Resto Shaman - 5.4 Issues and Concerns

90 Troll Shaman
Here is a list of the issues and concerns that I have with Resto Shaman going into 5.4, and given the most recent patch notes.

1. SLT is not a competitive raid cooldown - It has been made clear that there is no intention of buffing HTT to bring it in line with other raid cooldowns because SLT is our raid cooldown. If that is the case, SLT really needs to be seriously evaluated in terms of how it stacks up to other raid cooldowns. It currently has the following restrictions
(1) Small, 10 yard radius - requires stacking
(2) Short, 6 second duration
(3) 10% damage reduction
Devotion Aura doesn't have restriction (1) and has double the damage mitigation of SLT for the same duration. PW: Barrier has 2.5 times the damage reduction and a 4 second longer duration. SLT has all three restrictions while the other damage reduction cooldowns only have 1 of the 3. The health redistribution effect is only really relevant on fights with debuffs that it can bypass (i.e. Spine). On fights where the entire raid is taking AoE damage from a threatening boss ability, it adds next to nothing.

2. Shaman spread healing has not been effectively addressed. We still have the same mechanical limitations and are still restricted by the range and effectiveness of both Healing Rain and Chain Heal. The Healing Rain radius increase will not really have a major impact, because an extra 4 yards on the diameter of the circle is generally not enough to cover more than melee on spread fights. The mana cost reduction and reduction of the Glyph of Riptide penalty to 75% of the direct heal instead of 90% will likewise not make much of an impact in the viability of that glyph. We are talking about about a 4000 increase in the direct heal with this change. Mana is not really a major issue with current gear scaling and the legendary meta. The problem with glyphing Riptide is that the HoT itself just does not heal for enough or heal fast enough to be competitive with other healers in spread situations or even to be competitive with our other spells.

3. Shaman throughput is unacceptably low - Since the 5.3 healer changes, we have been 20% to 30% behind the top healing spec across all raid sizes and difficulty levels on an aggregate level. While we bring strong utility, that utility was nerfed in 5.3 with HTT being turned into a lesser healing cooldown. Mana Tide becomes less and less critical as a buff the further gear scales, the more healers get meta gems. The fear is with the progressive loss of our utility, we will no longer warrant a raid spot without throughput being buffed to a more competitive level.

4. Lack of a tank cooldown - This is something that is an ongoing issue that has yet to be addressed. Every other healer has an external tank cooldown except Shaman. It is something that should probably be homogenized.

5. Tier set bonus concerns - Earth Shield heals for an average of around 10,000. This makes the T16 2 piece bonus extremely lackluster, and significantly weaker than our current 2 piece bonus. The 4 piece bonus has the potential to be strong, but really needs to not be linked to SWG. SWG is something we cast when we want to heal while moving, and we don't necessarily want to use a major throughput cooldown at the same time. This 4 piece bonus should be linked to a more appropriate spell (possibly Ascendance), or should be something that we can use standalone.

6. Mana Tide Scaling and the "Mana Bot" problem - Having MTT scale off Shaman's personal Spirit is problematic, because it pushes 25 man Shaman into often needing to forgo personal throughput stats for a greater raid wide MTT gain. You should consider either switching Mana Tide back to being a static mana return per player per use or have the Spirit that it grants be based on the receiving player's Spirit level, not the Shamans'. This would free us up to gear to our own personal regen comfort level and not feel chained to a clunky mechanic.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
One additional point - I think that our Mastery is another problem that is holding us back. The design of it may have made sense back at the start of T11, when triage healing was actually necessary, but we have progressively moved away from that model. With the amount of raid cooldowns, absorbs, and new mechanics like Genesis being brought in, health pools do not get low enough or stay low enough for it to be an effective stat. To give you an idea, the average health pool of players that my healing hits (across 13/13 25H fights) is 88%. That indicates that we are getting very little value from our Mastery. Either a buff to the multipliers or an outright redesign of the Mastery itself should be considered.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
To add to this thread, this is the assessment coming from the perspective of a 25m shaman

-Glyph of Chaining giving Chain Heal a 2 second CD instead of 4 seconds.

