos, I'd install Cataclysm from the DVD first and then patch. It's better than what I did.
I dug up my old WOW 5CD pack and installed that then let it update to 4x overnight.
32 Undead Rogue
today 4.1 came out and when i tried to download it. it would now let me and i already managed my firewall to blizz installer but it still wont let me download 4.1
32 Undead Rogue
never mind i feel dumb now lol i just had to restore the files that norton thought were corrupted
55 Human Warlock
question i was downloadin it off the website and i got past step 2 and had 4.0 gb left then i clicked play and went back it was reset to 8.0 wat happend? can i fix this because it took a wile to download
55 Human Warlock
question i was downloadin it off the website and i got past step 2 and had 4.0 gb left then i clicked play and went back it was reset to 8.0 wat happend? can i fix this because it took a wile to download
57 Undead Death Knight
Bah this lovely reinstall is what I get for not checking the forums. I assume this 9+ GB download is all I need to get back on track? I made the mistake of installing LK after patching, which seemed to go fine. Then I found this thread while looking for a graphics solution (still not found BTW), and followed the advice of delete and reinstall. I'm wondering now if that was really necessary. :/
Edited by Dumáss on 3/16/2011 6:04 PM PDT
40 Blood Elf Warlock
Haha after waiting two days for the thing to DL directly, I found a post suggesting you install using your latest disk. Am doing that now; hopefully it wont' take so long to patch to 4.XXX now. XD Whoever downloaded it fast, you must have a better connection speed than I do! I'm sick of waiting.
Support Forum Agent
03/15/2011 7:26 PMPosted by Dazare
It did that because you also have to install Wrath of the Lich King (your current posting account). The default install only goes up to Burning Crusade until your account tells it to download more files.

Keyboard not detected!
Press F1 to resume
A Steamy Romance Novel http://www.surveymk.com/s/RHXXKHK
90 Blood Elf Paladin
i need some help, im intalling wow for my gf, i installed the first disk which was fine
but when i put BC in it didnt give me the option to install only to play.
I have tried all the other disks and none of them will install except for cataclysm,
Can anyone tell me what im doing wrong???
90 Undead Warlock
hello, i had to reinstall windows and lost the game completely. i have Cataclysm so where do i begin to reinstall the game?
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
03/21/2011 11:33 PMPosted by Ludelil
hello, i had to reinstall windows and lost the game completely. i have Cataclysm so where do i begin to reinstall the game?

You would go to the link posted on the front page, and download that. Then just login and play normally.

Yes, it's a large download. But this is a game that has been around for numerous years with countless updates.

And to anyone who is confused about how to "upgrade" your game. It's best to just not use the discs at all.

If you are just starting for the first time ever (trial account):
The game download you get I'm pretty sure will give you everything you need up to cata, so if you buy the new expansions you just have to add the CD Keys to your account on B.Net and login and you'll be able to play. If that isn't enough, the game will download what you need. Don't use the discs.

If you're a veteran player who is just getting BC or Wotlk, or even Cata:

The game already has the data it needs for all of those games, just simply add the CD Key to your B.Net account and login. The game will automatically download what it needs.

The downloads will be large, there is no way around that. Any way you look at it you'll have to download those large patches, so just avoid using the discs entirely.
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
i need some help, im intalling wow for my gf, i installed the first disk which was fine
but when i put BC in it didnt give me the option to install only to play.
I have tried all the other disks and none of them will install except for cataclysm,
Can anyone tell me what im doing wrong???

You already have all of the expansions installed. Just add the CD Key to her account and log into the game.
Taamer is right, this is retarded. i had WoW playing fine on my computer for weeks, decided to buy TBC, ran the disc numerous times as it kept failing at 75 percent. then decided to try playing the original, and it wouldnt start!
Thanks blizz for keeping everyone informed on how to download your game
guess ill start from scratch, along with the 11gb update.

UGH =(
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]