Noob healer needing advice

68 Human Priest
I am still very new to Priest, and am still running 5 man instances in BC - and just need a little advice.

So far healing is incredibly easy. Just shield, heal, spam PoH, rinse and repeat.

Now my question is twofold:

1. Shouldn't spamming PoH cause me to draw aggro? I do it and it makes instances really easy. Will this change once I hit WotLK and Cataclysm? Because I was under the impression that I wouldn't be able to spam PoH, yet I do time and time again. Have I been fortunate to be paired with noob-friendly tanks and that's why I am not seeing any aggro?

2. Aside from that, the only other problem I have had so far is the Death Knights pulling aggro away from the tanks. Is this something that will continue to happen or am I just an unlucky noob to have been paired with other noobs? Or are they supposed to pull agro off the tank and I am just too noob to know it?
Edited by Ecclesias on 6/21/2013 11:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
06/21/2013 11:42 PMPosted by Ecclesias
1. Shouldn't spamming PoH cause me to draw aggro? I do it and it makes instances really easy. Will this change once I hit WotLK and Cataclysm? Because I was under the impression that I wouldn't be able to spam PoH, yet I do time and time again. Have I been fortunate to be paired with noob-friendly tanks and that's why I am not seeing any aggro?

You only build threat by healing at about half the threat that, say, a DPS builds by hitting the boss. And tanks have a huge threat boost they get for being in their tanking stance (Bear for Druid, Stance of the Ox for Monks, Blood Presence for DKs, Defensive Stance for Warriors, and Righteous Fury for Paladins). Keep in mind that you only build threat with healing spells if they actually heal damage, as well. You're likely in groups with more experienced tanks.

2. Aside from that, the only other problem I have had so far is the Death Knights pulling aggro away from the tanks. Is this something that will continue to happen or am I just an unlucky noob to have been paired with other noobs? Or are they supposed to pull agro off the tank and I am just too noob to know it?

This will go on for a while. There are some dumb DKs out there. Don't be surprised when hunters and the like also pull mobs across the room, as well.
Reply Quote
68 Human Priest
I see - usually the PoH doesn't really heal anything. That is probably why I am not drawing much aggro. Your answer was excellent - thank you!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
Honestly, you shouldn't be pulling threat off of tanks. Use your entire toolkit if you want.

Fade is your best friend =D

As far as dps pulling aggro, that's something that's their responsibility to manage. If a tank is slow, they need to wait a few secs before unloading and popping cd's. I learned this the hard way on my lock back in the day, lol. Why threat meters exist.
Reply Quote
68 Human Priest
Honestly, you shouldn't be pulling threat off of tanks. Use your entire toolkit if you want.

Fade is your best friend =D

As far as dps pulling aggro, that's something that's their responsibility to manage. If a tank is slow, they need to wait a few secs before unloading and popping cd's. I learned this the hard way on my lock back in the day, lol. Why threat meters exist.

Thanks.

Yes, I use fade although I still don't really know exactly how it works. I just use it and then run to the tank. That was what an experienced tank told me to do one time and I have been doing it ever since - seems to work.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest

Thanks.

Yes, I use fade although I still don't really know exactly how it works. I just use it and then run to the tank. That was what an experienced tank told me to do one time and I have been doing it ever since - seems to work.

Yep, exactly what you should do =)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Thanks.

It reduces your threat to 0 for the duration of the spell. But, it's important to remember if a mob has only "proximity threat" on the tank (i.e. the tank ran near them but didn't actually TOUCH them), and you have actual healing threat on them, you'll be the only one on their threat table - even if you hit Fade.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
The tank that gave you that advice was definitely smart. :) You ALWAYS want to run to the tank (if possible) when you have aggro because sometimes the tank can't see where the mob went, that way it makes it easier to get it off of you. Fade is one of the most useful tools out there!

As for drawing aggro, it's pretty hard for a healer to draw aggro unless it's either A ) A body pull (you move too close to a mob and it decides it likes your face for lunch) or B ) The tank's having a hard time keeping aggro from the DPS. For example, say a hunter pulls a mob before the tank even gets to look at it, let alone get aggro on it, and decides to Feign Death right next to you, you'll probably end up having a higher threat amount on it than the tank so it'll immediately drop on to you. That's when you want to Fade/Shield yourself and run to the tank.

By the way, welcome to the Priesthood :P
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
06/24/2013 04:51 AMPosted by Yoshimara
As for drawing aggro, it's pretty hard for a healer to draw aggro unless it's either A ) A body pull (you move too close to a mob and it decides it likes your face for lunch)

You can also pick up threat if you are healing, and someone else body pulls ("proximity threat") one or more mobs. And in that case, even if you fade, you will not drop the threat on those mobs because you are the only one on their threat table. That's actually why you stand on the tank - if they're not ranged mobs, they will run up and (hopefully) get caught up in the tank's AoE.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]