Minor increase in spread healing capabilities, but necessitates giving up some of our stack healing capabilities to do so (giving CH an equivalent cast time of ~4secs at my haste level). Question is why? Our sustained output in stacked situations are already being matched by mistweavers and paladins, while our burst healing has been overtaken by tranq and hymn. Also, you don't see druids being taxed for their recent buffs to burst healing (wild mushrooms, tranq and the new genesis spell) which has traditionally been their weakpoint.

-Glyph of Riptide reducing the initial heal by 75%, down from 90%.

Again another penalty to achieve a modicum of ability in spread healing. 1st off, we do not use riptide for the HOT component (the scaling is horrible - 1/2 that of rejuv), more for the upfront heal and tidal waves. Reducing the penalty to upfront heal by 15% isn't really going to do much. For comparison, here are some Maths courtesy of Aurinaux

Old
RT . . . 76347 HPET // 11.42 HPM
RT (G) . . . 59185.66 HPET // 8.85 HPM

New
RT . . . 76347 HPET // 15.88 HPM
RT (G) . . . 62046 HPET // 12.90 HPM

Comparisons
CH4-RT . . . 66826 HPS // 12.76 HPM
CH4 . . . 53461 HPS // 10.21 HPM
CH3-RT . . . 57777 HPS // 10.48 HPM
CH3 . . . 46221 HPS // 8.38 HPM

**Note this assumes no overhealing. In reality, CH4-RT is likely to pull ahead given smart raid targeting.

-Riptide's mana cost reduced by 25% (12% of base mana, down from 16%)

With proper management of cds, mana has never been a concern for shamans above 500 ilvl gear anyway.

-HR's radius increased 2 yards

Pointless as an extra 4 yards still isn't going to magically make HR large enough to cover both melee and ranged groups for spread fights and also isn't going to make a difference for stacking fights either. The main problem with HR has always been the fact that boss mechanics make stacking up unviable (twin consorts: cosmic barrage, heroic dark animus: anima fonts, tortos: whirl turtles/falling rocks, horridon: living poison/freezing orbs/lighting totems etc etc), or the need for constant movement as part of raid mechanics (H primordius: boss kiting from slimes). In these cases, an extra 4 yards doesn't solve the underlying problem: that it is location-limited and suffers in fights that require kiting and/or discourage stacking.

-T16 2P Bonus (New) When Earth Shield heals a target, the target will gain 100% of the amount healed as an absorb.

Nothing much to talk about here.

-T16 4P Bonus (New) Spiritwalker's Grace will also summon a spiritual version of yourself that will mimic all cast time targeted spells for 15 sec.

"Yo dawg, we heard you like cooldowns, so we put cooldowns in your cooldowns so you can cooldown while in a cooldown." The problem comes when we need to use SWG to cast while moving (which there has been no fix as yet). In this case, popping SWG might be a huge waste of cd.

-Conductivity: Talent changed to no longer spread healing/damage to targets inside the Healing Rain. Instead, casting HW/GHW/HS AND NOW ALSO CHAIN HEAL will increase the duration of the HR by 1 second. Same effect for damage abilities for Enh/Ele.

I'll just leave you a quote from another poster, which sums things up best

So someone obviously much smarter than me sat down and determined that, the best way to make me give up HTT or AG is by making my cast time spells increase the duration (1second) of my highest overhealing spell which will probably have narrow use again because once again encounters will most likely have mostly spread out mechanics.

I don't even know why I am laughing so loudly.

Additionally, unless we see some real fixes implemented to our spread and mobile healing, HTT will still be an attractive option as Conductivity further pigeonholds us into the stacked 'niche'.

-Healing Tide Totem: Healing increased by 50%

I'm still for all for making HTT baseline and buffing it accordingly as this is the only way for shaman to burst heal especially if mechanics necessitates spreading out (ascendance has a 20yard range AND requires that your healing rain and chain hit the maximum number of people for maximum throughput, essentially making it a stacked cd). As it is, you can think of healing rain as a location specific HOT. Now that druids are getting their burst healing buffed even further next patch, it seems that the shaman niche has been pushed into "spread and pulsating damage fights", when the design philosophy for other classes have been steadily pushing them away from set niches.

