The biggest change coming in 5.4

90 Pandaren Monk
The vestigial Use Hardware sound option has been removed.

I'm not sure I can keep playing now.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
What does that mean
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Vestigial is synonymous with useless. An example of a vestigial organ is your appendix; it serves little use to us humans and is just the remnant of evolution. I was just being dumb.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
I still have no idea what you're talking about, seafood boy.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Well damn, this Soundblaster I've had since 1995 is useless now. THANKS BLIZZARD.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
you are a lobster. and will be eaten accordingly
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Hardware Sound in WoW requires the use of Directsound. Directsound does not exist in Vista, Win7, or Win8. You have to be using Windows XP for Directsound.

If you have a Creative Card, you can use Alchemy to translate Directsound into OpenAL and restore hardware Audio when using Vista, Win7, or Win8. World of Warcraft will still disable Hardware Audio if you are using anything but XP, even if you have the option checked, so you would also have to run the game in XP Compatibility mode. Unfortunately this is restricted to 32-bit, meaning you cannot use the 64-bit client.

Although it is still possible to have Hardware Audio when running the 32-bit Client and either running Windows XP, or running in XP compatibility mode and using Alchemy, the benefits of the 64-bit client now outweigh the benefits of Hardware Audio, IMO.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
And Gotnorice swings in with the proper explanation. Not that I understood a word of it, but thanks.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Wait, wait - I can use Alchemy to change the way my computer processes sound?

If I could do that why would I waste alchemy on that and not be out turning my cats to gold?

(I know what he means, just being facetious...)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Explain (256 characters max)