the frost mage mastery change...

90 Blood Elf Mage
Mastery: Frostburn no longer gives bonus damage to all spells against frozen targets. Now Fingers of Frost now increases the damage of Ice Lance by an additional 16%, and Brain Freeze increases the damage of the instant Frostfire Bolt by 16%.

Sooo

If only Ice Lance and FFB are buffed by 16% (which they also benefits from mastery on live)
Could we say that frost mages mastery is pretty much removed from the game??

Blizz. Care to explain this huge and weird change in one patch, plz???
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Actually all spells that you normally use on frozen target will be nerf by the % of your mastery while FoF and BF will stay the same.

FoF and BF will stay the same since they already benefit from the live Frpstburn. Loosing the live Frostburn and gaining the new Frostburn will put them at the same damage. You won't see any change in *PvE raids* (only damage on adds you could freeze will be affected).

Otherwise, Frost will be garbage in PvP if Frostburn will give the same % increase compared to the actual Frosbourn % increase.

Why will Frost be garbage? The only time you can kill a target with FB is if you time everything in a DF. If we loose the actual Frostburn (increased damage to frozen target), Frost mages won't be able to do any damage in a DF and all lvl75 bombs will hit like wet noodles.

NT on a frozen target will only gain from the Shatter effect and will crit for roughly 3-5k while it crits for 6-8k at the moment, depending on your proccs.

Only 2 options to make this mastery viable:

-Decrease the value it takes to get 1% from mastery rating. Higher % increased damage from mastery rating (for the new Frostburn) comapred to the live Frostburn % increase.

OR

-Increase proc rates of BF from NT/LB and if FB gets dispelled, it gives you a BF.
Edited by Mystikia on 6/19/2013 8:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Human Mage
06/19/2013 07:41 PMPosted by Mystikia
You won't see any change in PvE (only damage on adds you could freeze will be affected).

It'll make a difference against some adds/trash mobs, lots of scenario bosses (including heroics), and of course pretty much the entire solo experience. If this change is aimed specifically at PvP, I'd prefer they simply nerf the Mastery percentage against player targets, because as it stands, it's casting a pretty wide net. If, on the other hand, they actually think Frost is too strong in questing, soloing, against adds/spawns, in scenarios, etc., then presumably that's part of the point of the change.

ETA: Of course, this may be only part of a change in progress. DKs have already been told to wait for tomorrow's patch notes before reacting to some of their datamined changes.
Edited by Lhivera on 6/19/2013 8:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Sorry for the disambiguiation. I clarrified what I wanted to say. :)

But we do all agree this is a bigger nerf than making DF breaks on damage like a freeze. It hits all the frost mage community, from the quester/farmer to the pvper.

Mage in questing soloing aren't that great cause we are glass canon. Yes we can kill easily, but we dont have the survivability via mitigation. We only have surviability via CCs and wide controls.
Edited by Mystikia on 6/19/2013 9:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/9341974140?page=1#0 For PTR discussion thread.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Hunters = nerfed

Mages = nerfed

All we need to see is some Lock nerfs and I might start believing that Blizz cares about PVP balance.

However, I'm sure the Mage community will scream bloody murder and Blizzard will cave to them, as nobody can even begin to remember the last time Frost wasn't OP in PVP.
Reply Quote
Well if this goes live as is thanks for killing Frost Mages in pvp!
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
All we need to see is some Lock nerfs and I might start believing that Blizz cares about PVP balance.

Don't hold your breath, sweetcheeks.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Let just nerf everybody!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Hunters = nerfed

Mages = nerfed

However, I'm sure the Mage community will scream bloody murder and Blizzard will cave to them, as nobody can even begin to remember the last time Frost wasn't OP in PVP.

Don't hold your breath, sweetcheeks.

actually warlocks got nerfed pretty hard as well. My suggestion? Read patch notes on more than just your class.
Edited by Fayte on 6/20/2013 1:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Human Mage
I'm going to suggest people try to consolidate feedback here:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/9341974140
Reply Quote
Hunters = nerfed

Mages = nerfed

Calling for lock nerfs from a shaman. That's golden.

I absolutely agree that hunters need nerfs. Shaman (And all the healing hybrids besides spriests) need far, far larger nerfs than the pures do.

Edit: You're resto...on the damage forum...ele off spec..not...sure...if...angry...GAH MY BRAIN

Double Edit: Please...just leave, you've done enough *sobs*
Edited by Flickyourbic on 6/20/2013 1:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Shaman (And all the healing hybrids besides spriests) need far, far larger nerfs than the pures do.

are you trolling right now or do you actually believe this garbage?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Well if this goes live as is thanks for killing Frost Mages in pvp!

Don't you mean killing Frost in pvp and pve? So frost mages will no longer have a mastery? I don't quite understand this proposed change.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
06/20/2013 02:22 PMPosted by Fayte
Shaman (And all the healing hybrids besides spriests) need far, far larger nerfs than the pures do.

are you trolling right now or do you actually believe this garbage?

lmao hes certainly not trolling, ele shamans absolutely need to be nerfed. well i guess nerf isnt the right word, more of a change in the way they deal damage in a pvp setting. if you somehow think ele damage right now is balanced then you're the one who is spewing garbage. the only thing i disagree with him is that ele needed nerfs more than hunters. they both need serious nerfs but bm has a much higher priority. why is bestial wrath still a trinket...
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Obviously the plan is to nerf their damage in PvP and then buff their damage overall so when the target is not frozen they do normal damage, rather than horrible damage and when the target is frozen absolutely insane.

It's bringing a middle line to their PvP damage. PTR isn't over but don't be surprised to see a massive buff coming soon to frostbolt.
Reply Quote
lmao hes certainly not trolling, ele shamans absolutely need to be nerfed. well i guess nerf isnt the right word, more of a change in the way they deal damage in a pvp setting. if you somehow think ele damage right now is balanced then you're the one who is spewing garbage. the only thing i disagree with him is that ele needed nerfs more than hunters. they both need serious nerfs but bm has a much higher priority. why is bestial wrath still a trinket...

Their dps is meh, its just their burst is really good which is a big deal. Do they need to be nerfed? no, do they need their damage refocused on more sustained? yes.

Secondly, notice how he said healing hybrids beside spriest? That is what i was refering to mostly. Last i checked, a boomkin wasn't very threatening.
Edited by Fayte on 6/20/2013 10:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Mage
so frost is no longer going to get a mastery bonus for freezing an enemy, like the frost mage is supposed to. i thought blizz was rewarding players for playing there spec not smacking them in the face and telling them they are playing there class to well by freezing and should start using non frost spells in frost to survive because... can we get an explanation? a GOOD one? in all seriousness i think this will be fixed in the supposed "revamp" for mages next expansion.
Edited by Patrickds on 6/21/2013 12:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
Their dps is meh, its just their burst is really good which is a big deal. Do they need to be nerfed? no, do they need their damage refocused on more sustained? yes.

which is why i said

well i guess nerf isnt the right word, more of a change in the way they deal damage in a pvp setting

its not just their burst that kills people, they can kill people doing their regular rotation with lucky mastery and eote procs..thats the problem
Edited by Wontonsoupp on 6/21/2013 12:34 AM PDT
Reply Quote
06/21/2013 12:34 AMPosted by Wontonsoupp

which is why i said

well i guess nerf isnt the right word, more of a change in the way they deal damage in a pvp setting

its not just their burst that kills people, they can kill people doing their regular rotation with lucky mastery and eote procs..thats the problem

Ah i see. in that case i do agree
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]