-Stone Bulwark Totem: Initial bubble buffed by 33%

Meh, astral shift is still better given that the cd is being reduced to 1.5mins

-Purification: Now only increases the healing of Healing Stream Totem instead of both HST and Healing Tide.

See my thoughts on HTT above

-Unleash Fury's ELW effect now applies to the Shaman, not the target. This means we can now use the UF buff on any target, instead of only the target we casted Unelash Elements on.

Good change, but I'll rather take PE for a 10% buffs to all heals for 1 min.

EDITED: to add further feedback from posters of this thread. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/9280998325 and this http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/9245745244?page=1
Edited by Fewì on 6/20/2013 7:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
With respect to Resto Shamans, I think the new Conductivity change is better, but I also think overall it's a nerf to the Shaman class. The previous Conductivity had an amazing potential for swing healing.

Despite the improvements to Conductivity for Resto, we can't seem to appreciate them as long as it shares a tier with HTT. If Blizzard isn't prepared to make more radical changes to HTT or that talent tier, then I'd have to recommend keeping the previous Conductivity, even if just to preserve the strength of that tiny niche.
Reply Quote
To elaborate a bit on the Healing Tide issue, from what we have gathered out of GC's Twitter comments is that:

"because Healing Tide Totem is a talent, we don't want to buff it like we did for other raid CDs"

Not an actual quote, but does summarize what GC's intention with Healing Tide is so far. The question we have is: Why is HTT still a talent? It is a raid cooldown which has become a core aspect of the Restoration spec to the point that the other talents have are no real competition. Conductivity, both in its current and new incarnations, does not get any close to the power and utility of Healing Tide Totem. Ancestral Guidance isn't as bad, but still hard to match HTT's output as well as being harder to use and requiring a high mana expenditure to maximize output.

Looking at other specs so far in this patch, we have Resto Druids who were given Nature's Swiftness as baseline under the argument that it was the talent that all RDruids took, and given a new talent in its place. Similarly, Prot Paladins were given Sacred Shield baseline as Holy Shield and a new version of SS created (although it seems this last change has already been decided to be reverted for the next build).

If a talent (as well as glyphs. See: Unleashed Lightning) being used by over 90% of the class/spec population is enough to make something like NS and SS baseline for the appropriate specs, why can't Healing Tide receive the same treatment? Wouldn't it be easier to give HTT to Restoration and add a new talent in it's place? Balancing AG/Conductivity/X would, in my opinion, be much easier than trying to get AG/Conductivity any close to the power of Healing Tide.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Would really love to see an explanation as to the double standard when it comes to the shaman class.

Every healer has slowly moved away from their specific niche and become more well rounded... except Shaman.

Glyphs need to have drawbacks... but apparently only for shaman.

Mandatory talents shouldn't exist, and are adjusted and/or made baseline... except for shaman.

Aside from unintended effects on one fight, Healing Tide Totem has been 100% mandatory since the day it was put in the tree during beta. Chaining & Riptide glyphs have been awful since the day they were put into beta.

Issues didn't exactly blindside anyone.

An entire beta and 3 major patches, and they've done nothing (short of minor tweaks which accomplished nothing) to resolve the issues.

HTT is a talent. Buffing it only makes it more mandatory for Resto. SLT is the shaman raid CD.

Never has it not been mandatory. At this point I can only assume they (the developers) either A) Don't care, or B) Have no idea how to deal with it. I'd really prefer the latter, but I'm leaning towards the former.

Make It Baseline. It is absolutely crucial at this point to our toolkit.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Would really love to see an explanation as to the double standard when it comes to the shaman class.

Every healer has slowly moved away from their specific niche and become more well rounded... except Shaman.

It's worth noting that Shaman performance is currently lacking even on fights where we are able to fully utilize our supposed "stacked healing niche". We are currently at or near the bottom in overall healing performance on stacked fights like Ra-Den, Iron Qon and Megaera. How is it acceptable that we are among the weakest healers even on fights that cater to our strengths? How does this justify the lack of spread raid healing tools?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman

Never has it not been mandatory. At this point I can only assume they (the developers) either A) Don't care, or B) Have no idea how to deal with it. I'd really prefer the latter, but I'm leaning towards the former.

Make It Baseline. It is absolutely crucial at this point to our toolkit.

HTT should definitely be made a baseline Resto ability. My suggestion since the 5.3 debacle has been to make HTT Resto baseline, give it the 25 man buffs given to DH/Tranq/Revival, and move Spirit Link Totem into the talent spot. This would solve multiple problems
1. Shaman throughput would be buffed closer to where it needs to be, with HTT being brought up to standards, and getting an additional cooldown option from the L75 talents.
2. The problem of SLT being inferior as a raid cooldown compared to every other healer raid CD would be resolved by making it a talent
3. Both DPS and healing specs would actually have an interesting choice between a damage mitigation CD (SLT), a healing CD (AG) and a buff to sustained healing (updated Conductivity). This would fix this talent tier and make us finally have 3 viable options.

Nature's Swiftness was made into a baseline ability for Resto Druids, presumably because almost all of them are taking it anyway, and they are also given a new talent to add to their toolkit, without losing anything in return. HTT is taken by 90%+ of Resto Shaman, and in almost exactly the same situation. Why are we not being given the same treatment, especially considering we obviously need overall PvE buffs?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
06/20/2013 08:33 PMPosted by Tiberria
My suggestion since the 5.3 debacle has been to make HTT Resto baseline, give it the 25 man buffs given to DH/Tranq/Revival, and move Spirit Link Totem into the talent spot.

Not a big fan of making SLT a talent. Much rather see T45 scrapped w/ Totemic Projection baseline (trap launcher treatment) and have SLT effectively be our excuse not to have a proper "tank cooldown."

HTT replaced with something interesting. Partial to a water elemental myself, 'cuz... why not. :D

Conductivity(Passive, redesigned preferably)/AG(Burst)/Water Ele(Kinda middle ground, 1MDuration/5MCD treatment)

But regardless, I think we can all agree HTT needs to be baseline and the fact that it isn't is completely absurd. I pretty sure I even read something from Ghostcrawler himself stating that they were afraid to nerf it because it was so crucial to resto healing. I mean what is that? Come on now.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
With respect to Resto Shamans, I think the new Conductivity change is better, but I also think overall it's a nerf to the Shaman class. The previous Conductivity had an amazing potential for swing healing.

Despite the improvements to Conductivity for Resto, we can't seem to appreciate them as long as it shares a tier with HTT. If Blizzard isn't prepared to make more radical changes to HTT or that talent tier, then I'd have to recommend keeping the previous Conductivity, even if just to preserve the strength of that tiny niche.

The new conductivity change won't be better for most fights unless its like raden and you stack for 98% of the fight and even then i still wouldn't really wanna go conductivity because most fights need strong Healing cooldowns and i would want Ag or healing tide.(10m perspective)
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
It's worth noting that Shaman performance is currently lacking even on fights where we are able to fully utilize our supposed "stacked healing niche". We are currently at or near the bottom in overall healing performance on stacked fights like Ra-Den, Iron Qon and Megaera. How is it acceptable that we are among the weakest healers even on fights that cater to our strengths? How does this justify the lack of spread raid healing tools?

^this. seriously, what leg does blizz have to stand on when we are being outhealed in our already-narrow niche fights?! also, i cannot agree more with other posts more pinpointing every problem in detail. i swear, the constructive, critical and creative threads on rshams convinces me that they don't actually have a dev dedicated to us. you could literally take everything suggested, implement it and magically have a better class, thats how (generally) reasonable the majority of the suggestions are. we aren't asking for the world. hell, we're not even asking to be competitive with hpallies. give us a break already. it's getting pretty depressing.
Edited by Metztli on 6/20/2013 8:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
So far the only SLIGHT Buffs we gotten was a revamped conductivity, stone bulwark totem, Riptide mana Reduction , Healing Rain radius increased by 2 Yards. Pretty trash buffs if you ask me, Also i'm kinda curious if blizzard is gonna remove Totemic restoration out of the T45 talents because they already said they were thinking about implementing a talent sorta like mannoroth's Fury.
Edited by Thráll on 6/20/2013 9:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
Very well put Tiberria! I agree on every point.

One issue to add. Not only is our Spread Healing greatly lacking, but we are also arguably the least mobile healer, even with SWG. We have one extremely weak instant + hot on a 6 second cooldown. We can Glyph it to further weaken the ability by reducing the up front heal (read:the part we like) by 75%. And HST. That's our mobile healing toolkit; HST, Riptide, and SWG on a 2 minute CD.

Add to this the fact that the 4 piece makes us choose between using our 4 piece for throughput and sacrificing 1/3 of our mobility toolkit to do so, or use our full mobility toolkit and not get the most out of our 4 piece. Why does Blizzard feel the need to give a downside to every bonus for Resto Shaman?

Also, what seems to be our intended spread heal tool, Chain Heal (don't laugh, I think that's what they want it to be), is the only ability that fills that niche that also has a cast time. This makes it unusable on the move, which is most often when you need this type of ability. Wild Growth - instant, LoD - Instant, Circle of Healing - Instant, Uplift - Instant, Chain Heal - 2.5 second cast.

Suggestion (In addition to those made thus far in the thread): Make Chain Heal instant cast with a 2.5 second CD. Or even better yet, keep Chain Heal as is and give us a new LoD/Wild Growth/Uplift/Circle of Healing equivilent.

The fact is, the homoginization train has left the station and Resto Shaman are still waiting around. Please fix us.
Edited by Luvbacon on 6/20/2013 9:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
As OP of one of the threads listed in another post linked to by the OP here, I'd like to throw out some of the ideas myself and others came up with, some are probably meh tier, some are probably way too OP to add into the class, take them with a grain of salt and melt them down as needed. I do not take full credit for all ideas, they are not all mine. Only some are mine.

• Sentry Totem: (NEW)Works similar to Monks Transference spell, except with a totem placement.
  • (NEW)Spirit Mending: Instant AoE heal that places either HoTs or does a direct heal to the Shamans Target / those surrounding them, with some sort of bonus if cast on one of the Shamans own Water Totems
  • (NEW)Scattered Showers: Mobile version of Healing Rain, possibly shares a CD with Healing Rain, would put a buff on targets in a targeted area who will instead of being stationary can now move with the HoT on them that heals as they go.
  • Cleansing Totem: Works similarly to Mass Dispel in Priests, perhaps just a 6 second duration or less, this would free up the lockdown on Mass Dispel by Priests and Priests alone.
  • (NEW)Water Elemental Totem: Summons a powerful Water Elemental who helps with healing and or buffs the Shaman
  • Healing Tide Totem: Made Baseline
  • Stone Bulwark Totem: Modify it so it casts absorb shields at a target if the Shamans health is full
  • Change 90 Talent Elemental Blast to have a heal component so it's more viable for Resto Shamans
  • (NEW) Added Totem Branch: Spirit of the Wilds
  • (NEW)Spirit of the Wilds Totem: While the casting Shaman is in range of this totem all healing spells are castable while moving, 10 yard range
  • (NEW)Spirit Wolf Totem: Grants all Party/Raid members in range of this totem 15% increased movement speed, 30 yard range
  • (NEW)Spirit Raven Totem: Ravens swoop down dealing damage to targets near the totem (DpS spell, but rounds out the Spirit Branch of Totems I think)
  • QoL: Move Spirit Link Totem into Spirits of the Wild branch
  • Mastery: I don't even know how to make this relevant for normal healing, but emergency healing from 0% health is generally the sign of a bad raid group. Yes it's cool, and it looks good on paper, but in practice it's just sad to see it be worthless most of the time.
  • As I understand it, Shamans are the full pie, while Druids are the long lost cousins of Shamans, who interact with the 5th Elemental aspect of Shamanism, the Spirit of the Wilds. The Wilds aspect of Shamanism is why Shamans can use Ghost Wolf form in the first place, why not expand on that?

This is NOT a list I want to see implemented, this is a focal point for discussion on ideas that COULD, not should, COULD be useful to Shamans.
    Reply Quote
    90 Goblin Shaman
    I agree with everything Tib's mentioned so far.

Here's another one:

Dispels: There are currently 2 classes with a mass dispel:

Priest- they actually have a constant mass dispel.
    Monk: their mass dispel is on a 3 minute cooldown (which is basically cleansing totem with a major heal tacked onto it).

We need cleansing totem back. I'm still trying to figure out the reasoning behind exactly why this was removed from us. The more I think about some of the encounters I've done (heck even some trash packs in MV) the more I think we should get this back.

There are times where certain groups aren't going to have either a monk or a priest in their group.

At least with another class with a mass dispel, it makes the class look more appealing- especially on fights like Horridon in which, unless you do have a monk or a priest, you aren't going to get very far on. It would give a raid leader more options to work with.

I realize this isn't a major, major issue but in terms of dispel balance I don't think cleansing should have been taken away.

Also since Bliz seems so obsessed with absorbs the last couple of expacs and cooldowns this expac, maybe make Stone Bulwark a shaman baseline again but have it work like a mass shielding effect every 1.5 minutes.
    Edited by Jujubiju on 6/20/2013 10:05 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    90 Pandaren Shaman
    Just to add some perspective to the extent of the problem here, all the shaman posters in this thread are geared for throughput, and yet are still experiencing multiple problems with the toolkit and are getting matched or even outhealed in our supposed niche. If this is not enough justification for new spread healing tools (or at least an improvement to our existing spread healing tools) without gimping our stacked healing, I don't know what is.
    Edited by Fewì on 6/20/2013 10:19 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    90 Dwarf Shaman
    Here's an idea I just had for a unique new spell that could fill our LoD/WG/CoH/Uplift niche.

Unity
    Instant cast
    Shares the health of 6 high health raid members with that of 6 low health raid members.
    Will not select a Tank Specialized raid member as the high health raid member.

This could expand on the whole Health sharing thing and also make it make sense in the current raid envirenment of constant movement and spread raid.

Downsides - It wouldn't scale at all with player power level.

Not sure if I'd really prefer this over a straight up Light of Dawn equivilent tbh. To quote my suggestion from a while back;

Scattered Showers
    Instant Cast
    Shares Cooldown with Healing Rain
    Places scattered showers of Healing Rain over the 6 lowest health raid members that heal them for xx over xx seconds.

Not sure if it really even needs to share a CD with Healing Rain.
    Edited by Luvbacon on 6/20/2013 10:17 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    90 Draenei Shaman
    I'm concerned about the recent change to Conductivity. The old Conductivity is a generally poor talent, except for some narrow niches where it is very powerful. For that reason almost no one takes it, which makes it a good talent for the developers to consider changing.

The problem is that the new version of Conductivity still isn't nearly powerful enough to justify taking over Healing Tide Totem or Ancestral Guidance... well, under any circumstances I can foresee. That means we lose the niche uses of the current Conductivity without gaining anything of comparable value.

If the developers can't think of anything better to do with Conductivity than this, I'd be much happier if they just leave it as is.
    Reply Quote
    90 Goblin Rogue
    What I would like to happen since our throughput is significantly lower then any other healer atm.
    Make Healing Tide Totem into a resto only ability
    Increase the base range of chain heal without any cool down penalty maybe not as high as the glyph but increase it so we aren't completely screwed on spread fights
    I think Riptide needs a complete overhaul because right now its completely useless except for tidal waves.
    Maybe making chain heal spread riptide to whoever it bounces too sort of like the monk smart heal would be a good idea.
    Another good Idea is to give riptide to whoever walks over healing rain and refresh if they walk back into it.
    I like the conductivity Idea which will make us more proficient at stacked healing but I still want my healing tide totem I don't want to have to chose between the two.The change to conductivity however does not suit its name whatsoever.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]